PDA

View Full Version : I feel like my recruiter is not giving me info i want.

mmartins169
06-09-09, 04:14 PM
I have been talking to a recruiter now for the past 2 weeks and when the topic of Mos's comes up he isn't giving me much of a selection. I want to enlist in the reserves and very interested in Military Police. The reason for that is because i have a 4 year degree in Criminal Justice. He keeps telling me they don't offer that in CT or Mass. Then i ask if they offer it in New York and they are very quick to tell me no. This list im getting for whats available is very small and not geared toward what i want to do with my life down the road. I know that a recruiters job is to get bodies into Mos's that the Marines desperatly need people in but does anyone who might be from around here have any idea if the recruiter really is telling the truth or am i being treated like some clueless high school kid who has no idea what he wants in life lol. Someone please help!

Thanking you in advance,

Marco

Supersquishy
06-09-09, 04:21 PM
He keeps telling me they don't offer that in CT or Mass. Then i ask if they offer it in New York and they are very quick to tell me no. This list im getting for whats available is very small and not geared toward what i want to do with my life down the road.
Thanking you in advance,

Marco

Your whining, find another career. Your welcome.

NoRemorse
06-09-09, 04:24 PM
Show some initiative and look up the reserve units in each state and what they offer.

Alisium
06-09-09, 04:30 PM
http://www.marines.mil/units/Pages/category.aspx

There you go. And take a moment to fill out your profile please.

temarti
06-09-09, 06:02 PM
The reason for that is because i have a 4 year degree in Criminal Justice.

If you have obtained the degree, why are you driving parts around? The choices you have been given may be due to what the recruiter has observed.

BR34
06-09-09, 07:09 PM
I have been talking to a recruiter now for the past 2 weeks and when the topic of Mos's comes up he isn't giving me much of a selection. I want to enlist in the reserves and very interested in Military Police. The reason for that is because i have a 4 year degree in Criminal Justice. He keeps telling me they don't offer that in CT or Mass. Then i ask if they offer it in New York and they are very quick to tell me no. This list im getting for whats available is very small and not geared toward what i want to do with my life down the road. I know that a recruiters job is to get bodies into Mos's that the Marines desperatly need people in but does anyone who might be from around here have any idea if the recruiter really is telling the truth or am i being treated like some clueless high school kid who has no idea what he wants in life lol. Someone please help!

Thanking you in advance,

Marco

The solution is simple--go active.

ArtyOps
06-09-09, 07:32 PM

Thanking you in advance,

Marco

Listen closely, Reserve units are not like active units. You can count on the major active duty bases having MP's. Reserve MP units are only at a few bases. Just like reserve Artillery units. I wish like hell that Maine had a Reserve Arty Battery but we don't. I would have to go all the way to PA for that.

Your recruiter is not giving you "the info you want" because he is telling you the truth. He could tell you what you want to here but then he would be lying.

ArtyOps
06-09-09, 07:54 PM
Here you go.

http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/Units/index.asp

Search by state and tell me if there are any MP units in CT or Mass. The fact of the matter is your recruiter knows the answer.

Phantom Blooper
06-09-09, 09:29 PM
or am i being treated like some clueless high school kid who has no idea what he wants in life

Probally.......since you are not taking the initiative on your own and researching what is available to you.

You have a degree and are supposedly educated....do a search engine and figure it out.

Did you pay someone to do your homework in school?:evilgrin:

MLMonk
06-09-09, 10:53 PM
Move to a new city with a MP MOS at that reserve unit.

cm22486
06-10-09, 02:33 AM
good initiative on your part for talking to the Corps, despite 4 other branches.

The recruiter can be a lying person, recruiters can also be truthful. Don't ever stereotype though just because you heard all of them just want signatures. It could be a recruiter who plans on getting out soon and is gonna shoot you 100% straight for all you know. He could be telling the truth and keep that in mind. Like the salty guys said, research yourself. Call the reserve unit yourself, ask to speak to a SNCO or something that isn't busy, one will help you out.

The economy sucks right now anyways, go active officer and make yourself a steady, fat check at the same time....guaranteed retirement. Can't go wrong there. You cannot go MP though as an officer unless you have prior law enforcement employment experience, whether it be civilian or active duty military. This is coming from a salty MP I am related to.

Think of it this way, do 20 in the Corps as an officer with that degree....then get out and go be a cop for 20 years, then you are set fat. There is my two cents, hope I helped.

mmartins169
06-15-09, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the help guys its very much appreciated. I have looked for the info on the bases and what they have to offer, but looking at the different bases in the area all i see is numbers and abbreviations. Since i am not in the military i have no idea what any of these bases offer. Either way, i think i have moved on from the whole MP thing and have decided if i cant get that, at the very least i still want to be a Marine so im just gonna have to deal with what's available. For those who wonder why im not going the officer route, I feel that i would not be able to make it through OCS due to the fact that my PFT scores are not all that great. Also i want to see what its like to be enlisted. I feel that the best "Managers" are those who had to work hard for it, not those who are placed there because they are in shape and have a college degree.

