PDA

View Full Version : USMCR Question -

Delphi
06-09-09, 05:27 AM
I am seriously considering joining the USMC Reserves.
I have already spoken with a recruiter at great length and understand the process and a fair portion of the particulars and began the paperwork.

I am curious about something I dont think I can get a strait answer from a recruiter, hopefully you guys can offer some clear advice;

1) I am 2 years into a 4 year degree - I would really like to finish the degree program within the next 6 years. I would really like to go active but from everything I am hearing from active friends, there is simply no time or guarantees of time to do any educating while active. I cant afford to allow my hard earned credits expire because im stuck somewhere with no time/opportunity for continued education.

- Are the reserves drawn upon so frequently right now that I will not have educational time? I am hearing from the recruiter that deployments/activation is at about a 2 year rotation right now. Somewhat accurate?

I just don't want to be told the reserves are perfect for those attending school to just be activated every 6 months for a year. I will just go full time active duty for 4 years if that's going to be the case.

2) I know its petty but I have to ask; I understand that you become a Marine the day you get the Eagle, Globe & Anchor - but in reality do actives look down on reserves?

Finally, I just wanted to say thanks for the guys that take personal time to answer questions around here. I have been reading every post and learning everything I can over these last few months. You guys really offer some great insight and help the poolies more than you know!:thumbup:

thewookie
06-09-09, 05:58 AM
I am seriously considering joining the USMC Reserves.
I have already spoken with a recruiter at great length and understand the process and a fair portion of the particulars and began the paperwork.

I am curious about something I dont think I can get a strait answer from a recruiter, hopefully you guys can offer some clear advice;

1) I am 2 years into a 4 year degree - I would really like to finish the degree program within the next 6 years. I would really like to go active but from everything I am hearing from active friends, there is simply no time or guarantees of time to do any educating while active. I cant afford to allow my hard earned credits expire because im stuck somewhere with no time/opportunity for continued education.

- Are the reserves drawn upon so frequently right now that I will not have educational time? I am hearing from the recruiter that deployments/activation is at about a 2 year rotation right now. Somewhat accurate?

I just don't want to be told the reserves are perfect for those attending school to just be activated every 6 months for a year. I will just go full time active duty for 4 years if that's going to be the case.

2) I know its petty but I have to ask; I understand that you become a Marine the day you get the Eagle, Globe & Anchor - but in reality do actives look down on reserves?

Finally, I just wanted to say thanks for the guys that take personal time to answer questions around here. I have been reading every post and learning everything I can over these last few months. You guys really offer some great insight and help the poolies more than you know!:thumbup:

I'll give you my two cents but I'm sure those who have been will elaborate.

1. If you're going active it's going to be more difficult to get college done, that should be self explanatory considering we are a war fighting unit and we are fighting multiple wars.

2. Look at the work being done overseas fighting these wars, it's not just active USMC units. There are units that are comprised of, and/ or augmented by Marine reservists. When I was in back in the 90s, reservists might have been looked down upon, slightly, but it was petty as we are all Marines, active or reservist. Back then, it was a great gig; earn the title and get your school done at the same time. I know guys that did that: I don't think they're bad for it. They don't/might not have the skills that the active guys had, but it's all good. Today that has all changed, being a reservist is much like being on active duty, or at least they are being called upon much more then any other time in their history. Reservists today are fighting beside active Marines and I am sure they are doing just fine. We don't train Marines differently because they are reservist.

Stop your worrying and sign the bottom line. Be a man, serve your country with pride and spend the rest of your life bragging about it.

Alisium
06-09-09, 10:06 AM
I did both active and reserves.

Even with the deployments you have more than enough time to finish school.