PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding the CAR

crasha51pan
05-26-09, 07:18 PM
The ribbon came into existance in 1969 but was made retro to 61, I believe. How does a person go about finding out if they rate that ribbon ? My tour was 66/67, I have been shot at and returned fire, who would I contact to get that info ?

Thanks....Semper Fi !

sparkie
05-26-09, 09:16 PM
While still in, I warrented it. Now, my DD214 doesn't list it. It's true, I never deserved it, but why was it authorized back then?

Wyoming
05-26-09, 09:40 PM
That blows Sparkie.

You need to get an update, to a DD215.

sparkie
05-26-09, 09:50 PM
Big AL,,,,,,,, I never deserved it, and WILL not claim it,,,,,,,,, Just wore it for awhile,,,,,,

SGT7477
05-26-09, 10:05 PM
While still in, I warrented it. Now, my DD214 doesn't list it. It's true, I never deserved it, but why was it authorized back then?
Damn Sparkie and here I thought you were a MOH recepient,lol.:D

sparkie
05-26-09, 10:13 PM
YEP,,,,,,,, MOH,,,,,, After 38 years of weddid bliss,,,,,,,,,,Oh and 7477,,,,, Stuff it.... LMAO.

Quinbo
05-26-09, 10:17 PM
The CAR is just another ribbon ... you aint special if you have one. I could easily throw away all ribbons badges medals etc. The only one that is important to me is the National Defense Service Medal. There are members on this forum that have awarded themselves a CAR so go ahead.

I was looking at cars the other day. Dang if them new mercedes aint expensive.

sparkie
05-26-09, 10:22 PM
Bob,,,,, You friggin know I could never do that,,,,, Nor could you,,,,,,,, I am what I am. I tried hard for that damm ribbon, but never got there. I'm just glad to call you friend.

Quinbo
05-26-09, 10:28 PM
Sparkie I hope you didn't think that post of mine was pointed at you. We both know what each other has been through. It is hard to do a internet point for sure.

sparkie
05-26-09, 10:32 PM
Bob, didn't take it that way,,,,,, But if there are fake Cars 'round here,,,, I got some faces to spit in,,,,,,,,,,,
You know what I mean, Bob,,,,,,, Too much blood under the bridge for that ****........

Wyoming
05-26-09, 10:54 PM
:iwo:

The Best Medal is a Live Man's Smile!!

:flag:

SGT7477
05-27-09, 08:34 PM
YEP,,,,,,,, MOH,,,,,, After 38 years of weddid bliss,,,,,,,,,,Oh and 7477,,,,, Stuff it.... LMAO.
Chill out Sparkie I hate stuffing,lol.:D

DocGreek
05-27-09, 11:08 PM
Hope everyone likes this!!....DOC

DocGreek
05-27-09, 11:18 PM
SORRY....I don't know how to enlarge those scans!!...check my albums, much better image.....DOC

echo3oscar1833
05-28-09, 08:45 AM
The CAR is just another ribbon ... you aint special if you have one. I could easily throw away all ribbons badges medals etc. The only one that is important to me is the National Defense Service Medal. There are members on this forum that have awarded themselves a CAR so go ahead.

I was looking at cars the other day. Dang if them new mercedes aint expensive.

Well said Sgt. My National Defense Medal is the most important to me as well. To me that medal stands as a Symbol for all of those who served there country in a time of war. Granted unfortunatly there are some that never served during declared war, or were in actual combat during Peace Time that never got one. Most relavent example from the mid 1970's to 1991 I believe when the Cold War(Yes the I know the Cold War started way before the mid 1970's) , Beruit, Grenada, etc was going on. But that is a different topic. Granted Im proud of My Global War on Terror Service Medal as well, but I only got two medals and a shooting badge. I really aint worried about it though.:D

crasha51pan
05-28-09, 09:24 AM
Am a bit surprised at some the reaction to the CAR. "If" a Marine/Navy rated that ribbon, you would think it would be one of his "most cherished". Don't want to get into a debate about ribbons in general, I understand those views.
National Defence, War on Terror, all are special and mean different things to different people...the Car would also be special to those that rate it.
Don't see the need to belittle the award...

Quinbo
05-28-09, 10:33 AM
I have seen so many strut around acting like if you don't have a CAR then you are less of a Marine. I've tried to take an oposite stance on that. A Marine without one is no less a Marine than a Marine with one. Didn't mean to seem belittleing to the award.

thewookie
05-28-09, 10:55 AM
Sorry, but the National Defense is the Fire Watch ribbon if you ask me, and since I was on fire-watch on Parris Island in February of 1991, it's absolutely true.

