PDA

View Full Version : Reading at bootcamp

mtyavara
05-17-09, 10:12 PM
I am shipping off to Parris Island in August and I read that recruits were allowed to bring religious materials i.e. a bible. Now I'm agnostic but I was raised half Catholic half Baptist. The main reason I'm asking is because I get 4 hours of free time on Sundays and I don't plan on writing any letters while at basic. I was just wondering if during those 4 hours ill really have free time or just be preping for the week ahead? I enjoy reading during my free time and theres some really humorus stories in the bible and I wasnt sure if it was worth bringing a bible because it might be a big hassle with the drill instructors/ other recruits. If anyone has any stories about this while they were at basic id appreciate reading about them.

JWDevilDog
05-17-09, 10:40 PM
Basic, huh? Basic what? What's basic? I know of nothing in Marine Corps Recruit Training that is basic.

Oh, my bad, you must have been talking about the army.

mtyavara
05-17-09, 10:43 PM
I knew I would screw something up when I posted!

JWDevilDog
05-17-09, 10:49 PM
You can read as much as your heart desires while on your four hours. H*ll, you can even read during your one hour of freetime each night. Although I don't recommend it, as you need to use that time to get all your gear squared away for the next day.

I love to read too, but didn't get to read much at boot camp. Some of my friends and family sent me news articles every so often.

You're gonna regret not sending letters. If you don't send any, then you will stop receiving any. And there is nothing in boot camp worse than not receiving letters at mail call each day. It is traumatizing, after awhile.

Wyoming
05-17-09, 10:53 PM
I am shipping off to Parris Island in August and I read that recruits were allowed to bring religious materials i.e. a bible.(Go SEARCH. This has been asked and answered many times.) Now I'm agnostic (Hmmm) but I was raised half Catholic half Baptist. The main reason I'm asking is because I get 4 hours of free time on Sundays (Really?) and I don't plan on writing any letters (Why not?) while at basic (basic?). I was just wondering if during those 4 hours ill (ill? Feeling poorly?) really have free time (Well do you get it or not?) or just be preping (preping? Hmmm, don't know that word.) for the week ahead? I enjoy reading during my free time and there's some really humorus (humorus? Nor this one.) stories in the bible and I wasnt sure if it was worth bringing a bible because it might be a big hassle with the drill instructors/ other recruits. If anyone has any stories about this while they were at basic (basic? Hmmm, could you by chance mean, Boot?) id (id? As in wizard of id?) appreciate reading about them.

I tire.

With all due respect, young one, take your time and read through the poolee forum. Lot of stuff there.

Oh yeah, they may give you a Bible. I got one at MCRDSD. I have it today. It was in a safe deposit box my Mother had at the bank.

Wyoming
05-17-09, 10:56 PM
I knew I would screw something up when I posted!

Hang in there kid, you got a good sense of humor.:D

thewookie
05-17-09, 10:56 PM
I get 4 hours of free time on Sundays

"4 hours" goes by lighting fast when you're at boot camp. Most guys use some of that time to go to services, but remember, the clock starts ticking once you right step from the barracks to the base Chapel.

You might find some time to read on your "4 hours", but you're not going to book club - YOU ARE going to boot camp. So, catch-up on all your reading before you go, so, while YOU ARE in boot camp, you can focus on the job of becoming a US Marine.

TTX
05-17-09, 11:22 PM
You have no time to read. lockup your bible like BigA said.