PDA

View Full Version : Aiken’s Own Band of Brothers…On Memorial Day

thedrifter
05-26-09, 06:04 AM
Aiken’s Own Band of Brothers…On Memorial Day

By Joy Howe
WJBF News Channel 6 Aiken County Reporter
Published: May 25, 2009

Aiken, SC—A gray stone wall sits against a gray sky Monday morning. A small crowd gathered in front of it is reminded why they came.

Speaker: “The United States fighting men and women, who have guaranteed these freedoms for us.”

A wreath is placed in front of those 155 names of men and women from Aiken who went to war and did not return.

And these three brothers, all Marines, pay their respects to those who went before them.

Dorothy Scott, Coomes’ Grandmother: “We have the candle in the window, and the yellow ribbons on the mailbox. So we just wait for their return home.“

There is one name on this wall that these brothers know well,Matthew Dillon was Jamie Coomes’ best friend…

Robert Scott, Coomes’ Grandfather: “He took his re-enlistment oath on the anniversary of Matt’s death, standing on his grave. I don’t think I was ever prouder.“

Richard Johnson Jr., Aiken: “I honored Roy Robinson. He was my high school classmate. He went to Korea, and did not return.“

Phillip Lockard, Aiken: “I never served in the military neither did my wife, but we’re thankful for those who sacrificed. I just think of their families and the loss that they suffered, and how grateful I was that I didn’t have to pay the ultimate sacrifice.“

Shirley Abney, Aiken: “I just wanted to come out here and pay my respect, and one of the reasons that I come….is because of that.“

It’s not every day America pauses to remember these names….today is that day.

For others, that day is every day.

Johnson: “I could have been on the other side too, so I have to do things remembering them, and honoring them.“

R. Scott: “I’m very proud of them…very proud.“

The oldest Coomes brother, Sgt. Jamie Coomes, is scheduled to be deployed.

Video

http://www.wjbf.com/jbf/news/state_regional/south_carolina/article/aikens_own_band_of_brothers/13883/

Ellie

thedrifter
05-26-09, 08:17 AM
Mother proud of Marine sons

Soon after graduating from South Aiken High School a decade ago, Jamie Coomes enlisted in the Marine Corps and served eight months in Iraq in 2004.

He later ended his contract, only to re-enlist last December. Now he's headed back to Iraq this summer.

When he returned from his first deployment, Jamie, now 28, joined the James L. Hammons Marine Corps League Detachment No. 939. He was invited to participate in the laying of the wreath at the Aiken County Veterans Park's Memorial Day observance Monday, joined by his two younger brothers, both now Marines as well.

Austin, 19, enlisted after finishing South Aiken in 2008. Justin, 27, graduated from Parris Island just last Friday. Joining them at the ceremony Monday were their mother, Debbie Coomes, and grandparents, Robert and Dotty Scott.

"The kids were always patriotic," said Debbie Coomes. "They have a deep appreciation for the armed forces, and the flag has always been a special part of their lives."

The G.I. Joe action figures and cartoon series were the best recruiting tools ever, said Jamie. He and Justin got involved in South Aiken's Naval Junior ROTC unit, and that was a major influence, too.

Jamie's good friend, Matt Dillon, was in the unit as well, and they agreed to join the Marine Corps after finishing high school. Jamie did just that, but Matt enlisted in the Army National Guard's 122nd Engineer Battalion out of Graniteville. They used to rag each other about that and also about the medals both were winning in their units.

Matt actually made it to Iraq first in 2003 and earned a Purple Heart. When he returned to the States, he left the Army and joined the Marine Corps, in effect starting over. Matt was deployed to Iraq in 2006 and was killed in an I.E.D. explosion Dec. 11. His name is on the Memorial Wall at the veterans park.

In late 2008 - three years out of the service, Jamie decided to re-enlist. He called the recruiting command center in North Carolina.

"They came to Matt's grave site and we did the re-enlistment ceremony there Dec. 11," said Jamie. "His folks were there and our mutual friends. It was very emotional."

It's amazing, said Jamie, to see his younger brothers in their dress blues. Austin was 10 when Jamie graduated from Parris Island, and after that, Austin had no doubt he was going to enlist after high school. He has participated in combat training and motor team mechanic training and is now on reserve duty in Augusta. Austin is also looking for a job. He expects to go on active duty next year and to be deployed sometime after that.

"It's a brotherhood," he said. "Once a Marine, always a Marine. It really challenges you and changes you."

As a teenager, Justin had talked to Jamie a lot about the Marine Corps. After high school, however, Justin decided to continue with civilian life, going to school and getting a job. And then Austin enlisted last year.

"I couldn't stand to see my little brother show me up," Justin said with a smile. "That's what made me decide to take that last little leap. Really, it's something I've been looking forward to for more than 10 years. The graduation three days ago was a memorable experience."

Just over five years ago, Jamie was in Iraq when he ordered flowers for Debbie for Mother's Day. When the flowers arrived the day before, Debbie burst into tears. She admitted to conflicting emotions at the time, but wanted people to know she's truly fearless.

"God has replaced my fear with a peace," Debbie said in 2004. "Jamie needs my support. He needs to know I'm strong and not be on the front lines worrying about his mom at home."

Jamie is now married and his wife, Holly, is expecting a baby later this year. He has a son, 3, from a previous relationship. For her own part, Debbie's approach for three sons in the military has changed little.

"There are no words to explain this feeling," she said Monday. "It's mostly pride and peacefulness. God is going to protect them, and they're doing what their passion is."

The Marines' grandfather, Bob Scott, served three years in the Air Force in the SSRq50s.

"I have so much pride to see all three of them in uniform," he said. "They're willing to defend us with other young men and women. We pray for them every day."

Contact Rob Novit at rnovit@aikenstandard.com.

Ellie