PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Veteran Marines

Brandonn
05-13-09, 05:01 PM
Hi my name is Brandon I'm 17 and I'm going to enlist in the Marines when I'm 18 and have gotten my GED. I just have a few questions to Marines who have been in combat.

1. I was going to ask my recruiter when I sign up if I could be sent to Afghanistan when I'm done with training, (Iraq will be over when I'm done with training). I understand that I could be hurt or killed and I understand that war is not at all glorious in anyway but I still have a very strong urge to fight, I never thought that the wars in the middle east would last as long as they did and they would be over by the time I was old enough to enlist. Basically am I really stupid for thinking this way? I just feel I would much rather be on the front lines in a war that I believe in rather than sitting in a barracks in Germany not doing much. I guess part of it is boredom. To all you Marines who have been in a war, was it boring for you? How much did you see combat?

2. Second question is about MOS's, are there any Marines here who served in a war as a Combat Engineer? This was one MOS I was considering, its kind of hard to find info on exactly what combat engineers do most of the time since it varies so much, do you get to fight and support the infantry with breaches?

The other MOS I was considering is in the Recon field, I'm sure some of you will laugh as I'd guess most recruits eventually want to be a recon Marine or scout sniper. Its not hard to find information on both these MOS's but most of it seems to conflict or be outdated. I'm still trying to understand exactly how it works, if you get it written in your contract are you guaranteed a shot at recon? And if you don't make it when can you try again. Is Recon mostly physical or do you need to have a great deal of intelligence to make it.

Lastly is to Marines who never got stationed on the front lines. What did you do? Was it boring? Or were you glad that you didn't have to fight.
Also is it even possible to pick if you get deployed on the front lines when you sign up? I'm guessing that the Marines wouldn't have a problem with people willing to be sent to the front, but I'm not sure how it works.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read my questions.

Rocky C
05-13-09, 05:09 PM
Thats alot of questions.
Profile up please if you want answers from us.
You can use the search box also on the top right of this page.
Hope that helps.

Wyoming
05-13-09, 05:13 PM
When you get your profile in order, and do a search, etc., etc., you will have a wealth of information.

However, as far a recon goes, '1st, you get a broomstick'.

And lastly, you asked, 'Is Recon mostly physical or do you need to have a great deal of intelligence to make it.' Are you implying that recon is big-neck and pea-brained?

Ooops, I see Rocky beat me to the punch.

Rocky C
05-13-09, 05:29 PM
When you get your profile in order, and do a search, etc., etc., you will have a wealth of information.

However, as far a recon goes, '1st, you get a broomstick'.

And lastly, you asked, 'Is Recon mostly physical or do you need to have a great deal of intelligence to make it.' Are you implying that recon is big-neck and pea-brained?

Ooops, I see Rocky beat me to the punch.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Big Al,
Semper Fi Bro!!!
Rocky

Brandonn
05-13-09, 05:57 PM
Unfortunatly I tried to do a search but the verification box will not display for me, I've tried viewing it in both internet explorer and firefox and even tried saving it to my computer but it still won't show up. Thats why I made a thread.

Lastly what is "profile up" I have a profile thats why I was able to make this thread.

Wyoming
05-13-09, 06:01 PM
Unfortunatly I tried to do a search but the verification box will not display for me, I've tried viewing it in both internet explorer and firefox and even tried saving it to my computer but it still won't show up. Thats why I made a thread.

Lastly what is "profile up" I have a profile thats why I was able to make this thread.

As of this exact moment, you DO NOT have a profile.

I beat ya to the punch Rockie!!:D

Rocky C
05-13-09, 06:01 PM
Do you have an "About Me" Section???

Rocky C
05-13-09, 06:03 PM
As of this exact moment, you DO NOT have a profile.

Who has the faster fingers now??? :D
SHIAT!!!
You win.
Rocky

Brandonn
05-13-09, 06:06 PM
Alright Profile is done.

GySgtRet
05-13-09, 06:11 PM
You might want to have a sense of urgency on what you want to do. You didn't grduate from High School so your going to join the Marine Corps. Let me tell you something right now if you quit school are you going to quit the Corps? If you are then don't bother. The requirments have changed to apply for the Marine Corps. You might want to consult with somebody in the know about this in MN. Although a GED is a achivement it just doesn't show that you will stay with things very well. This is from experience I am not picking on you just giving it to you straight as I expect you want it that way.

