PDA

View Full Version : 40 years ago today

davblay
05-12-09, 11:34 PM
I am posting this in Poolee hall for a reason! I want all the people to see this post. I was thinking earlier today that it was 40 years ago today that I got off that Cattle Car on MCRD at 0200hrs, and stood on those infamous yellow footprints. That was on a Monday, 12May69....exactly 40 years ago today. Now that day didn't end, as I recall, until Wednesday at about 2200hrs. The next few days are pretty much a blur, as you all know!

I sound like the WWII and Korea vets telling about enlisting "30" years ago, when they were telling us kids about thier service time. I really enjoyed talking to the IWO Vets, there were three in my community......ah but that was a long time ago.

Semper Fi Marines, the drings on me, for the Corps! GOD Bless us all!

Dave

JSam
05-12-09, 11:41 PM
Congratulations, that's quite a monument, Cpl.
I have another month and 16 days till I hit those footprints, and if I can only be half the Marine you are, I will have achieved something great.

Thanks for your service, Marine.
:flag::thumbup:

Books
05-13-09, 12:15 AM
As Time Goes By, Corporal.

agwilliams
05-13-09, 01:24 AM
Congrats Corporal.

Marine84
05-13-09, 08:03 AM
WOW!

Semper Fi my Brother and THANK YOU for blazing the path!

KawiGunny
05-13-09, 08:05 AM
Time fly's when your having fun. Semper Fi Brother.

This sort of reminds me of those Marine Corps calendars that had something from our history on each date. Need to write them so they can change whatever info they have for the "Dave Day".:beer:

Rocky C
05-13-09, 08:12 AM
Semper Fi Dave!!!
June 19th will mark 32 years for me since I hit those yellow footprints at Parris Island and I celebrate it every year.
Crown Royal UP!!!

Semper Fi My Brothers and Sisters

Rocky

SgtThrasher
05-13-09, 08:36 AM
Dave,Imagine how I feel, since I stood on the footprints at Parris Island in September 1965,but it seems like yesterday.How could those years pass so quickly,but the memories never do?

Semper Fidelis

silverdollar
05-13-09, 10:02 AM
May 19 will make it 55 years for me.:marine:

DWG
05-13-09, 10:12 AM
I was going to chastise your "Boot Ass" since I'm pushing 41 years away from PI (7/17/68); but Thrasher and Silverdollar stole the wind from my sails! :cry:Dammit!

Drink one for me; hell, drink TWO for me!:thumbup:

ggyoung
05-13-09, 10:53 AM
Davie about 3 months ago me and the wife were eating our lunch at the Golden Corral when I saw a old gentlemen with a black jacket on. On the back of the jacket was "Iwo Jima suriver" I got up and fallowed him to his table. Well to my surprise there were 5 more Iwo Jima Survivors. I became the humble person in that building. After talking to these great American Hero's I found out that they meet there every month and there meals are on the house.

sscjoe
05-13-09, 03:24 PM
Congratulations, that's quite a monument, Cpl.
I have another month and 16 days till I hit those footprints, and if I can only be half the Marine you are, I will have achieved something great.

Thanks for your service, Marine.
:flag::thumbup:

34 years for me on 12/01/09. I want to take this moment to thank you Dave for all you do for the young poolees who are just beginning their journey. I wanted to quote JSam so I could add that if people in this world could be half the man you are the world would be a better place.

davblay
05-13-09, 05:24 PM
34 years for me on 12/01/09. I want to take this moment to thank you Dave for all you do for the young poolees who are just beginning their journey. I wanted to quote JSam so I could add that if people in this world could be half the man you are the world would be a better place.

It humbles me to have my Marine Corps family to say such things about me. But the truth is I have never forgotten my roots to the Corps. The poolees are the next generation of us old salty farts. :beer:

Semper Fi

Dave

Sgt Jim
05-13-09, 06:38 PM
Dave,I stepped on those foot prints in Oct 6 1969.It,s been a long time.Semper Fi

SGT7477
05-13-09, 08:08 PM
June it will be 35 years ago for me, time sure does fly.

SeanRyan32
05-13-09, 08:17 PM
I am posting this in Poolee hall for a reason! I want all the people to see this post. I was thinking earlier today that it was 40 years ago today that I got off that Cattle Car on MCRD at 0200hrs, and stood on those infamous yellow footprints. That was on a Monday, 12May69....exactly 40 years ago today. Now that day didn't end, as I recall, until Wednesday at about 2200hrs. The next few days are pretty much a blur, as you all know!

I sound like the WWII and Korea vets telling about enlisting "30" years ago, when they were telling us kids about thier service time. I really enjoyed talking to the IWO Vets, there were three in my community......ah but that was a long time ago.

Semper Fi Marines, the drings on me, for the Corps! GOD Bless us all!

Dave

Wow, sir! 40 years! I'll see you at the yellow footprints for sure. Story time! You have to star with "Back in my day...", though. ;) Thank you for leading the way for poolees like me, sir.

sparkie
05-13-09, 08:33 PM
Dave,,,,,,,, You beat me to those prints by 1 month. I guess you're the old fuk..... I remain a boot,,,,,,,,

Old Marine
05-13-09, 08:39 PM
July 7, 2009 will be 56 years since I showed up at Receiving Barracks at MCRD, San Diego. Didn't have to stand on any yellow footprints as they did not have them then. Seems like last week that the Drill Instructors were whispering sweet nothings in my ear while nibbling on it. Remember very well being taken to the chow hall and holding my tray out in front of me and the Drill Instructor (PFC Pallot) filling every compartment of the tray with cold Mac & Cheese because I never had a clue to pull back the tray when I had enough. I was then told to sit down and eat every bit of it. I cannot stand Mac & Cheese to this day. Semper Fi Marines and have a great tour of duty.

sparkie
05-13-09, 08:55 PM
Old Marine,,,,,,, What part of Nevada you hidin in??? I recall the first few weeks o boot,,,, I didn't shet for 15 days. Wonder where it went?

meallen07
05-13-09, 11:24 PM
Very insperational! Thank you for posting, and congratulations; it was good to hear.

Old Marine
05-14-09, 07:58 AM
Sparkie: Do you have brown eyes???

Northeastern Nevada. Sixty one miles west of Elko. Cowboy country and lots of gold mines.