PDA

View Full Version : Soul Searching

syphek
05-21-09, 07:21 PM
I'm 18 and graduating from high school in a few weeks. I've wanted to join the Marines since I was pretty young. My dad was in the Marines, and I always wanted to live up to his expectations.
Anyway, to the point: I've been talking to my mom about joining up (she was Navy, they're divorced) she thinks its a horrible decision stating that she knows about the Marines and that it'd be a bad fit for me, that I don't have the self esteem, and I dont know enough about myself to deal with the changes, stress, etc..., having never been on my own, and living all my life pretty protected.
I respect her opinion, and with some of that she is correct, but I wanted to know from real Marines what it takes. Mentally and spiritually what you have to deal with, and what kind of person you need to be to do that. In addition, how has the Corps changed since the late 80's, early 90's?
Also, any general information on being an 0311 would be helpful.
Thank You,
Cole

BR34
05-21-09, 07:52 PM
Okay Cole, here's the thing. First of all, I think it's pretty messed up that your mom would say that to you.

But, as for her comments, you don't have to be, or act, or have the personality (confidence, self esteem, etc) of a Marine, that's what boot camp is for. It takes away all those things and molds you into a Marine. Boot camp will also teach you more about yourself than any college campus or dead end job.

I'm curious, what does your dad think of you joining the Corps?

As for the 0311 info, just do a search, you'll find plenty.

syphek
05-21-09, 08:12 PM
thank you
my dad is kinda neutral. he isn't pushing me either way, he will support me no matter what I choose, he just wants me to "make damn sure i have thought it through"

stein07
05-21-09, 08:20 PM
Don't ever let anyone else tell you what you are and are not capable of. You are the person who will determine that, and if you want it bad enough, you will make it.

Phantom Blooper
05-21-09, 08:42 PM
Anyway, to the point: I've been talking to my mom about joining up (she was Navy, they're divorced) she thinks its a horrible decision stating that she knows about the Marines and that it'd be a bad fit for me, that I don't have the self esteem, and I don't know enough about myself to deal with the changes, stress, etc..., having never been on my own, and living all my life pretty protected.

Respect your mothers opinion.

However there is not a better way to build self esteem and confidence than to join the U.S.military.....I am bias in my opine so I will say the United States Marines.

With respect to your mother she knows about Marines from your dad and the few that she was around when in the navy.

And without knowing the family history.....since they are divorced...I would say an unfavorable opine.

That is not the Marine Corps.

Stress....you will have stress in your life whether you are a Marine or a civilian.

The way you handle the stress is to each individuals makeup.....The Marine Corps gives you stress building tools to help you...it is up to you to hone those skills and continue to march. That is what part of boot camp training is about.....they will give you the basic foundation....it will be up to you to build on it...so it does not crumble.

Statistically most Marines have never lived on their own at your age before boot camp.....

There is a time in life that one must leave the nest and cut the apron strings and go off on your own. This is the rite of passage into adulthood and manhood.

Your mom is probally saying these things because of the worry in the world. However you need to respectfully man up to the plate and set YOUR own goals in life.

If you make it through boot camp and become a Marine regardless of where in the world you are at...from sea to shining sea you will be always protected by your Marine brothers and a new family way of life.:evilgrin:

0231Marine
05-22-09, 07:06 AM
Everything has pretty much been answered already but I'll tell you, the Marine Corps is constantly changing. You hear about the "Old Corps" from Marines senior to you and how it was in their time, just as they heard it from their seniors when they were junior Marines. Change isn't always good but it's necessary and it happens. The things that don't change are the key. Things like, Honor, Courage, Commitment, Brotherhood, Leadership, Attention to Detail, Pride, Selfless Sacrifice and watching out for your fellow Marines. Those are the things that don't change and you'll get to experience everyone of them if you take the journey. It's up to you but you sound like you've got a good head on your shoulders.

Like the SSgt said, Respect your mothers opinion but that doesn't mean you have to do it. I bet you a dollar that if you graduate from bootcamp, she'll be there crying tears of joy when she sees you on family day.

KawiGunny
05-22-09, 08:06 AM
thank you
my dad is kinda neutral. he isn't pushing me either way, he will support me no matter what I choose, he just wants me to "make damn sure i have thought it through"

Very good advice. When my kids get old enough to join the military, I will support their decission to join or not to join and branch. As long as they know what they are getting into.