srinaldo86
06-15-09, 06:01 PM
Judging from what I read you would want to be a Garrison MP which is more like a normal cop, not a field MP which is basically a grunt with a badge. If you went reserves you essentially throw away all chances of being a garrison MP anyways, you're automatically a field MP.

skipper72
06-15-09, 07:00 PM
You get to CHOOSE? Will wonders never cease ! This Marine was told that the top 10% at Officers' Basic School (Quantico) get to choose their MOS. I was in the top 3% of OBS 3-57 graduates. I chose AntiAircraft and Guided Missile at China Lake and was, instead, made an 0302 Rifle Platoon Commander in 2/8, Camp LeJeune and sent to Lebanon (not Lebanon, PA). We became what the Corps wanted us to be. We went where the Corps told us to go. We did what the Corps told us to do. Amen and Semper Fi!

0231Marine
06-16-09, 07:08 AM
I chose AntiAircraft and Guided Missile at China Lake and was, instead, made an 0302 Rifle Platoon Commander in 2/8, Camp LeJeune and sent to Lebanon (not Lebanon, PA)...

LOL

skipper72
06-16-09, 07:26 AM
Strange thing: when I was on active duty, I never met ANY US Marine commissioned officer who did not work "hard" for it. Even the "Ring Knockers" worked hard to become 2nd Lieutenants. Take it from this mustang, Lad: if you want to be a liability and embarrassment to the Corps, keep dissing commissioned officers as to their "perceived" inadequacies. You should get your ass in the proverbial sling, more skosh !

drillinstructor
06-16-09, 11:58 AM
Strange thing: when I was on active duty, I never met ANY US Marine commissioned officer who did not work "hard" for it. Even the "Ring Knockers" worked hard to become 2nd Lieutenants. Take it from this mustang, Lad: if you want to be a liability and embarrassment to the Corps, keep dissing commissioned officers as to their "perceived" inadequacies. You should get your ass in the proverbial sling, more skosh !

Not only did he diss officers he also dissed enlisted. Does he mean that enlisted are not in shape? Maybe enlisted don't have to stay in shape? Please come to the yellow footprints. Please come fat and out of shape after all you said that you are not in shape so you have to be enlisted.....hahahahe Clueless

Isrowei
06-16-09, 12:10 PM
Skipper, Drillinstructor,

I couldn't agree more on both accounts. I would hate to think that I enlisted because I was fat and out of shape, and then commissioned because I didn't want to work anymore.

And the kid isn't even a poolee yet...

mmartins169
06-16-09, 06:10 PM
Well im sorry you misunderstood me, but what i meant to say was that I feel that's its better to work from the ground up than to just be able to get commissioned because some guy made it through 4 years of college. Anyone can make it though college and I have seen some of the dumbest people get a 4 year degree. I know you guys dont give a **** who I am and what I think and thats fine. Fact of the matter is experiance is always going to privale no matter what. I never once said that people enlist because they are fat or out of shape or that they dont need to stay in shape.

Lisa 23
06-16-09, 07:34 PM
I know you guys dont give a **** who I am and what I think and thats fine.
They did what it takes to EARN the title.....show some respect by calling them MARINES....not you guys.

And try reading the rules.......
[Poolee Rules] Attention New Poolee & Wannabe Members
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048

0231Marine
06-17-09, 07:17 AM
Well im sorry you misunderstood me, but what i meant to say was that I feel that's its better to work from the ground up than to just be able to get commissioned because some guy made it through 4 years of college. Anyone can make it though college and I have seen some of the dumbest people get a 4 year degree. I know you guys dont give a **** who I am and what I think and thats fine. Fact of the matter is experiance is always going to privale no matter what. I never once said that people enlist because they are fat or out of shape or that they dont need to stay in shape.

I'm sure some of those dumb kids that earned a college degree know how to spell prevail. So what's your excuse besides laziness?

KawiGunny
06-17-09, 07:23 AM
I'm sure some of those dumb kids that earned a college degree know how to spell prevail. So what's your excuse besides laziness?

They also know how to spell through. At least I hope so.

Isrowei
06-17-09, 07:42 AM

So you think that getting a degree is all it takes to be a Marine officer?

Kid, you have no idea. Boot camp take 3 months. OCS takes 3 months AND THEN you have TBS which is another 6 months.

No matter which route you go, you will be expected to EARN your place as a Marine. No exceptions. If you haven't figured it out yet, the fundamental difference about the Marine Corps from the other services is that regardless of officer or enlisted, we are all Marines first. There is a commonality and brotherhood that allows us to interact as professionals, regardless of our background or what we wear on our collar. Trying to justify why one is "better" than the other only needlessly creates division and a lot bad feelings.

Now do us all a favor and stop trying to explain it. You're only spitting in everyone's eye.

Enlist if you want. Commission if you must. Make the choice because it's what you decided to do with your life. There is no wrong choice, but by the same token, don't say one choice is better than the other. And certainly don't talk about experience. You don't have any.

