thedrifter
05-18-09, 06:30 AM
Race fans honor Armed
Forces members

Updated: Sunday, 17 May 2009, 10:44 PM EDT
Published : Sunday, 17 May 2009, 8:46 PM EDT
Daniel Miller
Edited by Jackie Carpenter

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - Race fans took time Sunday to honor members of the Armed Forces at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Underneath the Pagoda at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway the sound of service filled the air for Armed Forces Day. For 29 years, the ceremony has been held near the yard of bricks.

It's an opportunity for some of Indiana's own to vow to protect and service.

Senator Richard Lugar administered the oath and reminded the recruits of their obligation to serve. He also reminded their families why it's important to show support.

"Each of these men and women are going to be under great personal strain," said Sen. Lugar.

"It's just so refreshing to know that the youth of today are still willing to wear the uniform to serve their country as Americans have done for decades," Indiana Adjutant General Major Gen. Martin Umbarger said of the new recruits.

"I don't think that I would ever have a day like this before so it was enjoyable for me," Logan Lord of Indianapolis said.

Lord took the oath of enlistment, he plans to serve in the Marines, "I liked Senator Lugar coming out here and swearing us in. I thought that was really interesting for everyone here."

As the Indianapolis Motor Speedway celebrates 100 years President and CEO Tony George congratulated the new recruits for committing to serve at such an important time.

"I'd like to thank all of your for serving your country, allowing the free men and women to celebrate to Memorial Day and the largest single sporting event in the world," George said.

Fifty-seven men and women enlisted in the armed forces Sunday at the track.

Ellie