PDA

View Full Version : Access to pay while in boot camp

stevemorales816
05-28-09, 07:27 PM
Access to pay while in boot
Will my wife have access to my pay while in boot? My recruiter told me I "should " be allowed time to transfer money from my Marine account to my primary account. Now is that up to the DI and his mood? I need to know for sure because 13 weeks is a long time for my family to go with out money.

Hodgesml
05-28-09, 07:36 PM
I got issued Chits instead of money. I don't even remember them asking me banking info until i hit Camp Pendleton for MCT. Even when it does hit while your in Bootcamp it won't amount to anything.

commdog7
05-28-09, 07:51 PM
I don't know anyone who has done it, but you should inform the Senior DI and he will arrange for you to go to the bank.

Hodgesml
05-28-09, 07:55 PM
Good one Commdog, I bet your SDI will be right on that one.

commdog7
05-28-09, 08:01 PM
My SDI did it. When a recruit had a serious issue with their pay, my SDI would arrange a trip to the bank (same with legal).

When I was in boot camp, I received a late h.s. graduation present in the mail- it was a check. I was afraid it would expire when I graduated so I didn't know what to do. All I could think of was to inform the SDI, so I did. My SDI allowed for me to go to the bank to do what I had to do; I got yelled at and quarterdecked too of course....

Stromberg
05-28-09, 08:01 PM
While I was in boot camp they had chits that we could fill out to send money home, but you had to have a good reason for it such as to pay bills etc...

But as Sergeant recommended, talk to your Senior Drill Instructor and he should be able to help you out with it.

dizark
05-28-09, 10:29 PM
In my original platoon, I can't recall a time ever being asked if any of us needed to get to the bank to send money home. I didn't even know this option existed during training. When I got back to training with my new company, it was a weekly thing for those who really had to send money home. I'm assuming it depends on your situation or on your SDI.

stevemorales816
05-31-09, 01:25 PM
Ok. Thanks Marines for your feedback. I wanna save up a couple of grand so when I'm in boot, but having a family and saving three months worth of pay is almost impossible in a short period.

DobbinsBlythe
05-31-09, 06:07 PM
When you set up your accounts, you have the option to set up your direct deposit to go directly to your current bank account or to your NEW FSNB or NFCU acct. Just make sure you have your routing and account information when you get there for your current bank account. My husband was able to deposit to his existing bank account where I could pay his bills for him while he was gone.

Hope this helps.

stevemorales816
05-31-09, 11:55 PM
Yes. Thank you DobbinsBlythe for the info. Was he able to use his existing bank account to buy things while in boot camp or did he have a military account for that?

DobbinsBlythe
06-01-09, 05:29 PM
Ummm, I don't exactly remember. I know he was supposed to have like 20 bucks when he left...?

I think maybe they deducted it from his pay or he may have used his new bank account for that. I really don't know. I do know that as long as you mention to your SDI you and your family will be taken care of. They're not going to let your family suffer just because they want YOU to suffer.

I've said it time and time again--Marine wives can make life wonderful for all Marines in the near vicinity of theirs.. OR they can make life hell for all Marines in the vicinity of them (the wives).

If she ends up not getting anything to pay for bills and food and for your family back home, she CAN (but it's not recommended unless you don't get ANYWHERE with it on your end) call up the command. DO NOT let her do this unless you have done EVERYTHING in your power to take care of them. Your SDI will try his best to make sure you and your family will be financially taken care of.

No Marine wants his or her Marines to suffer financially or maritally if they have anything to do with it. (Regardless of how much they make you physically and mentally suffer).

:D

stevemorales816
06-02-09, 12:27 AM
Sounds good to me. Hopefully everything goes smooth for me in boot. Thank you for your time and info.

NoRemorse
06-02-09, 07:18 AM
You get a recruit debit card that's good for use at the PX. There's $300 on it initially... it comes out of your pay.

You'd also get a debit card after they sign you up for FSNB. FSNB sucks, NFCU is superior. You can also request that partial draws or allotments be made to a regular bank account if you wish to maintain one account at home and another with the Credit Union.

Your idea of saving up a few grand is definetely the way to go. There's no better time to be financially savvy or secure then before the tumultuous, turbulent time that is MCRD.

gjewell
06-02-09, 11:55 AM
Yeah I would also suggest the saving up beforehand. I just graduated from MCRD San Diego, and had some bills that I needed to send money back home for. I got it done once during first phase after that I tried again but there just wasnt time. I ended up 2 months late on my jeep payment and insurance. Getting it taken care of now that im on boot leave though. Good luck to you.

devildame
06-03-09, 05:11 PM
Don't let this happen to you. Enlisting in the Armed Forces makes you eligible for the benefits that fall under the Servicemember's Civil Relief Act (SCRA). Car payments can be deferred, credit...

stevemorales816
06-04-09, 02:08 PM
Thanks Marines for all of the feedback. I really dont care if I get it from the D.I.'s. Just want my wife to have money.