PDA

View Full Version : Enlist or Go to OCS?

Nicole1985
05-25-09, 07:33 PM
I am looking for advice on which route to take.

My situation is that I just graduated from college and got my BA in Communication this month. I have been in contact with my OSO for my junior and senior year with a plan to go to OCC after I finished. I am completely done with the application process, MEPS, etc. I was told that I would be going to OCC on May 29. I was submitted to the board recently and they didn't select me, according to my OSO, it was because of my PFT score but everything else was excellent. My OSO said we could resubmit my package in July or August and, if selected, I would attend OCC in October. I understand that I need to bust my ass over this summer in order be more competitive and to get on with my ultimate goal; to be a Marine Officer. My PFT score was a 206: 26:12 for 3 mile run, 45 sec flexed-arm hang, 88 crunches. Obviously, I know this is not good enough and I will do whatever it takes to improve my score over this summer.

When the local enlisted recruiters caught wind of my situation, they presented me with another option. They told me they could get me to Parris Island next weekend. I could enlist and then, after training, submit a package for ECP, which from my understanding is basically the same thing I'm doing now but I would be enlisted in the Corps while doing it. The benefits of doing this would be to go through boot camp putting me in "the best shape of my life" and getting my foot in the door with the Marine Corps, also showing the Corps that I have a commitment to them, and the recruiters told me it would make me a better officer down the road too.

The only downside I see to the enlistment option is that I might just get lost in the system after I am in and no guarantees on if or when I might go to OCC.

I'm just not sure what to do right now. Really, I have only 2-3 months before going up for the board again, but the recruiters put the bug in my ear and I got the itch to go. It just made me start thinking about both options. First and Foremost, my goal is to become a Marine. My ultimate goal in the end is to become a Marine Officer. I'm just not sure which path would be the best to get me there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BR34
05-25-09, 07:56 PM
The only downside I see to the enlistment option is that I might just get lost in the system after I am in and no guarantees on if or when I might go to OCC.

That would be my biggest concern too. Just bust ass for the next few months to make sure you can get a better PFT. I really do believe it's just-that-simple! All it's going to take is a little dedication from you.

Cash2053
05-25-09, 08:08 PM
Only you can make that decision. Some of the best officers were enlisted first. Im sure you know all the details on the enlisted commisioning program. If you go enlisted, you will have to have higher pros/cons, higher pft, and better leadership skills than your peers to recommended for the ECP program. In other words, you would have to be of officer caliber. You will be judged on everything you have done in the Marine Corps. I would just follow your heart.

Isrowei
05-25-09, 09:53 PM
If you go to Parris Island it will be at least 2 years or more before you get a chance to put in an ECP package. And then it could take up to a year for you to make it to OCS and beyond.

You could resubmit to the board more times than you have fingers in that same amount of time.

If you truly want to be a Marine Officer, then work on your PT and go direct. The recruiters are doing their job in presenting options (especially ones that help their numbers) but don't for a second believe those options will guaranteed get you to your end goal faster.. or even at all.

Being enlisted is a noble endeavor. Obviously, I was for a number of years before commissioning. But if you want to be an officer and you have college already and it's just a few points holding you back...

.. get a gym membership.

It's quicker and addresses the problem directly.

grodunt
05-25-09, 09:56 PM
If you go to Parris Island it will be at least 2 years or more before you get a chance to put in an ECP package. And then it could take up to a year for you to make it to OCS and beyond.

You could resubmit to the board more times than you have fingers in that same amount of time.

If you truly want to be a Marine Officer, then work on your PT and go direct. The recruiters are doing their job in presenting options (especially ones that help their numbers) but don't for a second believe those options will guaranteed get you to your end goal faster.. or even at all.

Being enlisted is a noble endeavor. Obviously, I was for a number of years before commissioning. But if you want to be an officer and you have college already and it's just a few points holding you back...

.. get a gym membership.

It's quicker and addresses the problem directly.

+1

I enlisted in the reserves beforehand and met several Marines who thought they wanted to be officers one day along the way. 99% of them have all quit along the way. If you're dead set on being a Marine Officer work on your PFT score with your OSO. Enlisting only complicates things for you.

Hodgesml
05-25-09, 10:15 PM
Good answer Sir, I was also in with a couple of guys with college that there recruiter told them just go active duty then get into OCS. None of them did it, I don't know if it was lack of trying on there part or to much Bull Sh** to go through.

Did you check out the profile Sir?? Didn't have many officers like that.

TTX
05-25-09, 10:43 PM
Go for OCS, only a few few months and it's worth to wait.

LOosing a few lbs will also improve your running time.

commdog7
05-25-09, 10:44 PM
It is your decision, there are positives and negatives to both. If you have trouble improving your PFT score, I think Parris Island would be the best choice. They will get you in shape and a little experience in the fleet could help you understand what you will be getting yourself into if you go the officer route. But it is up to you.

I've known quite a few Marines who talked about going officer, but I don't know any who actually put in for it either. I went to boot camp with a few recruits who already had their bachelor's degree, but none of them seemed to have the desire to go officer. I don't know why more enlisted Marines don't try for an officer program.

JordanB
05-26-09, 10:15 AM
OCS OCS OCS Holy **** if you have a choice go OCS you will make twice the money AND be the boss

ameriken
05-26-09, 10:38 AM

I think you answered your own question.

OCS: period!!!

cowstep2
05-26-09, 11:22 AM
I had rather be a pvt in the Marine Corps than a Major General with an early chow pass and a no duty chit.

samthomas
05-26-09, 12:18 PM
I think you answered your own question.

If you have the option, go for the commission. A couple of months isn't going to change a whole lot. It will give you time to increase your PT scores, and anything else that might help with the board.

StoneTheWeak
05-30-09, 11:20 PM
OCS OCS OCS! The same thing I say to myself everyday, SHOULD HAVE GONE TO COLLEGE! Then again the downside for you is that as a female you can't be an infantry officer, but you can be a pilot, but that's pretty damn hard to get into. All the butter bars here at NAS are, for the most part, fresh out of OCS and TBS waiting to start training to become pilots. It's a pretty big wait, but Marine Corps fighter pilots are the best in the world.

WalkingMan
05-31-09, 06:14 AM

My situation is that I just graduated from college and got my BA in Communication this month. I have been in contact with my OSO for my junior and senior year with a plan to go to OCC after I finished. I am completely done with the application process, MEPS, etc. I was told that I would be going to OCC on May 29. I was submitted to the board recently and they didn't select me, according to my OSO, it was because of my PFT score but everything else was excellent. My OSO said we could resubmit my package in July or August and, if selected, I would attend OCC in October. I understand that I need to bust my ass over this summer in order be more competitive and to get on with my ultimate goal; to be a Marine Officer. My PFT score was a 206: 26:12 for 3 mile run, 45 sec flexed-arm hang, 88 crunches. Obviously, I know this is not good enough and I will do whatever it takes to improve my score over this summer.

When the local enlisted recruiters caught wind of my situation, they presented me with another option. They told me they could get me to Parris Island next weekend. I could enlist and then, after training, submit a package for ECP, which from my understanding is basically the same thing I'm doing now but I would be enlisted in the Corps while doing it. The benefits of doing this would be to go through boot camp putting me in "the best shape of my life" and getting my foot in the door with the Marine Corps, also showing the Corps that I have a commitment to them, and the recruiters told me it would make me a better officer down the road too.

I'm just not sure what to do right now. Really, I have only 2-3 months before going up for the board again, but the recruiters put the bug in my ear and I got the itch to go. It just made me start thinking about both options. First and Foremost, my goal is to become a Marine. My ultimate goal in the end is to become a Marine Officer. I'm just not sure which path would be the best to get me there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you bust your ass this summer, and still don't make the cut, you can still go enlisted, so you have nothing to lose, by trying to get the PFT score up over the summer.

If you do wind up going enlisted, for whatever reason, and then eventually become an officer, in my opinion, you will be a better officer for the experience of having spent time as enlisted... the mustangs I worked with were all a cut above the the OCS grads (again, my opinion) and I was an OCS instructor at Quantico, after returning from Vietnam, which gave me some up-close perspective on the matter, having eventually wound up working under some of the officers I trained.

The toughest job I ever faced was breaking in newbie officers out in the bush, in Vietnam, where screwing up was pretty much guaranteed to get someone killed.

Nicole1985
05-31-09, 08:51 AM
Thank you all for your responses! <br />
<br />
I talked to the recruiters' and the OSOs' in my areas CO a couple days ago. He said he was in a similar situation when he first got out of college. He didn't...

Wyoming
05-31-09, 09:42 AM
Hmmm, not to say that the Gunnery Sergeant is misleading, but I beleive there are other options. Maybe he just wants you to pick and go to PI. Remember, he is an enlisted recruiter and is doing his job, which is to get you into the 4th Bn.

