PDA

View Full Version : Prior service navy looking to enlist with a few Q's

Nakota2k
05-25-09, 05:11 AM
I am currently an E-4 about half way through a 5 year contract with the Navy and am quite unhappy with the way things are going. I am looking for information on what to expect when joining the marine corp. I am stationed on Kaneohe Marine Corp Base Hawaii and have worked with marines for more than 4 months during a temporary assignment of duty as a supply driver. Ill never forget the first PT I had with them, it was a 6 mile "motivated" run which is unheard of in the navy. The navy is really cut throat everyone is out to get each other it seems. The Marines I worked with on the other hand all respected each other, granted they fought a lot but it was all in good fun. Anyways what im trying to get at is what kind of benefits, if any would I get in joining with prior service. Im pretty sure Ill be an E-1 again and back at bootcamp, but will I be able to get advanced quicker? Can I wear all my navy ribbons, or are there ones I cannot wear? Thanks

thewookie
05-25-09, 05:34 AM
I am currently an E-4 about half way through a 5 year contract with the Navy and am quite unhappy with the way things are going. I am looking for information on what to expect when joining the marine corps. I am stationed on Kaneohe Marine Corps Base Hawaii and have worked with marines for more than 4 months during a temporary assignment of duty as a supply driver. Ill never forget the first PT I had with them, it was a 6 mile "motivated" run which is unheard of in the navy. The navy is really cut throat everyone is out to get each other it seems. The Marines I worked with on the other hand all respected each other, granted they fought a lot but it was all in good fun. Anyways what im trying to get at is what kind of benefits, if any would I get in joining with prior service. Im pretty sure Ill be an E-1 again and back at bootcamp, but will I be able to get advanced quicker? Can I wear all my navy ribbons, or are there ones I cannot wear? Thanks

The only tangible benefit you'll get is keeping your TIS. They can never take that away from you. You lose the rest, oh yeah, some of the ribbons will transfer over, but that's it.

You have to earn everything you get in the Marine Corps.

You could conceivably advance quicker in that you'll get more points down the road to your cutting score due to your TIS, but that is it.

Good luck, don't think the DIs are going to be easy on you; they might be harder at first, but your experience should at some point shine through, but if I was you I'd be the quietest guy in the squad-bay.

SGT7477
05-25-09, 08:38 AM
I am currently an E-4 about half way through a 5 year contract with the Navy and am quite unhappy with the way things are going. I am looking for information on what to expect when joining the marine corp. I am stationed on Kaneohe Marine Corp Base Hawaii and have worked with marines for more than 4 months during a temporary assignment of duty as a supply driver. Ill never forget the first PT I had with them, it was a 6 mile "motivated" run which is unheard of in the navy. The navy is really cut throat everyone is out to get each other it seems. The Marines I worked with on the other hand all respected each other, granted they fought a lot but it was all in good fun. Anyways what im trying to get at is what kind of benefits, if any would I get in joining with prior service. Im pretty sure Ill be an E-1 again and back at bootcamp, but will I be able to get advanced quicker? Can I wear all my navy ribbons, or are there ones I cannot wear? Thanks
I would say some ribbons would transfer over but one thing you have to get straight is Marine or Marines is to be captialized at all times on this site.:flag:

rvillac2
05-25-09, 11:24 AM
You will get PFC (E-2) for your prior service.

BR34
05-25-09, 01:56 PM
I would say some ribbons would transfer over but one thing you have to get straight is Marine or Marines is to be captialized at all times on this site.:flag:
How about "Corp"?

F*ck a profile huh, Nakota2k?