I'm not sure the CAR is the most important or means the most, mainly because they restrict who gets it or it almost becomes political for some guys. Makes me think of the Army with grenade badges or something.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be criteria for the award but sometimes it's like winning the MOH - you gotta die for it.

All of the sudden some guy gets a CAR and he thinks he's GI Joe Greatest American Hero or something. But he might have just sniffed it, or got hooked up, I dunno. I don't have one so I guess I'm sour.:cry:

I think it's great to take pride in ribbons and medals and all, but the things I was always most proud of was my 300 PFT, and multiple expert awards in both weapons, in a lot of weapons.

Those are things that each individual directly controls the fate of, and to me that has always been the most important.

It's not someones opinion, judgement, thought, or anything else, it's just me and the goal.

I know guys that were over there and saw plenty of sheet, but for whatever reason they don't have a CAR - WTF, Over?

Blues65
05-28-09, 12:55 PM
I assume a CAR is the Combat Action award; I didn’t have one listed on my DD214 either. One of the guys in my platoon told me that the Combat Action award and two Presidential unit citations were awarded to our unit after we left the Marine Corps. He told me he talked to our old unit lieutenant and the lieutenant (now retired Lt. Col) was able to certify his eligibility and they were added to his DD214.

I don’t care much about which awards are on my DD214 but I wish I hadn’t given away the T-67 Iron Man ID Bracelet given to me at Boot Camp graduation, by the MCRD Base Commander. My old girl friend probably throw it away years ago, at least I still have the photo.

oldtop
05-28-09, 01:35 PM
FYI anyone interested: If you served in combat prior to 1969 and think you might rate the CAR, obtain and complete a SF180 from the VA, on the line marked "other info/docs requested", state the following: I request award of the Combat Action Ribbon pursuant to Section 564 of Public Law 106-65 for combat actions against hostile enemy forces.

Mail your completed SF180 to:

Bureau of Naval Personnel
Laison Office, Room 5409
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

Usually takes about 6 months to get the reply and award in the mail. At the same time, you can also request that they research your record and issue any other awards you earned that were not made until after your EAS.

Semper Fi

ggyoung
05-28-09, 04:10 PM
The car came about after a bunch of cry babies wanted something like the army's combat ribbon. Also it came about durning one of Americas lowest times. It was meant to be a "atta boy" reward to lift your sperits to make you like the top brass better.

wsky9er
05-28-09, 04:29 PM
I got out of the Marine Corps in july of '69 before the car was authorized. When I found out about it a couple years ago I went through the process of applying for it. I got a reply from HQMC that because I was in artillary I didnt rate it but if I thought I did I needed affidavids from 3 eyewitnesses saying they saw me in a bonofide firefight. I figured that was alot of trouble to go through, besides how am I going to find 3 Marines who saw me 43 years ago:(

DocGreek
05-28-09, 04:47 PM
WOOKIE....I'll be nice!! The M.O.H. is NOT WON...it's AWARDED! The Combat Action Ribbon is AWARDED for obvious reasons. If you are wounded, or suffer ANY ill side effects, from your Duty with a Marine Line Company, while in a WAR zone or Theater, THEN....you are able to claim the disability as Combat related.....DOC

sparkie
05-28-09, 07:49 PM
When I joined the Marines at 17, I sure as hel felt I had a job to do. I didn't get to do that job. Instead, I got 'educated' and was too 'important' to get shot at. "We don't need no Stinkin Badges". That I didn't get the CAR on my 214 was not the question. Me, and my unit wore it for a time,,,,,That was the question. Even after transfeers, I/ We wore it till I got out. {And I'll say again, we didn't deserve it}. It was just a Uniform U question,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Now,,,You Gyrenes wanna fight??????? Lets get it on,,,,,,,,,,,, I got another beer left,,,,

thewookie
05-29-09, 07:52 AM
WOOKIE....I'll be nice!! The M.O.H. is NOT WON...it's AWARDED! The Combat Action Ribbon is AWARDED for obvious reasons. If you are wounded, or suffer ANY ill side effects, from your Duty with a Marine Line Company, while in a WAR zone or Theater, THEN....you are able to claim the disability as Combat related.....DOC

Nice catch, Doc, I fugged up there. No offense intended. :sick:

DocGreek
05-29-09, 08:15 AM
NOT A BIG DEAL!! My DD215 has sh!t on it that I've never heard of! STILL waiting to hear about my "Pink Hearts"!! I was sent a "form" letter to say that BUPERS would check into it, but could take MONTHS!! Like you, I really don't give a crap, just as long as they keep sending me the money...honey!!....DOC

davblay
05-29-09, 09:18 AM
My fellow Marines, if you take all the ribbons, medals, and certificates that you were awarded to any coffee shop, along with $1.25, you can get a cup of coffee!

