PDA

View Full Version : MarForEur Marines make pilgrimage to World War I mecca

thedrifter
06-03-09, 07:55 AM
MarForEur Marines make pilgrimage to World War I mecca

5/29/2009 By Cpl. Lydia M. Davey , Marine Forces Europe
CHATEAU-THIERRY, France —

Two figures stand resolutely side by side, each clasping the other’s stone-cold hand. Their solemn faces speak of a quiet strength, and a drawn sword reinforces the impression. Their image of French-American solidarity rises more than 30-feet along the west face of the American Aisne-Marne Memorial, but their backs are turned away from the gently rolling green hills of the Marne Valley where tens of thousands of U.S., British, and French service members lost their lives during World Wars I and II. Perhaps they face away as watchful guardians of the land, or maybe it’s grief that keeps them turned.

Whatever the reason, their monument is a perfect starting place for Frenchman Gilles Lagin’s annual Memorial Day tour. This year, the battlefield tour – organized by Marine Forces Europe – was well attended by more than 300 Marines and their families from MarForEur, Marine Forces Africa, Fleet Anti-Terrorism Security Team Company, Europe, Joint Intelligence Operations Center Europe, Analytic Center in RAF Molesworth, UK, and various European Marine Security Guard detachments.

“We start here to get an overview of the battle,” said Lagin, pointing to an ornamental stone map etched into the east side of the monument. The map depicts ground gained by U.S. Forces on July 18, 1918 and thereafter, and is the first of many stops throughout the four-hour tour. “It’s another world for me when I’m on the battlefields with U.S. Marines,” added Lagin. “It’s my passion.”

The Honorary Marine and amateur historian began providing tours in 1995, speaking to military, school and veterans’ family groups out of his vast knowledge of the area’s rich military history.

Personal details, humorous anecdotes and a flair for storytelling made for a riveted audience as Lagin lead the 2009 Memorial Day group from one location to the next, threading the tale of the summer battle of 1918 from Chateau-Thierry to nearby small farms, and from an old well in the center of Lucy-de-Bocage to the apex of the event - Belleau Wood itself.

“(This experience) is a big shot of motivation,” said Capt. Sung Kim, an infantry officer with the FAST Company, Europe. “It’s awesome. It’s especially good for the junior Marines to actually see the ground on which our forefathers fought. We had a tremendous impact here.”

After hours in the dry heat of the early summer French countryside, the cool shade of Belleau Wood came as a welcome relief to the group. However, many Marines couldn’t help but contrast their experience with that of another generation 91 years ago.

“All my expectations were met,” said Chief Warrant Officer 3 Pati Rucobo, assistant personnel officer, MarForEur. “Chills ran down my spine as soon as we stepped foot in Belleau Wood. The first thing that caught my attention was the fox holes. I could have remained there all day and just enjoyed the moment for hours.”

Cpl. Alfonso Torres, adjutant clerk with MarForEur, agreed.

“My favorite part was Belleau Wood,” he said. “Just knowing that you are walking a battlefield where Marines gave their lives up - I’ll take away every bit of information from the (period of military education). It was priceless.”

The day ended with a BBQ in the village of Marigny-en-Orxois, and the opportunity to see Lagin’s personal museum of area military artifacts. Fifteen local nationals volunteered their afternoon to set up, grill out and celebrate with the group. Among them was Martine Grandjean.

“I’m from the countryside here,” she said. “I’ve always been respectful of the Americans. Both times they came. My grandfather fought in WWI and WWII, so for me, it’s about the roots. I come here to keep the memory alive.”

Grandjean and her fellow volunteers made sure the Marines and their families felt welcomed.

“Another highlight for me was the sense of pride and gratitude in and around the entire town,” Rucobo noted. “I’ll take that experience with me.”

Ellie