PDA

View Full Version : Guaranteed MOS on Contract

ÓGlaisne
05-20-09, 10:51 AM
Poolees,

I've done my share of reading over the last six or seven months and everything I've read has been explicitly clear that the Marine Corps does not guarantee you a specific MOS in your contract, only an aptitude area. However, I was speaking with a recruiter on Monday and he said, point blank, that my exact, specific MOS will be guaranteed on the contract I sign. I'm curious if this is in fact the current situation and, as you are those who are dealing with recruiters with regularity and have in some instances just signed your contracts, I figured you'd be the ones to go to.

Like I said, everything I've read has been very clear that the USMC will not guarantee a specific MOS, only an aptitude area, but the recruiter said specifically that my MOS "will be guaranteed on the contract." I was surprised when he said this, and I'm looking for the most up-to-date perspective on this.

Thanks

ElDiablo
05-20-09, 12:02 PM
Are you reserves? That's the only way I've heard of that happening.

MARINECID
05-20-09, 12:55 PM
The only way a specific MOS is assigned is for Reserves. Active duty are assigned programs like (UH- Infantry option) which has all infantry MOS's within the option.

ÓGlaisne
05-20-09, 05:33 PM
I am going Active Duty, perhaps he was under the impression that I am going Reserves? He asked me and I said Active, though. How do I approach this situation with him when we speak again tomorrow? I don't want to say that what he told me was not factual, because it may have been a misunderstanding in where we were each coming from.

Any suggestions on how I take the question up with him?

BigGunz90
05-20-09, 06:06 PM
Just tell him that you have spoken to other poolees about it and their recruiter said they can't have a specific job unless they go Active Duty.