0231Marine
06-17-09, 07:44 AM
Sounds like a good place to end this one...

Lisa 23
06-17-09, 08:40 AM
experience....not experiance. Don't you have spell check on your computer or know how to use a dictionary???

KawiGunny
06-17-09, 11:35 AM
Sorry guys. I know this thread needs to dry up and blow away but I laugh every time I read the title to this thread. Seems very common amongst the wannabee's.

"I feel like the recruiter is not giving me info i want"

That part cracks me up.:D

NoRemorse
06-17-09, 11:46 AM
Sorry guys. I know this thread needs to dry up and blow away but I laugh every time I read the title to this thread. Seems very common amongst the wannabee's.

"I feel like the recruiter is not giving me info i want"

That part cracks me up.:D

Well all the kid has to do is go up to him and say "<rank>, are you giving me the straight poop?"

KawiGunny
06-17-09, 12:54 PM
Seems like now-a-days, If someone doesn't hear what "they want to hear", then someone is lying to them.

NoRemorse
06-17-09, 12:57 PM
That's odd, I have an image of this kid in the recruiter's office with his fingers in his ears, nodding his head back and forth singing to himself...

KawiGunny
06-17-09, 01:14 PM
That's odd, I have an image of this kid in the recruiter's office with his fingers in his ears, nodding his head back and forth singing to himself...

Probably has a little home-made radio in his lap too. :D

ArtyOps
06-17-09, 02:16 PM
experience....not experiance. Don't you have spell check on your computer or know how to use a dictionary???

Does using more than one question mark make it more of a question?

KawiGunny
06-17-09, 02:34 PM

You know how hard-headed Marines can be. Sometimes you have to ask 2 or 3 times.:D

Lisa 23
06-17-09, 03:24 PM
Just trying to get my point across.

fairshare1206
06-18-09, 08:03 AM
omg tell everyone else below to jump in traffic and shut up!!!!! look up the mos and search in their criteria what you need. and have you consider gong officer?

-CWO 2 Davenport

thewookie
06-18-09, 08:54 AM
omg tell everyone else below to jump in traffic and shut up!!!!! look up the mos and search in their criteria what you need. and have you consider gong officer?

-CWO 2 Davenport

Are you claiming to be CWO2 Davenport? I think you need to tighten up your profile there. And don't try and BS us cause you won't last long.

Clean up your act.

Covey_Rider
06-18-09, 09:30 AM
Are you claiming to be CWO2 Davenport? I think you need to tighten up your profile there. And don't try and BS us cause you won't last long.

Clean up your act.

I just noticed the same thing. Round is in the chamber and the thumb is on the safety.

Lisa 23
06-18-09, 10:04 AM

-CWO 2 Davenport
Try filling out "ALL" of your profile.....and I never knew that an E-1/Private could be a CWO 2.

Isrowei
06-18-09, 10:04 AM
There is a retired CWO2 John H. Davenport. Not sure if that's who this guy is. Perhaps he's civil service now though I can't find anything to support that.

Highly suspect however.

Also, he needs to learn to spell.

thewookie
06-18-09, 10:35 AM
There is a retired CWO2 John H. Davenport. Not sure if that's who this guy is. Perhaps he's civil service now though I can't find anything to support that.

Highly suspect however.

Also, he needs to learn to spell.

Thanks for checking, LT.

In his other post about bigotry, the poster or poser made a comment about a Corporal that wouldn't listen to him. Yeah, right.

I hate to jump on something before I have enough info, but I suspect this poser is just that.

I just checked the other thread that I referenced above that this poser was speaking in, about bigotry and racism in the Corps, but it has been deleted. Also, the comment section of his profile is gone as this poser has taken the time to remove the ability to leave messages and "cleaned" out the rest of his profile. Something is going on...

0231Marine
06-18-09, 11:56 AM

-CWO 2 Davenport

What the heck is a "Gong Officer"? I take it they're probably part of the Marine Corps Band.

ameriken
06-18-09, 12:00 PM
What the heck is a "Gong Officer"? I take it they're probably part of the Marine Corps Band.

LMFAO!

thewookie
06-18-09, 12:27 PM

That's someone who works the gong on the Gong Show,, with that in mind I'd like to give this guy the stage hook.:D

Marine84
06-18-09, 03:13 PM
Everybody wants to be one, ya'll know how it is.

ameriken
06-18-09, 03:16 PM
That's someone who works the gong on the Gong Show

I guess the gong officers get their training at Barris Island?

charm1110
06-19-09, 12:56 AM
I guess the gong officers get their training at Barris Island?

LMFAO!!!!:D

skipper72
06-21-09, 11:28 AM
...anyone who might be from around here have any idea if the recruiter really is telling the truth or am i being treated like some clueless high school kid who has no idea what he wants in life lol. Someone please help!

...the best thing for you, lad, is to beome "ARMY STRONG." It may just be that they have billets for clueless high school kids who have no idea what they want in life. That failing, try the Guard. Please?

SGT7477
06-21-09, 12:19 PM
Go army.:evilgrin: