PDA

View Full Version : Veterans honored at Ga. VA hospital

thedrifter
05-25-09, 06:50 AM
Veterans honored at Ga. VA hospital
By Pamela E. Walck - Savannah Morning News
Posted : Sunday May 24, 2009 13:55:26 EDT

DUBLIN, Ga. — Command Sgt. Maj. Jesse Andrews walked down the sterile hall of the Carl Vinson VA Medical Center and stopped dead in his tracks at the sound of a familiar voice.

It was Marvin Potts, a soldier he barked at throughout basic training, back when he was an Army drill instructor. Years later, the two men would serve together in Operation Iraqi Freedom I.

"I know this guy," said the 3rd Infantry Division's command sergeant major to his commander, Maj. Gen. Tony Cucolo, the division's commanding general.

The division's top officials were among those visiting the facility in honor of Armed Services Day on Wednesday. The chance meeting in the hallway came only moments after a rousing hourlong concert by the Marne Band.

Andrews immediately turned his attention back to his soldier-turned-VA patient. He inquired about family. He put a steady arm around the shaky patient and asked how he was doing physically.

Potts looked at the sergeant he admired and crumbled. Someone produced a chair. He sat down.

Potts needs a cane to walk. He has memory loss. He is a shell of the warrior he was in 2003. Andrews immediately tried to lighten the moment.

"He wore spurs the entire seven months we were in-country," Andrews said, bragging on his soldier to Cucolo. "He was 'Hoo-ah.' There wasn't a weapons system he couldn't run or train on.

"... And he was a PT stud."

Potts smiled and looked Andrews in the eyes as he spoke to the general.

"No, [Andrews is] the man," Potts said. "It was always my goal to be like him."

"The greatest tragedy is not to lose your life, but to be forgotten," Cucolo told his audience of 50 veterans and dozens of VA hospital staff members assembled for the concert. "You will not be forgotten. ... You have paved the way for us and we are proud to be your legacy."

It was a message — both in words and in music — that resounded with the gathering of veterans representing World War II and the Korean and Vietnam wars.

"It definitely brings back some old memories," said Charles Anderson, a 54-year-old Air Force veteran who has resided at the VA facility for just more than a month. "At least you know you are not forgotten."

Cucolo said it was the encouragement of local veterans groups that prompted him to bring the 3rd ID band to the VA center around Christmastime.

It was an experience that humbled the general and his soldiers.

"This is too special a place to do this only once a year," Cucolo said, adding he hopes to bring the band back one more time before the unit deploys to Iraq in the fall.

Spc. Yamil Gines placed his hand on the back of the reclined wheelchair and leaned in to catch Frederick Meyer's comments over the band music.

The two chatted like long-lost battle buddies. They seemed oblivious to the live music blaring from the stage.

Meyer, a Vietnam-era helicopter pilot who flew out of Hunter Army Airfield, had plenty of tales to tell.

Age-worn, wheelchair-bound and missing a limb, Meyer was thrilled to share his stories of adventures behind the controls of Chinooks and Hueys.

For his part, Gines could only listen with wonder.

"It's an honor to be a part of this today," Gines said, his voice clipped with emotion. "Someday, we'll be like that."

It's a perspective the Puerto Rico native doesn't want to lose.

"I owe him my life," he said. "Without him fighting when he did, I wouldn't be free. I wouldn't be fighting for freedom now."

Janice Faye Daniel needs the help of an oxygen tank and uses a wheelchair to get around.

When she looks in the mirror, she doesn't see a pioneer. But Cucolo praised the Marine Corps veteran for her service as a supply clerk in the early 1960s.

"I am so proud to meet you," Cucolo said. "You were a pioneer. You made a contribution."

Daniel blushed with pleasure. She dismissed the general's words of praise.

"You would be so proud of the women wearing the uniform today," Cucolo said.

He then dug deep into his pocket and pulled out a commander's coin.

"I know it's not from the Marine Corps," he said. "But you can pretend it says Marines instead of Army."

Daniel laughed and then studied the coin in her hand.

"I never considered myself a pioneer," she said later. "There were quite a few of us who served."

Ellie