PDA

View Full Version : MOS Advice

deBeer
06-02-09, 12:11 PM
Currently my MOS is Aviation Mechanic (60xx/61xx/62xx). I joined the delayed entry program back in September and since I was 17 years old I couldn't sign by myself. My parents would only sign if I got a good job that If I decide to leave the Corps I would have something. I picked aviation mechanic cause it seems like a great job and I also have 3 friends that all have it and they love it.

Since then I have recently been gaining interest in infantry to a point of me saying this is what I want to do. While aviation mechanic makes for a great paying job in civilian world, I don't think its what I want to do while in the Corps. I would like to become a police officer or maybe FBI if I met requirements after my service. I have a friend in the Army that's in infantry and he loves it, he wouldn't do anything else. He just left Iraq for Kuwait May, 27.

I went to my recruiter asking if there was any infantry spots open and he said bring your mom in the office and we can talk about it. I have a feeling my mom won't budge. I tried playing the "Its my life and please don't let me be stuck with a job I don't want for 5 years" card but it didn't seem to work.

So I'm basically looking for what both jobs daily life is like and maybe some advice in helping me make my decision and maybe something I can use to help change my moms mind. Also I hear that while in Iraq/Afghanistan non-grunt jobs can choose to go on infantry missions/patrols every now and then...is this true?

KawiGunny
06-02-09, 12:30 PM
As you already know, you are stuck with whatever mom is willing to sign-off on until you are 18. Grunt life is long and hard. So is the wing mechs. Long hours and hard work but they are both worth the effort. We need both to stay in the fight.

As far as you wanting to be a LEO or FBI..... MOS doesn't matter. FBI just wants you to have a degree if you want to be an Agent. There are several other jobs in the Bureau that require a degree but there are a lot of support roles that don't require one. Regardless, you could be a cook and get out and become a LEO.

Supersquishy
06-02-09, 01:00 PM
So I'm basically looking for what both jobs daily life is like

I was in the "airwing", once out of the schools I had to attend, and out into the "Fleet" life was good. I was a 6212 (Harrier jet mech) and here was my daily routine(usually).
0500 wake up, SSS, Either get a bag breakfast or if I was extra motivated move quicker and have Hot chow(eggs cooked to order) morning coffe was a must.
Walk to the squadron and be in 15 minutes PRIOR to having to be there, any later than that expect to have the crappy job of oiling or checking tires..LOL
Work, Work,Work and did I say Work? You name it we did it.
1200 go to chow, mmmmmm
1230 Work, work,work and more work.
1700 Change over and pass down info.
walk back to the barracks, shower(to get the jet fuel smell off) Watch news, study or read a bit, BS with fellow Marines and talk about WORK, get bored with that and go to evening chow, Go out for night run(cooler in AZ), watch a little boob-tube, read until I pass out.
Do it again every day evan on some weekends if were behind on maint.
Weekends- either study what I had to do, go shooting out in the desert with my AK, go flying and scare the crap out of the Marines I take up, or go work on some other hobbies....LOL

FUN STUFF!

deBeer
06-02-09, 01:30 PM
Gunnery Sergeant, I am 18 right now. I don't know if I can (I don't want to say demand) but but be like, I am 18 and I have a right to choose the job on my own? As for as the FBI goes, I mean I don't know how extreme FBI or possibly CIA requirements are but I would like to do something along the lines of anti-terrorism or something that doesn't involve a desk job, like being in the field.

Corporal, seems like a decent hard working day. My only problem with staying with aviation mechanic is I have a feeling I'm going to be working on some aircraft and being like "I should have chosen infantry". You also mentioned flying. Did you learn to fly an aircraft of some sort while doing aviation mechanic training?\

Can any grunts fill me in on whats its like being a grunt on a day-to-day basis?

Supersquishy
06-02-09, 01:41 PM
I had my Private Pilots license then, even some of the Pilots in our squadron didn't have one for civilian use..LOL Anyways The GI bill will pay for Flight School 60% for the Commercial, Instrument,...

deBeer
06-02-09, 01:59 PM
Back in September, my original idea was to take aviation mechanic and if/once eligible I would go to OCS and fly a jet or something, but flying a plane as a civilian isn't for me.

Is LOE and LEO the same thing? And what is it? I'm not very good with acronyms. I googled the two and nothing came up except like astrological signs.

Supersquishy
06-02-09, 02:00 PM
Is LOE and LEO the same thing?
Yea I meant LEO, type, now push!

CBRN5711Tech
06-02-09, 02:03 PM
Gunnery Sergeant, I am 18 right now. I don't know if I can (I don't want to say demand) but but be like, I am 18 and I have a right to choose the job on my own?

You are an adult, decide what you want to do for yourself. You should know that you can choose your own future. If you want to be a grunt then be one. Get out of your ****ing house, mom won't be there to hold your hand the rest of your life.

deBeer
06-02-09, 02:10 PM
You are an adult, decide what you want to do for yourself. You should know that you can choose your own future. If you want to be a grunt then be one. Get out of your ****ing house, mom won't be there to hold your hand the rest of your life.

It has nothing to do with mommy holding my hand. I went into the office and requested to change my MOS to infantry and my recruiter denied my request until my mom came in and said it was alright..

KawiGunny
06-02-09, 02:20 PM
It has nothing to do with mommy holding my hand. I went into the office and requested to change my MOS to infantry and my recruiter denied my request until my mom came in and said it was alright..

Tell your recruiter you are 18 and he needs to do his job.

LEO - Law Enforcement Officer

deBeer
06-02-09, 02:29 PM
Tell your recruiter you are 18 and he needs to do his job.

LEO - Law Enforcement Officer

Next time I go over to the office Ill bring that up.

Ah, that makes sense now. Thanks, Gunnery Sergeant.