My point is, unless you are with other service people, or vets, no one gives a dam about them because they don't know what they are! I doubt that 1 in 10 people even know a MOH when they see one!

As old FISTFUL always says, "IT AIN'T THE CHEST CANDY THAT MAKES THE MARINE"! Every Marine that finished Boot camp and earned the title is a Marine in my book!

Semper Fi,

Dave

oldtop
05-29-09, 09:56 AM
For all of the vets on this board that have applied, or intend to apply to the VA for service connected disability for PTSD, listen up!!! Having the CAR will make approval of your claim EAISIER and FASTER! The VA recognizes certain awards as presumptive proof that you were subjected to a "stressful incident" beyond what the everyday member of the armed forces is subjected to. Those awards include ANY award for Heroism or Valor, the Purple Heart, or the CAR. Any of these awards means that you are 1/3 of the way to winning your claim from the get-go. All you need then is a current diagnosis of PTSD, and for the doc to say that your PTSD is the result of your military service (the link between military service and the PTSD) and you are home free. Think about it, if you participated in combat and the CAR is not listed on your DD 214,and you did not get the Purple Heart or some award for Valor, submit that SF 180 to the address that I posted earlier, because it WILL speed up ypur claim and make it eaisier and less frustrating for you.

Semper Fi

OldTop

crasha51pan
05-29-09, 06:40 PM
You Earned The Title "MARINE" upon Graduation From Recruit Training. It Wasn't Willed To You, It Isn't A Gift. It Is Not A Government Subsidy. Few Can Claim The Title, No One May Take It Away. It Is Yours Forever !!!

Am Still Gonna Claim The CAR, Will Let Ya Know What Happens.....

CH53MetalMan
05-29-09, 09:27 PM
I don't know for sure if this is true or not, but I read somewhere that the U.S. Armed Forces never awarded any medals or ribbons before the U.S. Civil War.

If true, then I suppose being a living Veteran was enough honor in those days.

crasha51pan
05-29-09, 10:33 PM
Don't think ribbons or medals show honor. Everyone who stood in the yellow footprints and put on the uniform showed "Honor". Think that ribbons and such just tell a story...IMO

SGT7477
05-29-09, 10:39 PM
Don't think ribbons or medals show honor. Everyone who stood in the yellow footprints and put on the uniform showed "Honor". Think that ribbons and such just tell a story...IMO
Very well put Marine, Semper FI.:flag:

SSgt McCord
05-29-09, 10:47 PM
Dont get me wrong I would love to have a CAR, but the most important thing on my Uniform is one thing!! THE EAGLE GLOBE AND ANCHOR!!! Anybody can get shot at or shoot back but only a few can say, "I AM A US MARINE"!! Be proud to know you are Marine and everything else is just simply bull*@*@

"Except for Personal awards, Bronze Star, ect."

PaidinBlood
05-29-09, 10:47 PM
Any one of you can have mine....probably did more to earn it... SF,,, (<~~those are Sparkie dots...)

Quinbo
05-29-09, 10:54 PM
Hang on to it PIB ... later you might be able to claim disabilty. Who knows you might be able to sit at home and play with toys collecting a fat check. The average joe will be at work making sure you get payed.

ArtyOps
05-29-09, 10:55 PM
I assume a CAR is the Combat Action award; I didn’t have one listed on my DD214 either. One of the guys in my platoon told me that the Combat Action award and two Presidential unit citations were awarded to our unit after we left the Marine Corps. He told me he talked to our old unit lieutenant and the lieutenant (now retired Lt. Col) was able to certify his eligibility and they were added to his DD214.

I don’t care much about which awards are on my DD214 but I wish I hadn’t given away the T-67 Iron Man ID Bracelet given to me at Boot Camp graduation, by the MCRD Base Commander. My old girl friend probably throw it away years ago, at least I still have the photo.

The CAR (Combat Action Ribbon) is an individually awarded ribbon, or at least it is now. I know when we put together our list of Marines the met the criterian we had to be very specific.

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/2003/VERIFICATION%20OF%20AWARDS.aspx

Go down to paragraph 3 D and you'll see what I mean.

PaidinBlood
05-29-09, 10:59 PM
Hang on to it PIB ... later you might be able to claim disabilty. Who knows you might be able to sit at home and play with toys collecting a fat check. The average joe will be at work making sure you get payed.

I'd hand over every red cent to bring just one of them back...

Quinbo
05-29-09, 11:04 PM
I'd hand over every red cent to bring just one of them back...

Me too bro.

Wyoming
05-29-09, 11:37 PM
I don't know for sure if this is true or not, but I read somewhere that the U.S. Armed Forces never awarded any medals or ribbons before the U.S. Civil War.

If true, then I suppose being a living Veteran was enough honor in those days.

