PDA

View Full Version : Could I join the Marine Corps?

The Warrior
05-29-09, 10:04 PM
It's my dream to become a Marine someday, but I was born without a right hand. Would the Corps take me? Thank you for your service, and taking the time to answer my question.

ArtyOps
05-29-09, 10:41 PM
I don't think so. I know a Major that lost his hand in OIF and wasn't able to stay in. He could do the pullups, run, crunches. He had a first class PFT but they medically retired him.

I would talk to a recruiter though, don't rely on my sole word.

SGT7477
05-29-09, 10:43 PM
I really don't think you can either but it don't hurt to ask, Good Luck.

CH53MetalMan
05-29-09, 11:06 PM
I know for sure that the Corps will accept recruits that are missing half their brain, but you do need both hands.

I'm sorry to deflate something that you sincerely hoped for, but life is much bigger than the Corps. You'll find other things worth being ambitious about.

Ambition and passion are great traits to have. They make for a more complete life.

The Warrior
05-30-09, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the repiles

The Warrior
05-30-09, 06:39 AM
Is it possible to get a wavier for this?

Phantom Blooper
05-30-09, 06:44 AM
Non Waiverable

b. Hand and fingers.

(1) Absence of the distal phalanx of either thumb (885).

(2) Absence of distal and middle phalanx of an index, middle, or ring finger of either hand, irrespective of the absence or loss of little finger (886).

(3) Absence of more than the distal phalanx of any two of the following fingers: index, middle finger, or ring finger of either hand (886).

(4) Absence of hand or any portion thereof (887) except for fingers as noted above.

(5) Polydactyly (755).

(6) Scars and deformities of the fingers or hand (905.2) that are symptomatic or that impair normal function to such a degree as to interfere with the satisfactory performance of military duty.

(7) Intrinsic paralysis or weakness, including nerve palsy (354) sufficient to produce physical findings in the hand such as muscle atrophy or weakness.

(8) Wrist, forearm, elbow, arm, or shoulder. Recovery from disease or injury with residual weakness or symptoms such as to preclude satisfactory performance of duty (905.2), or grip strength of less than 75 percent of predicted normal when injured hand is compared with the normal hand (non-dominant is 80 percent of dominant grip).

Derived from Department of Defense (DOD) Directive 6130.3, Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, and Induction, and DOD Instruction 6130.4, Criteria and Procedure Requirements for Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the Armed Forces.

:evilgrin:

The Warrior
05-30-09, 07:39 AM
Thank you for the reply, sir.

SGT7477
05-30-09, 08:44 AM
The way it looks you are chit out of luck.

sgt Jensen
05-30-09, 10:50 PM
wish you could join join we need more people that dont want to limmit thierselfs to what they where born oooooooorah

The Warrior
05-31-09, 06:38 AM
Idk I still a have four more years, maybe things might change.