PDA

View Full Version : MCMA in Bootcamp

Rotella
05-13-09, 05:21 PM
Is there opportunity to attain any higher than a tan belt while in boot camp? Also, how often is there opportunity to train in MCMA for pog's after boot camp?

MLMonk
05-13-09, 05:30 PM
1. No.
2. Yes, during MOS school and it's up to your own initiative to gain a better belt.

Rotella
05-13-09, 05:32 PM
1. No.
2. Yes, during MOS school and it's up to your own initiative to gain a better belt.Appreciate the direct answers, sir. Thank you.

commdog7
05-13-09, 06:19 PM
I never had the opportunity to upgrade belts in MOS school, had to wait 'til I got to the fleet for that.

And it is officially called MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial Arts Program), not MCMA or whatever the hell you called it.

Rotella
05-13-09, 06:35 PM
Sorry my mistake.

avenger08
05-13-09, 08:04 PM
dude dont let my fellow lance corporal lead you wrong, it depends when you pick up in your class at mos school. i know in meridian when i was at mos school if you didnt pick up within 3 weeks of you getting there they sent you to pensacola to go to gray belt course

MLMonk
05-13-09, 09:31 PM
It's different here in Ft Leonard Wood, you can literally take your grey belt course during MOS school, you just need to find an instructor that is willing to teach like 5 Marines or more at a time. We get off most of the time at like 1600 each day, except night drives (2 during MVOC, 1 during LVS). I was actually thinking of getting my grey/green belt before I leave here, since my VRC class doesnt pick up for me until around early July, and it's 7 weeks long.

JWDevilDog
05-13-09, 11:25 PM
In the Fleet, it depends on how many instructors are readily available, also on your unit. For example, right now my company only has one MCMAP instructor, and he is leaving island to go back Stateside soon, so he is trying to get all the tan belts to gray and the grays to green. If you have an instructor in your company, it is easy. Just ask and keep asking about it, once a week or so (utilizing your chain of command at all times), and eventually it might happen. If you don't have an instructor, you will have to hope to find one at the Gym or something like that.