PDA

View Full Version : Confused

PatriotMS
05-22-09, 02:56 PM
Hello,
I am new to the forum and I am assuming this is where I would post the question I have. I am a 26(almost 27 year old) woman and I have been looking into the military for the last few weeks. I was raised in a very conservative home and we believe in supporting our military. I thought of military when I was 18, but I knew it wouldn't fly with my parents. I went to college and graduated with a degree in accounting and business management, and I am currently working in accounting.

My parents still don't think that I should join the military(my mom doesn't believe in women being in the military,especially her daughter), what do y'all think? I am currently overweight and very out of shape, but I am working on that problem. I am very close with my parents and I know I am more than old enough to make the decision with or without their approval, but I really want their support. Once I get down to a good weight, do you think OCS would be a good option for me? Thank you for any advice you are willing to share.

Cash2053
05-22-09, 03:37 PM
The question you should ask yourself is do you think you can lead Marines. Only you know the answer to that question.

SGT7477
05-22-09, 03:43 PM
Hello,
I am new to the forum and I am assuming this is where I would post the question I have. I am a 26(almost 27 year old) woman and I have been looking into the military for the last few weeks. I was raised in a very conservative home and we believe in supporting our military. I thought of military when I was 18, but I knew it wouldn't fly with my parents. I went to college and graduated with a degree in accounting and business management, and I am currently working in accounting.

My parents still don't think that I should join the military(my mom doesn't believe in women being in the military,especially her daughter), what do y'all think? I am currently overweight and very out of shape, but I am working on that problem. I am very close with my parents and I know I am more than old enough to make the decision with or without their approval, but I really want their support. Once I get down to a good weight, do you think OCS would be a good option for me? Thank you for any advice you are willing to share.
Get in shape and follow your heart, looks like time is slipping away, Good Luck.:flag:

Supersquishy
05-22-09, 05:35 PM
Hello,
I am a 26(almost 27 year old) woman and I have been looking into the military for the last few weeks. Marines specifically or military in general, I suggest researching more.

My parents still don't think that I should join the military
Do you still live at home too? You run your life not them.

I am currently overweight and very out of shape do you think OCS would be a good option for me? Hell no, after the facts given, how can you lead Marines with an attitude of not caring about yourself and letting your parents run your life, your "almost 27" for nemos sake!

NO.

Isrowei
05-22-09, 08:08 PM
Last I remember, I wasn't sure if Pensacola Christian was an accredited college or not. If not, you won't be accepted to OCS.

Also, while I have no doubts that being homeschooled is not the end all determinate for a person's social skills (I say this as a homeschooled student myself), it is very often that homeschoolers are not quite up to par on social skills as their public school counterparts.

Also, the fact that you clearly weren't ready to be independant of your parents at 18 and apparently still have doubts at "almost 27" makes me wonder just how much you have grown up. The Marine Corps is not for folks looking to live under their parent's thumb. Your parents should have been done making decisions for your life when you became a legal adult. There is everything to be said for closely family ties and respect for your parents, but if they have a distinct bearing in your choice to join or not join, then the answer is clear: You aren't ready and we don't need you.

I want Marines (and especially Officers) who think on their own. Quick, clear, decision-making ability is an invaluable trait for any Marine, but it is absolutely essential for a Marine Officer.

And get yourself in shape. If you can't respect yourself and your body enough to be basically fit, then how to you expect anyone else to respect you for your leadership ability?

Wyoming
05-22-09, 10:16 PM
I am currently overweight and very out of shape, but I am working on that problem.

And get yourself in shape. If you can't respect yourself and your body enough to be basically fit, then how to you expect anyone else to respect you for your leadership ability?

and your interests are -
surfing the internet and reading

Nope.

Sorry, but nope.

The apron strings are wrapped too tight around you to lead.

PatriotMS
05-26-09, 08:45 AM
Thank you for all the responses I do appreciate them. To answer a few questions. I have looked into the military in general - mainly the Marines and the Air Force(my dad was in the AF back in the 70's). I know I don't want to be in the Navy.
To Isrowei, I don't know about your homeschool experience, but my social skills did not suffer from being homeschooled. I am able to relate to people of all ages, when I went to college I never had trouble relating to people my own age or to my teachers. Also I saw pictures of a couple of guys getting commissioned in the military(I believe as Marines) after graduating from PCC, it happened while I was there.
My parents don't make my decisions for me, at 18 or now. I may talk with them about it, but the ultimate decision is mine. I don't live under my parent's thumb, they taught me growing up to think for myself. I respect my parents but their opinion is not going to keep me from joining if I decide to.
You had valid points about my being out of shape. I do respect myself and that is why I am working to fix the problem now. I am curious why the one from my interests didn't think it was for me. A person can't like to surf the internet and read and be in the Marines?

KawiGunny
05-26-09, 09:09 AM
I am curious why the one from my interests didn't think it was for me. A person can't like to surf the internet and read and be in the Marines?

I believe he was pointing out that maybe your interest should be more down the lines of PT'ing rather than parked in front of the computer or on the couch reading. These types of things actually make some people lazy and not want to do activities that would help prevent them from getting out of shape and gaining weight.

PatriotMS
05-26-09, 09:13 AM
I believe he was pointing out that maybe your interest should be more down the lines of PT'ing rather than parked in front of the computer or on the couch reading. These types of things actually make some people lazy and not want to do activities that would help prevent them from getting out of shape and gaining weight.

I can see what you are saying, and it probably did somewhat help me get where I am now.

KawiGunny
05-26-09, 09:14 AM
I can see what you are saying, and it probably did somewhat help me get where I am now.

As long as you recognize your shortcomings then its easy to fix them.