:iwo:

The Best Medal is a Live Man's Smile!!

:flag:

crasha51pan
05-30-09, 09:00 AM
This is just my opinion, but the Marine Corp dropped the ball on this one !
Weather you are in a artillery unit or a cook or in supply and you spent the night dodging rocket or mortar fire, that's combat by my definition.
If you lost a body part while stuffed in a Ontos or driving a deuce and a half, that's combat by my definition.
To suggest that those people do not rate a Combat Action Ribbon is insane ! You get the feeling that the criteria for the ribbon was written by a person who never stepped foot in a war zone.
I feel that it's time the Marine Corp stepped up and corrected a "big time" injustice here..............IMO !

Semper Fi...:usmc:

Sgt Leprechaun
06-13-09, 07:31 AM
The CAR is still individually awarded. Crash, what do you mean?

crasha51pan
06-13-09, 08:10 AM
I realize it's individually awarded, it's just the criteria that confuses me. The way it reads is "To be awarded the Combat Action Ribbon, the individual must have rendered satisfactory performance under enemy fire while actively participating in a ground or surface engagement". To me "enemy fire" would/should include rocket attack/mortar fire, land mines, hand to hand and I believe that those scenarios are excluded.
If I am wrong, then I stand corrected. Just seems that if the enemy is lobbing mortars at you, that's enemy fire. Land mines (to me) is enemy fire.
Would also wonder about "rendered satisfactory performance". What is that, and who is the judge ?
As I have stated, I have been in firefights/received and returned fire, but it was so long ago (before the CAR) and I am sure that if we were out on a run and ran into a ambush, it wasn't recorded once we got back to our CP. It was a pretty common occurrence. I filled out the paperwork and sent it in, just to see what would happen, guess I got too much time on my hands in my old age but I am curious as to how they handle the request. I feel that a Marine that has been "wounded" by the enemy, weather rocket,mortar,bullet, punji stake, deadfall, whatever, should be able to wear the CAR...
Just my opinion....

Semper Fi !

Sgt Leprechaun
06-13-09, 08:25 AM
You must have been reading the earlier/older criteria. It did, in fact, used to be that way, but it has since changed. It now recognizes all those things. Here is the text of the revised order, dated 6/26/2006 (From an ALMAR message):

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/2006/ANNOUNCEMENT%20OF%20CHANGES%20TO%20THE%20ELIGIBILI TY%20CRITERIA%20FOR%20THE%20COMBAT%20ACTION%20RIBB ON.aspx