Gunny out
Good luck
:usmc:

Brandonn
05-13-09, 06:25 PM
You might want to have a sense of urgency on what you want to do. You didn't grduate from High School so your going to join the Marine Corps. Let me tell you something right now if you quit school are you going to quit the Corps? If you are then don't bother. The requirments have changed to apply for the Marine Corps. You might want to consult with somebody in the know about this in MN. Although a GED is a achivement it just doesn't show that you will stay with things very well. This is from experience I am not picking on you just giving it to you straight as I expect you want it that way.

Gunny out
Good luck
:usmc:I understand what you are saying, but I quit school to help with the bills and to gain valuable experience working. I would never have dropped out if I knew I couldn't get a GED. I didn't think you could really get out of the Corps once you signed the contract?

GravityRain
05-13-09, 06:51 PM
Less than 1/2 of 1% of those who take the Recon Indoc. make the cut. Just being real with you. That, like forward area combat, is not something "you" choose. It will choose you. Be hugely enamoured if chosen, and relieved if you get to go to "a Germqany Barracks". Fate will play out, and your Marine training will see you through it. Better be focusing on PFT for boot camp right now. Worry about twenty pull-ups, 1000 sit ups in one sitting, and an 18 minute 3-mile. You'll need better than that for Recon. Also, I commend you for doing what you have to do for your family. Remember, the U.S.M.C. may not always accept a G.E.D. Better jump on it during a conflict.

BR34
05-13-09, 06:57 PM
Your only question should have been "can I join the USMC with a GED and no college experience?", because right now, that's the only thing that matters, and sadly, for you, the answer is "most likely not!".

Now, you go ahead and call a recruiter, and let him/her know you have no college experience and didn't graduate high school. And be sure to tell the recruiter you quit school to gain "valuable experience" from Office Depot. From there maybe the recruiter will be able to set you on the right path.

...or you could join the army.

Brandonn
05-13-09, 07:48 PM
Your only question should have been "can I join the USMC with a GED and no college experience?", because right now, that's the only thing that matters, and sadly, for you, the answer is "most likely not!".

Now, you go ahead and call a recruiter, and let him/her know you have no college experience and didn't graduate high school. And be sure to tell the recruiter you quit school to gain "valuable experience" from Office Depot. From there maybe the recruiter will be able to set you on the right path.

...or you could join the army.Good thing I've looked into that and you can join if your test scores are high enough.

Anyways 8 posts and nobody has really been able to answer any of my questions, im guessing none of you have been in combat. Thats alright.

Thanks for your time guys.

GySgtRet
05-13-09, 07:52 PM
chipmunk. You have just insalted every Marine that ever was. Your attitude has just come through stay off of the site and don't join my Marines Corps we don't want you son go join the Army, no the Salvation Army because with a attitude like that and your experience with Office Depot you have it made. Have a good life.

If a moderator would kindly kill this thread for attitude and insulting every Marine I would appreaciate it very much.

BR34
05-13-09, 07:58 PM
Good thing I've looked into that and you can join if your test scores are high enough.

Anyways 8 posts and nobody has really been able to answer any of my questions, im guessing none of you have been in combat. Thats alright.

Nice researching skills from someone who dropped out thinking the military would save them from their sorry existence, but you might want to have a more intelligent person research the subject for you.

The Marine Corps allows a certain percentage (smaller than small percentage) of applicants to enter with a GED and no college experience, regardless of test scores. You will need to either be one of the luckiest people on earth or get 15 college credits to enlist in the Marine Corps. Luckily for all of us here, neither is going to happen, and you're going to just fade into the oblivion that is your life.

SGT7477
05-13-09, 08:02 PM
Hi my name is Brandon I'm 17 and I'm going to enlist in the Marines when I'm 18 and have gotten my GED. I just have a few questions to Marines who have been in combat.

1. I was going to ask my recruiter when I sign up if I could be sent to Afghanistan when I'm done with training, (Iraq will be over when I'm done with training). I understand that I could be hurt or killed and I understand that war is not at all glorious in anyway but I still have a very strong urge to fight, I never thought that the wars in the middle east would last as long as they did and they would be over by the time I was old enough to enlist. Basically am I really stupid for thinking this way? I just feel I would much rather be on the front lines in a war that I believe in rather than sitting in a barracks in Germany not doing much. I guess part of it is boredom. To all you Marines who have been in a war, was it boring for you? How much did you see combat?

