PDA

View Full Version : Boy's patriotism guides him to Marines

thedrifter
06-08-09, 08:11 AM
Boy's patriotism guides him to Marines

12:00 AM CDT on Monday, June 8, 2009

By KIM HORNER / The Dallas Morning News
khorner@dallasnews.com

After Sept. 11, 2001, fifth-grader Indio Lawless-Felarca sacrificed his hair for his country.

The patriotic boy made news in December 2001 when he cut off his signature long braid to join the Young Marines, with hopes of one day enlisting in the U.S. Marine Corps – just like his brother.

Now, at age 18, he's still got the regulation haircut. And his dream of becoming one of the few and the proud is coming true.

Lawless-Felarca, who just graduated from W.T. White High School in Dallas, will report to the U.S. Naval Academy on July 1. Competition to enter the academy is stiff, with nearly 11,000 applicants vying for roughly 1,500 spots in 2008. Graduates receive bachelor of science degrees and commissions as U.S. Marine second lieutenants or U.S. Navy ensigns.

U.S. Rep. Pete Sessions, R-Dallas, nominated Lawless-Felarca to the academy after a careful review process.

"Americans today face an evolving world," Sessions said in a prepared statement. "I am glad to know that Indio will be among those very dedicated individuals helping to ensure the security of our nation and the values we hold dear."

The student said his mother and brother, who served four years in the U.S. Marines, inspired his patriotism.

"They basically taught me that freedom isn't free, and if it wasn't for the men and women who served their country, we wouldn't have the freedoms we have today," Lawless-Felarca said. "It's my responsibility to pay those men and women back so future generations can have their freedom."

Lawless-Felarca and his brother, Renno Lawless-Felarca, were featured in The Dallas Morning News in December 2001 when they donated their long braids to Locks of Love, which provides hairpieces for children who have lost their hair because of medical conditions. It was Indio Lawless-Felarca's first-ever haircut.

That donation was a major step for the 10-year-old, who previously had aimed to make history and set a Guinness World Record with his hair length. He has kept his hair short ever since, with the Young Marines and ROTC.

And that braid is not likely to grow back anytime soon. Lawless-Felarca plans to make military service his career. And he is aiming high.

"It's my plan to be the commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps," he said.

Ellie