PDA

View Full Version : Mom and Dad Signed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seeley
07-14-03, 08:32 PM
My mom and dad signed my papers like 10 minutes ago! I'm going to my first POOLee function this Saturday for swim qual stuff :D. I am now that much closer to earning the title!

ProtectnServe
07-14-03, 09:38 PM
Outstanding. Congratulations :).
Now the next step is MEPS(oh what a blast you're gona have at meps :D ). Any idea what MOS you want?

Seeley
07-14-03, 09:50 PM
5711 (NBC) or 4067 (Programmer, ADA) I really like working with computers and such. I'm no computer nerd though mind you :). I'm in pretty good shape and working on a Marine Corps fitness program which is aimed at maxing out my PFT scores.

ProtectnServe
07-14-03, 09:55 PM
Thats awesome. Times almost up for me wish I would have stuck with a workout plan the whole time I was in DEP but I wasnt so now I have to pay for it in a couple weeks. Good Luck at MEPS and when you finally get to boot camp if I'm not back before you leave =P

Seeley
07-14-03, 10:20 PM
Oh I'm sure you'll be back before I leave lol. I'm going to be a senior next year so I'm going to have a full year of getting ready for the Marine Corps. Thanks though :). Good luck to you as well!

tigger
07-14-03, 10:27 PM
Good to go!!!!!!!!.
If being a Marine is what you want, then go for it, don't let anyone stop you in your quest to earn what everyone want's to have, but only so few earn. YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE FEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
SEMPER FI.

firstsgtmike
07-15-03, 03:03 AM
Seeley,

And I stop to wipe the tears from my eyes.

I would go "Programmer".

Having said that, I would ask my son, or daughter, "Why?"

You chose this, why? You chose that, why?

It is the answer, and the realistic expectations that would let me sleep, or cause me not to sleep, at night.

22DevilPup87
07-15-03, 09:50 AM
Congrats, Seeley!

Seeley
07-15-03, 11:21 AM
firstsgtmike,
I wanted to be a programmer because I'm really good with computers (even though I know I'm the 3rd highest 4 position shooter in the 12th MCD). I feel that I could do a great service to my country in there and would be able to give it my all. I want to create advanced programs which might be able to better train Marines and other servicemen better than they are being trained already so that I might save their lives. NBC is anothe way that I might save lives. I like to teach people as well. Another _big_ reason I'm saying that I want to go programmer or NBC is that my family has constantly told me to get something that I could use after I get out and to get an education.
I was talking to my recruiter though and he said that I would have an MOS for 2 years minimum at first (or until I made Cpl which he said I shouldn't have a problem doing looking at my background) then I would be able to go to college and earn a degree while in that MOS. After obtaining a degree in whatever I wanted to, the Marines would send me to OCS and I would become an officer in the MOS which matched up with my degree. I'm not quite sure of what I want to do for a degree and I _do_ have until the 7th of August to make up my mind because that is when my recruiter wants me to try and make my mind up by. I'm looking at all the options and told my mom and dad that I would probably change my mind after looking even farther into other MOS positions with my recruiter. I also told them that it is my life and that if I'm going to be doing something for several years and plan to make a career out of it that it had better be something that I know I wanted to do, not something that somebody wanted me to do.

firstsgtmike
07-15-03, 01:46 PM
Seeley,

You've got your **** together. I know that whatever decision you make will be well thought out and will be the best one for you.

There's no way in the world that I would try to second guess you.

I'd lose.

I have five children coming up, the oldest is eleven. If they have HALF of the qualities I see in you, I will pat myself on the back and say "Well done!"

You tell your mom and dad that I would appreciate any tips, hints, suggestions or advice that they would be willing to share with me.

TJR1070
07-15-03, 03:00 PM
Seeley,

My MOS while in the Corps was NBC, and I have to tell you that even though I didn't pick it (I went open contract, so my MOS was picked for me) I loved every minute of that job. It led me into the career path I eventually chose Firefighting/EMS. Even though you may not directly correlate them there are alot of similarities. In NBC, my job was to train my fellow Marines in how to protect themselves, to maintain the equipment to do so, train other Marines to help monitor, survey and decontaminate our own brothers.

In the fire service we are constantly training each other, looking out for each others safety and coordinating many different tasks at the same time to accomplish a mission. Teaching also helped with getting over the fear of public speaking and I am currently teaching EMT's and paramedic's. I am now enrolled in several Department of Justice NBC classes that I will use to teach my fellow first responders in how to deal with WMD attacks. This has special meaning to me since I live just outside NYC and lost many good friends in the 9/11 attacks.

I don't know if any of this will help you make a decision to choose an MOS but it should illustrate the point that even if you don't know what is best for you at the time, you may wind up traveling a path you would have never thought but will appreciate for the rest of your life. I truly credit the Marine Corps with my happiness in civilian life for giving a young man direction that I never would have chosen on my own. This gift was one of a very many the Marine Corps has given me to take with me the rest of my life. Good luck with your decision and Semper Fi!

Seeley
07-15-03, 03:10 PM
firstsgtmike,

TJR1070,

Thank you as well. I was actually going to ask if anyone had been NBC here to tell me their personal experiences. As soon as school starts up again, I can talk to my Major and Gunny because they both did time in NBC and Gunny actually was one of the Marine Corps' top NBC experts so he should be able to fill me in on it a little bit more.

Thanks again to the both of you.

Seeley
07-16-03, 03:19 PM
I have been looking at some other MOS's and am still making my mind up however. I really have my heart set on the 03 field right now. Thinking about it harder, I asked myself what I really wanted...

Sixguns
07-17-03, 05:57 AM
Congratulations.

Use your time to begin the preparation for recruit training. Stay motivated and let mom and dad you will make them proud.

SIXGUNS

Seeley
07-17-03, 11:07 AM
I went down the the recruiting office last night with two of my buddies and one of them has an appointment to have his parents sign his papers this next Friday, and the other is setting up an appointment with his parents still. I told him about looking at 03 and he says, "Ah, my boy's look'n to get some huh?" and he got this big grin on his face. He said later this week we'll sit down and discuss which 03 position specifficly that I want to go into. I AM SO EXCITED! ITS GOING TO BE A LONG WAIT BUT I'LL STAY MOTIVATED!

Well, time to go and do my 3 sets of max effort pushups. I'm following that fitness guide that was posted by thedrifter. That program is great! I'm feeling nice and taught muscles, my tone is already back, and I can already feel stronger!