Isn't there a big difference between MP and Public Affairs? Jeez, you have your college background here. Why not take advantage of it and talk to the OSO's again.

One other thing, check some of the posts by the LTs on this board. They don't need to use the asterisks to out the ***** talking potty ass mouth ****ing language that you seem to use. If that is to impress, well you ain't doing a real ****ing good job.

ammermda
05-31-09, 10:01 AM
First: I wouldn't rush into enlisting. What is your goal? What is the most direct path to meeting that goal? What are the challenges holding you back?

You want to be a Marine Officer. The direct path is OCC. The only thing holding you back is your PFT score. That is something YOU have control over. Don't fall into the trap of immediate gratification.

Remember, the Marine Corps is constantly changing. What worked in the past may not be as easy now.

Second: If you have decided to enlist first FOR THE RIGHT REASONS (experience of being an enlisted Marine) then don't discount the options made available to you.

Again, what is your purpose for joining the Marine Corps? Is it so you can have the job you *think* you want? Things never turn out the way you think they will. But, if your purpose is to serve your fellow *future* Marines, what MOS meshes best with that goal, your experience, and your ability?

Just my $.02, but these are the things I would consider if I were you. (Also, don't discount 34xx, it's a great MOS! Lot's of flexibility, opportunities for growth, career advancement post-USMC, and your providing a vital service to your fellow Marines.)

V/r
Lt Ammerman

Isrowei
05-31-09, 09:41 PM
I just want to be sure I'm not getting d***ed over before I decide to do this. They told me they can get me to PI on the 8th or the 22nd.

Does anyone know if what they are telling me is the truth?

You came on here and asked our opinion and almost EVERY response has had the same answer.

I suppose that wasn't good enough? Did it not make sense to you? Or are you just too impatient? Maybe you have some wacky need for constant validation?

You don't need any more advice. Asking us again only highlights how much you weren't listening the first time around. Grow up, make your choice already and live with it.

If you truly need a second opinion... go back and re-read the thread from the beginning. All of your questions have already been addressed.

ST331
05-31-09, 09:43 PM

College grad? Go to OCS, hands down. It shouldnt even be a debate.

Ive done both, so feel free to msg me with questions !

LeighWolf
07-20-09, 09:06 PM
I was in your same position about a year ago. I opted to enlist first and am on track for OCS in either October or January. You have to enlist as a reservist to have this option. If you enlist active duty it will be at least a couple years before you're eligible. The training i've received in my reserve unit is invaluable and will serve me well as an officer. You will know the experience of a junior Marine. 50% of the Marine Corps is ranked LCpl or lower, being a junior Marine first will give you perspective on the experience of over half of the Marines you might lead someday.

With that said, I've interacted with plenty of amazing officers that were never enlisted first. There's good prior-enlisted officers and there's good non-prior enlisted officers.

However, you're series commander will call you into his office during enlisted boot camp if you're a college grad and offer you the chance to go to OCS and leave boot camp. While the reserve option worked for me, the Marine Corps wants college grads in the OCC program.

On the issue of the PFT: Boot camp will NOT get you in 300 PFT shape. Unless you're grossly overweight you won't gain much in terms of PT from boot camp. You'll be skinnier after boot camp and thats about it.

Sergeant M
07-20-09, 09:14 PM
Unless you enjoy being treated like a child, I would go commissioned. As a Pvt, PFC and LCpl you're going to get alot of ****ty jobs, and you'll have people younger than you giving you stupid orders. Liberty and even simple things like getting a vehicle is hard to junior enlisted folk. You've got your degree, go pt and join as an officer. It's a better way of life and quite the payraise altogether. Now being prior enlisted does help you be a better officer, because you have been a non-rate and you know how ****ty the enlisted life can be at times. My suggestion; go commissioned and don't look back.

GyC
07-22-09, 12:06 PM
MCO 1040.43A outlines the qualifications and requirements for the ECP. Both the OSO and Enlisted Recruiters are trying to do their job, although at this point in time, you are not qualified for OCC acceptance. If your goal is to become an Officer, you are not short changing yourself by going Enlisted. You're preparing yourself to be an Officer, and starting off on your path in the Marine Corps. The biggest challenge for you will be "demonstrating leadership potential" with your senior Marines. Your age and maturity should set you apart. The minimum Time In Service requirement is 1 year TIS, so only you can determine your success. Exceptional Recruits can be waived by the Commanding General at MCRD, however, I doubt that has ever happened. Good Luck with your decision. S/F...