2. Second question is about MOS's, are there any Marines here who served in a war as a Combat Engineer? This was one MOS I was considering, its kind of hard to find info on exactly what combat engineers do most of the time since it varies so much, do you get to fight and support the infantry with breaches?

The other MOS I was considering is in the Recon field, I'm sure some of you will laugh as I'd guess most recruits eventually want to be a recon Marine or scout sniper. Its not hard to find information on both these MOS's but most of it seems to conflict or be outdated. I'm still trying to understand exactly how it works, if you get it written in your contract are you guaranteed a shot at recon? And if you don't make it when can you try again. Is Recon mostly physical or do you need to have a great deal of intelligence to make it.

Lastly is to Marines who never got stationed on the front lines. What did you do? Was it boring? Or were you glad that you didn't have to fight.
Also is it even possible to pick if you get deployed on the front lines when you sign up? I'm guessing that the Marines wouldn't have a problem with people willing to be sent to the front, but I'm not sure how it works.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read my questions.
Don't even bring up Recon when you haven't earned OUR title.:evilgrin:

Old Marine
05-13-09, 08:47 PM
Front Line. Are you serious. The front lines left when Korea ended. Do you ever watch the news on TV? You better be a quick learner Grasshopper.

sparkie
05-13-09, 09:02 PM
Do you Know how to talk to a Marine who has combat experience??? Most would just pizz down your neck hole. Go away.

JWDevilDog
05-13-09, 11:44 PM

This kid knows nothing of what it means to be a Marine. I've personally talked to a 12 year old over the phone (friend of my sister) who knows more about our beloved Corps than this kid.

Good thing I've looked into that and you can join if your test scores are high enough.

Ok kid, you listen and you listen with "EARS, OPEN!" Good thing you have an attitude and will never make it in our Marine Corps. You do not talk to Marines like that.

Eight posts and no one has answered because you aren't asking the right questions. We answered the questions you should have been asking, to help you out NOW. As the Corporal (BR34) said, you should have asked if you can join on a GED. I only know TWO Marines who have GEDs. It is incredibly rare.

You are just another wannabe Rambo who wants to go kill and chase as many shiny medals as possible. That is not what it means to be a Marine. I understand wanting to get into the thick of things, as I haven't yet been deployed to a war zone. But does that mean I'm not serving my beloved country and Corps? Absolutely not, because every MOS is mission critical and everyone performs some task that furthers the chance of mission accomplishment.

Now, in terms of whether or not the Marines on this site have seen war. How dare you say something so insulting to someone such as one of the kind Gunnys who was trying to help your sorry butt. Just because a Marine chooses not to answer a childish question about combat and "getting deployed to the front lines" doesn't mean they haven't been there in the sh*t, son. All it means is you aren't doing something right, or you're pressing a dangerous button because there might be stories there that they don't want to remember.

Good, kid, good. Go ahead and not read the rules of the site, and go ahead be so blatantly disrespectful to Marines.

TJR1070
05-14-09, 07:37 AM
Hey Brandonn, just in case you don't check your visitor messages here is my message to you:

Go away you disgusting, disrespectful POS!! If you ever speak to any Marine like you did in your thread I will personally come to your town and we can have a private talk about respect. The Gunnery Sergeants you have insulted have done more for this Nation than you will ever know, let alone match. Stay at Office Depot and gain more valuable work experience since that will probably be the only achievment in your miserable pathetic life. By the way the only reason you were able to make that ridiculous comment was because of the men you insulted that made sure you grew up in a free Country, so next time just say Thank You and GO AWAY!!!!

Marine84
05-14-09, 08:04 AM
ROTFFLMAO over here!

It's threads like this that make for free entertainment around here - LOL!

(where IS that fking frog?)

SSgt Ramsey
05-14-09, 08:06 AM
Yet another example as to why animals eat their young....run along little boy, run along and enjoy your miserable existence that will surely follow you for life.

KawiGunny
05-14-09, 08:08 AM

You make me laugh. You have insulted many Marines on this site with your stupid f*cking ignorance. Isn't it time for your shift and McD's?

PaidinBlood
05-14-09, 08:18 AM
http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/draft_lens2061222module10323282photo_1215331919nik ki-sixx2.jpg
Don't go away mad...just go away...

NoRemorse
05-14-09, 08:20 AM
Completely over his head with that one, PiB.

I think the Epic Fail pic might be making the rounds on this forum...

