PDA

View Full Version : Help with a PFT

Mena
05-13-09, 08:09 AM
(Sorry I haven't been posting I haven't had internet access for about 2 months now)

This is Mena, the girl who got RE-3P from bootcamp for a depressive disorder. Well my BUMED waiver came back approved, all i need now is an ELS waiver. I had an interview with the commanding officer and he said its going to be REALLY HARD to sell this story to his general to get the ELS waiver approved, so he wants me to run a PFT of 285 or higher. The crunches and the flexed arm hang have never been an issue for me, but the fastest i ever ran a PFT was 27:55. They're reserving a spot for me in July, i just want to be able to get that 285 so i can get my ELS waiver.

I just want to know if any of the Marine can give me advice and improving running time. I know that the only way to get better at running is to run, but when should I do long distance and what days should I sprint, and how often do i take breaks? I've been looking online and all of the training schedules are different.

Thank you for your time,
Mena.

NoRemorse
05-13-09, 08:23 AM
I'm assuming you've made weight. I'd highly recommend you try to get in contact with SlingerDun for help. That Marine knows this trash backwards and forwards.

MXPRO619
05-13-09, 09:30 AM
Well , i suggest that you run sprits, its the quickiest way to get ur run times up. i suggest running 2 days on 1 dy off. Go to the gym and work out ur legs. Its not only endurance its also your legs that play a big factor in ur run time. It ur legs fatique than u will slow down.

BR34
05-13-09, 12:14 PM
I'd recommend squats, sprints, and bicycling to get your legs stronger 3 times a week and long distances 2 times a week. But I'm REALLY no expert. Shouldn't be too hard to improve from 27:xx. What run time do you need to get a 285 if you max everything else?

Mena
05-13-09, 02:24 PM
well for female a perfect PFT is a run time of 21:00 minutes or less. And for every extra minute past 21:00 its i believe 6 points off...so i would say no more than a 23:30.
Thank you for the advice, i'll be sure to put it to great use.

BR34
05-13-09, 02:40 PM
Getting down to 23:30 from 27:50 in under 2 months is a tall order. Don't over do it...you could end up hurting yourself more than you're helping.

Mena
05-13-09, 03:54 PM
yeah i don't wanna over do it. even if it means that i have to push my ship date back so be it, i just wanna be ready.

SlingerDun
05-14-09, 06:31 PM
Well Ramon :beer: 4 minutes IS substantial.

You could patiently whittle away at run time by bird-dogging it without trying to conquer or kill, but creep up and overtake.
I know that the only way to get better at running is to run..A popular misconception this has proven to be. I don't know what or where IKEA is but if it's possible to walk there or walk halfway and grab a bus, or get a ride there and walk back i.e. If that's not practical try walking to the supermarket with a pack and bags in each hand humping your groceries home; a potentially a low impact mild ass kicker that can be repeated many times a week with little or no damage.

Remaining active all the way down to taking the batteries out of your TV remote. Never drive or accept a ride if you have the time to cover that distance on foot, even if it's a grinder of hump. Combined with running this pick's away at time because you're passively gaining cardio and cutting ounces of weight when you otherwise would be sitting in a vehicle. Far fewer chances of run down injuries compared to the intensity of progressive running routine.

NoRemorse: I carry bear spray in a ruck pocket for those who would do me harm on humps:cool:

--->Dave

BR34
05-14-09, 08:05 PM
Here's something I just found that has plenty good advice, lots of which I plan on using.

http://www.wikihow.com/Run-Faster

What do you think of that SlingerDun?

SlingerDun
05-14-09, 09:08 PM
Make a commitment to train for three days a week.That usually takes care of all the what to do's and conditioning goals and run times that eventually seem obtainable and fall into place. It's the other days that certain athletes with a similar plan tend to grow complacent...
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or gazelle - when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."
Or just get a move on!

--->Dave

NoRemorse
05-14-09, 09:51 PM
Gentlemen, it's almost Friday. I think the first round is on me.:beer:

Mena
05-15-09, 06:14 AM
thank you so much for your help! i'll get right on it.
My recruiter is having me run a PFT at the end of this month to see where i'm at.
I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.
thanks a million!