PDA

View Full Version : Eye Problems

wolves31
06-07-09, 08:01 PM
When I was born I had a tumor that had attached itself to the tear duct for my right eye. I had three surgeries to fix the problem, but they weren't able to remove just the tumor, they had to remove the tear duct as well. My eye has no supply of tears to it, so I have used artificial tear drops all my life. Right now I'm waiting to hear back from my recruiter about whether or not if I am going to be able to join. My question is, during boot camp or when you're working in the field, do your eyes get dry and you have to use drops to relieve them. If a normal person has problems with getting dry eyes, it would be a major problem for me.

thewookie
06-07-09, 08:08 PM
When I was born I had a tumor that had attached itself to the tear duct for my right eye. I had three surgeries to fix the problem, but they weren't able to remove just the tumor, they had to remove the tear duct as well. My eye has no supply of tears to it, so I have used artificial tear drops all my life. Right now I'm waiting to hear back from my recruiter about whether or not if I am going to be able to join. My question is, during boot camp or when you're working in the field, do your eyes get dry and you have to use drops to relieve them. If a normal person has problems with getting dry eyes, it would be a major problem for me.

I'm no Doctor but I think you're gonna have problems. Of course there are times in bootcamp and beyond where you get/have dry eyes. The first thing that comes to mind for me is firing a weapon on the range. You'll get plenty of dry eye there, especially if you can't self tear - and that could effect your performance. And on the firing line in bootcamp you're not going to be able to bust out some eye drops to compensate. Maybe later down the road, but I would think in bootcamp this problem will be an issue. Good luck, listen to your recruiter.