PDA

View Full Version : Transition Lenses with Uniform?

LittleBit
05-09-09, 04:23 PM
I've searched and haven't found anything about this. In JROTC one year, they made me take off my glasses with my uniform outdoors because they were transition lenses, meaning they darken in sunlight. I know when I go to boot camp, I'll be receiving their own brand of glasses, but do you get to wear your own glasses for graduation? If you do, should I be worried about wearing transition lenses since graduation takes place outside?

Rocky C
05-09-09, 04:38 PM
That should be the least of your worries. Come graduation time you won't care what kind of glasses you wear and it won't matter because you'll have a hard time seeing anyway with your eyes filling up with tears of pride for earing the title of A UNITED STATES MARINE !!!.
Semper Fi,
Rocky

Sgt0231
05-09-09, 05:03 PM
Technically, you are not supposed to wear any type of sunglasses in any formation unless authorized by your commanding officer or for a medical reason... ie dilated pupils. There is already a post similar to this...

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28363

Also, here is the order. You can google it, it took me not even 10 seconds to find the order.

Articles that may be worn while in uniform include inconspicuous wrist watches and rings. Sunglasses may be worn on leave, liberty, and in garrison but not in formation with troops, unless the need to wear sunglasses has been certified by medical authorities. When authorized for wear in formations, sunglass lenses will be of standard green or dark green shade or may be the type commonly referred to as "photosensitive." Sunglasses that do not have "photosensitive" lenses will not be worn indoors. Eyeglasses/sunglasses, when worn, will be conservative in appearance. Eccentric or conspicuous eyepieces are prohibited. Chains, bands, or ribbons will not be attached to eyeglasses; however, eyeglass restraints are authorized for safety purposes, but must be of conservative style/design. (IGMC)

MLMonk
05-10-09, 12:20 AM
My Senior let 3 Marines in my platoon from bootcamp wear their own glass's during Marine week. You can wear any type of sunglasses's in uniform as long as your not in formation, they're not eccentric, have black/darkened tint and frame.

There are junior Marines walking around the barracks here with transitional glasses all the time and I never see any Sgt's or SSgt's tell them to take them off, so I'm guessing they're ok to wear. I think the MCO the Sgt posted states that you can wear the transitionals, atleast that is what I got out of it, those are worded annoyingly to understand.

Old Marine
05-10-09, 09:09 AM
What the hell is Marine week??? Explain.

MLMonk
05-10-09, 10:23 AM
It's what they called the final week after the crucible when you've earned your title and received the EGA, GySgt.

LittleBit
06-25-09, 07:05 PM
Sorry it took so long for me to respond. Thanks for the information!

Sergeant M
06-25-09, 07:16 PM
Marine week? Do you guys play board games and stuff?

Petz
06-26-09, 09:39 AM
no, they use emnu to fix the lines in the squad bay, field day EVERY day and get their uniforms squared away for graduation... practice for graduation.... and I think family day is in there at some point.