CRITERIA: THE PRINCIPAL ELIGIBILITY CRITERION IS, REGARDLESS OF
MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALTY OR RATING, THAT THE INDIVIDUAL MUST
HAVE RENDERED SATISFACTORY PERFORMANCE UNDER ENEMY FIRE WHILE
ACTIVELY PARTICIPATING IN A GROUND OR SURFACE ENGAGEMENT. SERVICE
IN A COMBAT AREA DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY ENTITLE A SERVICE MEMBER TO
THE CAR.
(2) DISCUSSION: ALTHOUGH THIS PARAGRAPH WAS REVISED, THE INTENT OF
THE CAR HAS NOT CHANGED. IT IS INTENDED TO RECOGNIZE THOSE WHO HAVE
MET THE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS IN COMBAT. THE MAIN REQUIREMENTS
ARE: ACTIVE PARTICIPATION IN A GROUND OR SURFACE ENGAGEMENT,
SATISFACTORY PERFORMANCE, AND ACHIEVEMENT OF BOTH WHILE UNDER ENEMY
FIRE. THE PHRASE 'COMBAT FIRE-FIGHT OR ACTION' WAS REPLACED WITH
THE TERM ENGAGEMENT, WHICH IS DEFINED BY REF D AS 'A TACTICAL
CONFLICT, USUALLY BETWEEN OPPOSING LOWER ECHELON MANEUVER FORCES.'
THE INTENT OF THIS CHANGE IS TO BROADEN THE CRITERIA TO ALLOW FOR
RECOGNITION OF SITUATIONS ENCOUNTERED IN TODAY'S COMBAT ENVIRONMENT.
C. ITEM: IMPROVISED EXPLOSIVE DEVICES
(1) CRITERIA: DIRECT EXPOSURE TO THE DETONATION OF AN IMPROVISED
EXPLOSIVE DEVICE (IED) USED BY AN ENEMY, WITH OR WITHOUT THE
IMMEDIATE PRESENCE OF ENEMY FORCES, CONSTITUTES ACTIVE PARTICIPATION
IN A GROUND OR SURFACE ENGAGEMENT. QUALIFICATION UNDER THIS
CRITERION IS RETROACTIVE TO 7 OCTOBER 2001.
(2) DISCUSSION: THIS LANGUAGE WAS ADDED TO COINCIDE WITH THE
CLARIFICATION PROVIDED IN REF B. IT IS IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND THAT
THE IED ISSUE IS THE PRIMARY REASON THAT THE PRINCIPAL ELIGIBILITY
CRITERION WAS BROADENED.
D. ITEM: UNIQUE SITUATIONS
(1) CRITERIA: PERSONNEL IN RIVERINE AND COASTAL OPERATIONS,
ASSAULTS, PATROLS, SWEEPS, AMBUSHES, CONVOYS, AMPHIBIOUS LANDINGS,
AND SIMILAR ACTIVITIES WHO HAVE PARTICIPATED IN FIRE-FIGHTS ARE
ELIGIBLE.
(2) DISCUSSION: THIS PARAGRAPH WAS DELETED AS IT IS UNNECESSARY.
REGARDLESS OF THE TACTICAL SITUATION, IF ELIGIBLE PERSONNEL MEET THE
PRINCIPAL ELIGIBILITY CRITERION DISCUSSED IN PARAGRAPH 2B(1), THEY
ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THE CAR.
E. ITEM: SUSTAINED INDIRECT FIRE
(1) CRITERIA: PERSONNEL ASSIGNED TO AREAS SUBJECTED TO SUSTAINED
MORTAR, MISSILE, AND ARTILLERY ATTACKS ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE IN
RETALIATORY OR OFFENSIVE ACTIONS ARE ELIGIBLE.
F. ITEM: SPECIAL OPERATIONS
(1) CRITERIA: PERSONNEL WHO SERVE IN CLANDESTINE OR SPECIAL
OPERATIONS, WHO BY THE NATURE OF THEIR MISSION, ARE RESTRICTED IN
THE ABILITY TO RETURN FIRE AND WHO ARE OPERATING IN CONDITIONS WHERE
THE RISK OF ENEMY FIRE WAS GREAT AND EXPECTED TO BE ENCOUNTERED ARE
ELIGIBLE FOR THE COMBAT ACTION RIBBON.
(2) DISCUSSION: THIS LANGUAGE WAS REVISED TO MORE ACCURATELY STATE
THE CRITERIA FOR THOSE INVOLVED IN THESE TYPES OF OPERATIONS.
G. ITEM: SHIPS
(1) CRITERIA: PERSONNEL ABOARD A SHIP ARE ELIGIBLE WHEN THE SAFETY
OF THE SHIP AND THE CREW WERE ENDANGERED BY ENEMY ATTACK, SUCH AS A
SHIP HIT BY A MINE OR A SHIP ENGAGED BY SHORE, SURFACE, AIR OR
SUB-SURFACE ELEMENTS.
(2) DISCUSSION: THIS PARAGRAPH WAS DELETED.
H. ITEM: PURPLE HEART
(1) CRITERIA: PERSONNEL ELIGIBLE FOR THE AWARD OF THE PURPLE HEART
WOULD NOT NECESSARILY QUALIFY FOR THE COMBAT ACTION RIBBON.
(2) DISCUSSION: THIS PARAGRAPH WAS RETAINED AS THERE ARE SITUATIONS
IN WHICH THE PURPLE HEART WOULD BE WARRANTED AND THE CAR WOULD NOT.
I. ITEM: PEACEKEEPING
(1) CRITERIA: PERSONNEL SERVING IN PEACEKEEPING MISSIONS, IF NOT
ELIGIBLE BY THE CRITERIA CITED ABOVE, ARE ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE THE
AWARD WHEN THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA ARE MET: (A) THE MEMBER WAS
SUBJECT TO HOSTILE, DIRECT FIRE, BASED ON THE MISSION AND THE
TACTICAL SITUATION, NOT RETURNING FIRE WAS THE BEST COURSE OF
ACTION, AND (B) THE MEMBER WAS IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE RULES OF
ENGAGEMENT AND HIS/HER ORDERS BY NOT RETURNING FIRE.
(2) DISCUSSION: THIS PARAGRAPH WAS DELETED. REGARDLESS OF THE
TACTICAL SITUATION, IF ELIGIBLE PERSONNEL MEET THE PRINCIPAL
ELIGIBILITY CRITERION DISCUSSED IN PARAGRAPH 2B(1), THEY ARE
ELIGIBLE FOR THE CAR. AS THIS MODIFIES GUIDANCE PUBLISHED IN REFS E
AND F, THOSE REFS ARE HEREBY CANCELLED.
J. ITEM: AIR MEDAL
(1) CRITERIA: THE CAR WILL NOT BE AWARDED TO PERSONNEL FOR AERIAL
COMBAT SINCE THE STRIKE/FLIGHT AIR MEDAL PROVIDES RECOGNITION FOR
AERIAL COMBAT EXPOSURE; HOWEVER, A PILOT OR CREWMEMBER FORCED TO
ESCAPE OR EVADE AFTER BEING FORCED DOWN COULD BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE
AWARD.
(2) DISCUSSION: THIS PARAGRAPH WAS RETAINED.
K. ITEM: PUBLIC LAW
(1) CRITERIA: UNDER PUBLIC LAW 106-65, THE CAR MAY BE AWARDED
RETROACTIVELY TO 7 DEC 41.
(2) DISCUSSION: THIS PARAGRAPH WAS MODIFIED TO REFLECT THE CORRECT
PUBLIC LAW.
3. THE REMAINDER OF THE TEXT CONTAINED IN REF A IS RETAINED. OF
NOTE, PARA 230.14.C. THEREIN, WHICH STATES, 'ONLY ONE AWARD PER
OPERATION IS AUTHORIZED,' REMAINS VALID. EXISTING POLICY AND
CURRENT PRACTICE ALLOWS A MARINE TO EARN ONE CAR FOR ELIGIBLE
ACTIONS IN OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM AND ONE FOR ELIGIBLE ACTIONS IN
OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM. HOWEVER, SUBSEQUENT DEPLOYMENTS TO
OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM OR OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM WOULD NOT EARN
AN ADDITIONAL AWARD, EVEN IF A MARINE PARTICIPATED IN ELIGIBLE
COMBAT ACTIONS.
4. NONE OF THE PRECEDING CHANGES IMPLY THAT PREVIOUSLY AWARDED CARS
WILL BE REVOKED; ALL PREVIOUSLY AWARDED CARS REMAIN VALID.
5. AWARDS ARE INSTRUMENTAL IN RECOGNIZING THE SERVICE OF MARINES
AND SAILORS TO OUR NATION, AND THE PERSONAL INVOLVEMENT OF
COMMANDERS AT ALL LEVELS IS ABSOLUTELY VITAL TO MAINTAIN THE
INTEGRITY AND HONOR OF THE NAVY AND MARINE CORPS AWARDS SYSTEM.
6. KEEP ATTACKING. M. W. HAGEE, GENERAL, U.S. MARINE CORPS,
COMMANDANT OF THE MARINE CORPS.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-13-09, 08:25 AM
You must have been reading the earlier/older criteria. It did, in fact, used to be that way, but it has since changed. It now recognizes all those things. Here is the text of the revised order, dated 6/26/2006 (From an ALMAR message):