PaidinBlood
05-14-09, 08:22 AM
yes....more age/education appropriate....:thumbup:

SSgt Ramsey
05-14-09, 08:25 AM
I'm betting dollars to doughnuts that Brandon wasn't even a glimmer in his parents eyes when that Album was released lol....I remember seeing the GirlsX3 tour in Portland ME :D

Hell, I have guitars older than Brandon lol...

Pity his father didn't pull out or spend $.25 for a condom....

NoRemorse
05-14-09, 08:31 AM
But I found a video of this kid PTing

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r129/Pr0ZaK87/213fcs9.gif

PaidinBlood
05-14-09, 08:33 AM
holy crap...how did he possibly think that one would work out...?

Brandonn
05-14-09, 09:04 AM
I didn't mean to offend anybody at all. My comment was very ignorant to say I understand that now, although I'm sure most of you just want me to leave the forums I feel the need to apologize.

At the time I posted I didn't understand how my comment would offend anyone, I grew up in a very liberal area and I'll admit I never learned a lot of respect (my dad was never in my life) to me my question was no different that asking somebody about an aspect of their job, such as if I asked a carpenter about building a house and he didn't know I'd assume he has never build one before (bad example I know)

Anyways I apologize to each and every one of you who I've offended and while I'm sure you don't believe me or accept my apology soldiers to me earn the highest respect I can possibly give, when I came back and read the thread again I felt terrible knowing how I offended people who gave up years of their lives to defend the US.

I don't mean to make excuses either just please accept my apology for what its worth.

Old Marine
05-14-09, 09:15 AM
Hey Grasshopper: We are not Soldiers. Soldiers are in the Army. I would magine that all the Soldiers are very glad that they have earned your highest respect.

Brandonn
05-14-09, 09:19 AM
I used Soldiers as a general term for anybody who serves in any branch of the millitary. Since I'd imagine some of you have served in other branches also.

NoRemorse
05-14-09, 09:27 AM
Then you'd call us servicemembers.

Regardless of which branch we've served in, if you see the title of Marine then you can most assuredly address us as Marines above all else.

Never given, always earned...

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m468/bjjfiter/marines.jpg

Brandonn
05-14-09, 09:28 AM
Sorry I'll edit my post.

SSgt Ramsey
05-14-09, 09:30 AM
Really, Brandon, do yourself a favor and leave this site and don't return...you have done irreparable harm to yourself and have single-handedly insulted every Marine here by your ignorance.

Some of these Marine's have more time in combat than you have stayed in High School...they are the definition of Honor, Courage, Committment...you, are not.

To further insult us with "soldier" only magnifies your ignorance....we are Marine's...not soldiers, not Airmen, not Sailors (although we do have a special fondness for our Navy bretherin).

You can't even finish High School regardless of the reason that you justified leaving for. If you can't complete something as simple as High School, why should we or any other branch trust you to honor your obligation?? Zero, that is the correct answer.

BR34
05-14-09, 12:19 PM
Many civilians are ignorant to the difference between soldiers, Marines, army, Marine Corps, etc. Many just call all armed forces "the Army". Being ignorant to that isn't something to reprimand someone over.

Besides, it's actually funny when someone apologizes for ****ing off a bunch of Marines by saying "I'm sorry, Soldier!"

sparkie
05-14-09, 08:16 PM
STOP,,,,,,,,,, I;m ready to give another chance, Here. Apologies are rare in that generation,,,,,,,,He might have the stuff,,,,,,, We were all Dumbazzes, once.

PaidinBlood
05-14-09, 08:40 PM
True enough...rather than exile, I say sentence him to something far worse: Stick around and learn something. Go forward armed with this lesson in tact and courtesy. Remember why the good Lord gave us two ears and but one mouth to compete with them. Good luck Brandon... hope ya learned something.

Brandonn
05-14-09, 09:58 PM
Thanks you guys. I do have alot to learn about respect (it is not very present in my generation). In about a year and a half I will be a Marine hopefully I will earn your guys respect as well :)

GravityRain
05-14-09, 10:07 PM
Read about the life of Sgt. york. He made a great soldier, in spite of upbringing, education, or understanding. It just takes heart. True heart. And a willingness to learn.

thedrifter
05-15-09, 08:14 AM
Read about the life of Sgt. york. He made a great soldier, in spite of upbringing, education, or understanding. It just takes heart. True heart. And a willingness to learn.

A fine ending....

Now go read, listen and learn all You can.....