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/2006/ANNOUNCEMENT%20OF%20CHANGES%20TO%20THE%20ELIGIBILI TY%20CRITERIA%20FOR%20THE%20COMBAT%20ACTION%20RIBB ON.aspx

CRITERIA: THE PRINCIPAL ELIGIBILITY CRITERION IS, REGARDLESS OF
MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALTY OR RATING, THAT THE INDIVIDUAL MUST
HAVE RENDERED SATISFACTORY PERFORMANCE UNDER ENEMY FIRE WHILE
ACTIVELY PARTICIPATING IN A GROUND OR SURFACE ENGAGEMENT. SERVICE
IN A COMBAT AREA DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY ENTITLE A SERVICE MEMBER TO
THE CAR.

(2) DISCUSSION: ALTHOUGH THIS PARAGRAPH WAS REVISED, THE INTENT OF
THE CAR HAS NOT CHANGED. IT IS INTENDED TO RECOGNIZE THOSE WHO HAVE
MET THE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS IN COMBAT. THE MAIN REQUIREMENTS
ARE: ACTIVE PARTICIPATION IN A GROUND OR SURFACE ENGAGEMENT,
SATISFACTORY PERFORMANCE, AND ACHIEVEMENT OF BOTH WHILE UNDER ENEMY
FIRE. THE PHRASE 'COMBAT FIRE-FIGHT OR ACTION' WAS REPLACED WITH
THE TERM ENGAGEMENT, WHICH IS DEFINED BY REF D AS 'A TACTICAL
CONFLICT, USUALLY BETWEEN OPPOSING LOWER ECHELON MANEUVER FORCES.'
THE INTENT OF THIS CHANGE IS TO BROADEN THE CRITERIA TO ALLOW FOR
RECOGNITION OF SITUATIONS ENCOUNTERED IN TODAY'S COMBAT ENVIRONMENT.

C. ITEM: IMPROVISED EXPLOSIVE DEVICES
(1) CRITERIA: DIRECT EXPOSURE TO THE DETONATION OF AN IMPROVISED
EXPLOSIVE DEVICE (IED) USED BY AN ENEMY, WITH OR WITHOUT THE
IMMEDIATE PRESENCE OF ENEMY FORCES, CONSTITUTES ACTIVE PARTICIPATION
IN A GROUND OR SURFACE ENGAGEMENT. QUALIFICATION UNDER THIS
CRITERION IS RETROACTIVE TO 7 OCTOBER 2001.

(2) DISCUSSION: THIS LANGUAGE WAS ADDED TO COINCIDE WITH THE
CLARIFICATION PROVIDED IN REF B. IT IS IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND THAT
THE IED ISSUE IS THE PRIMARY REASON THAT THE PRINCIPAL ELIGIBILITY
CRITERION WAS BROADENED.

D. ITEM: UNIQUE SITUATIONS

(1) CRITERIA: PERSONNEL IN RIVERINE AND COASTAL OPERATIONS,
ASSAULTS, PATROLS, SWEEPS, AMBUSHES, CONVOYS, AMPHIBIOUS LANDINGS,
AND SIMILAR ACTIVITIES WHO HAVE PARTICIPATED IN FIRE-FIGHTS ARE
ELIGIBLE.

E. ITEM: SUSTAINED INDIRECT FIRE
(1) CRITERIA: PERSONNEL ASSIGNED TO AREAS SUBJECTED TO SUSTAINED
MORTAR, MISSILE, AND ARTILLERY ATTACKS ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE IN
RETALIATORY OR OFFENSIVE ACTIONS ARE ELIGIBLE.

F. ITEM: SPECIAL OPERATIONS
(1) CRITERIA: PERSONNEL WHO SERVE IN CLANDESTINE OR SPECIAL
OPERATIONS, WHO BY THE NATURE OF THEIR MISSION, ARE RESTRICTED IN
THE ABILITY TO RETURN FIRE AND WHO ARE OPERATING IN CONDITIONS WHERE
THE RISK OF ENEMY FIRE WAS GREAT AND EXPECTED TO BE ENCOUNTERED ARE
ELIGIBLE FOR THE COMBAT ACTION RIBBON.

(2) DISCUSSION: THIS LANGUAGE WAS REVISED TO MORE ACCURATELY STATE
THE CRITERIA FOR THOSE INVOLVED IN THESE TYPES OF OPERATIONS.

G. ITEM: SHIPS
(1) CRITERIA: PERSONNEL ABOARD A SHIP ARE ELIGIBLE WHEN THE SAFETY
OF THE SHIP AND THE CREW WERE ENDANGERED BY ENEMY ATTACK, SUCH AS A
SHIP HIT BY A MINE OR A SHIP ENGAGED BY SHORE, SURFACE, AIR OR
SUB-SURFACE ELEMENTS.

(2) DISCUSSION: THIS PARAGRAPH WAS DELETED.

H. ITEM: PURPLE HEART

(1) CRITERIA: PERSONNEL ELIGIBLE FOR THE AWARD OF THE PURPLE HEART
WOULD NOT NECESSARILY QUALIFY FOR THE COMBAT ACTION RIBBON.

(2) DISCUSSION: THIS PARAGRAPH WAS RETAINED AS THERE ARE SITUATIONS
IN WHICH THE PURPLE HEART WOULD BE WARRANTED AND THE CAR WOULD NOT.

I. ITEM: PEACEKEEPING

(1) CRITERIA: PERSONNEL SERVING IN PEACEKEEPING MISSIONS, IF NOT
ELIGIBLE BY THE CRITERIA CITED ABOVE, ARE ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE THE
AWARD WHEN THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA ARE MET: (A) THE MEMBER WAS
SUBJECT TO HOSTILE, DIRECT FIRE, BASED ON THE MISSION AND THE
TACTICAL SITUATION, NOT RETURNING FIRE WAS THE BEST COURSE OF
ACTION, AND (B) THE MEMBER WAS IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE RULES OF
ENGAGEMENT AND HIS/HER ORDERS BY NOT RETURNING FIRE.

(2) DISCUSSION: THIS PARAGRAPH WAS DELETED. REGARDLESS OF THE
TACTICAL SITUATION, IF ELIGIBLE PERSONNEL MEET THE PRINCIPAL
ELIGIBILITY CRITERION DISCUSSED IN PARAGRAPH 2B(1), THEY ARE
ELIGIBLE FOR THE CAR. AS THIS MODIFIES GUIDANCE PUBLISHED IN REFS E
AND F, THOSE REFS ARE HEREBY CANCELLED.

J. ITEM: AIR MEDAL

(1) CRITERIA: THE CAR WILL NOT BE AWARDED TO PERSONNEL FOR AERIAL
COMBAT SINCE THE STRIKE/FLIGHT AIR MEDAL PROVIDES RECOGNITION FOR
AERIAL COMBAT EXPOSURE; HOWEVER, A PILOT OR CREWMEMBER FORCED TO
ESCAPE OR EVADE AFTER BEING FORCED DOWN COULD BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE
AWARD.

(2) DISCUSSION: THIS PARAGRAPH WAS RETAINED.

K. ITEM: PUBLIC LAW

(1) CRITERIA: UNDER PUBLIC LAW 106-65, THE CAR MAY BE AWARDED
RETROACTIVELY TO 7 DEC 41.

(2) DISCUSSION: THIS PARAGRAPH WAS MODIFIED TO REFLECT THE CORRECT
PUBLIC LAW.

3. THE REMAINDER OF THE TEXT CONTAINED IN REF A IS RETAINED. OF
NOTE, PARA 230.14.C. THEREIN, WHICH STATES, 'ONLY ONE AWARD PER
OPERATION IS AUTHORIZED,' REMAINS VALID. EXISTING POLICY AND
CURRENT PRACTICE ALLOWS A MARINE TO EARN ONE CAR FOR ELIGIBLE
ACTIONS IN OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM AND ONE FOR ELIGIBLE ACTIONS IN
OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM. HOWEVER, SUBSEQUENT DEPLOYMENTS TO
OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM OR OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM WOULD NOT EARN
AN ADDITIONAL AWARD, EVEN IF A MARINE PARTICIPATED IN ELIGIBLE
COMBAT ACTIONS.

4. NONE OF THE PRECEDING CHANGES IMPLY THAT PREVIOUSLY AWARDED CARS
WILL BE REVOKED; ALL PREVIOUSLY AWARDED CARS REMAIN VALID.

5. AWARDS ARE INSTRUMENTAL IN RECOGNIZING THE SERVICE OF MARINES
AND SAILORS TO OUR NATION, AND THE PERSONAL INVOLVEMENT OF
COMMANDERS AT ALL LEVELS IS ABSOLUTELY VITAL TO MAINTAIN THE
INTEGRITY AND HONOR OF THE NAVY AND MARINE CORPS AWARDS SYSTEM.

6. KEEP ATTACKING. M. W. HAGEE, GENERAL, U.S. MARINE CORPS,
COMMANDANT OF THE MARINE CORPS.

crasha51pan
06-13-09, 09:07 AM
Sgt Leprechaun,
You are right, I didn't see that. It's good to know, thanks for the info. Puts it to rest for me !

Semper Fi...............

Sgt Leprechaun
06-13-09, 09:28 AM
No worries bro. S'all good!

Benny215
06-13-09, 02:05 PM
I have to respectfully disagree on this one. Although indirect fire is not pleasant in the least, sitting on a FOB and taking a mortar or rocket every once in a while is nowhere near on the level of real combat.

The only thing us Marines who are unlucky enough to actually live through combat have to show for the living hell we went through is one single ribbon. You guys get hazardous duty pay tho it's debatable how hazardous sitting on a fob really is. Why would you want to cheapen the one thing our government gave us to recognize what we went through?

again no offense to anyone, i don't doubt you would have patrolled right along side us and gave 110%, but that's just how i feel when i hear this talk.

This is just my opinion, but the Marine Corp dropped the ball on this one !
Weather you are in a artillery unit or a cook or in supply and you spent the night dodging rocket or mortar fire, that's combat by my definition.
If you lost a body part while stuffed in a Ontos or driving a deuce and a half, that's combat by my definition.
To suggest that those people do not rate a Combat Action Ribbon is insane ! You get the feeling that the criteria for the ribbon was written by a person who never stepped foot in a war zone.
I feel that it's time the Marine Corp stepped up and corrected a "big time" injustice here..............IMO !

Semper Fi...:usmc:

PaidinBlood
06-13-09, 02:16 PM
I don't think he was just sitting on a FOB, brother....:usmc:

Benny215
06-13-09, 03:08 PM
Yea I wasn't talking about him specifically. He brought up cooks, artillery, and supply Marines in his post, that's what I was referring to.

cw2533
06-13-09, 03:20 PM
If anyone on here remembers the battle of Hue Marines of all mos's were called up to reinforce the infantry that was in deep s*** and needed reinforcements. This is a prom example that all Marines, cooks truck drivers,office personnel etc. are combat Marines. I wear the CAR but I wonder if those Marines ever received it. As for being rocketed and mortored isn't combat, well that a crock. Also being on a FOB is surely combat never knew a grunt who didn't like arty. IMO :flag:

PaidinBlood
06-13-09, 05:23 PM
I never liked having our 155s used against us...:D SF SSgt I got your point..

cw2533
06-16-09, 02:57 PM
Also Benny215 Vietnam was a totally different war then Iraq. Every base was subject to being attacked. There was no front lines. :flag: