PDA

View Full Version : Is it Possible to get Enlisted Commissioned Program in a contract?

11BangBang
05-08-09, 07:16 AM
I'm currently in the Army incase you couldn't tell. I was interested in joining the USMC as an Officer to see which branch I liked better then stick with one for the remainder of my 20 years, but I also wanted to go through boot. I looked into ECP and the requirement says 1 year Active Duty. Would they accept 4 years Army active duty or is it 1 year in the Corps?

0231Marine
05-08-09, 07:18 AM
You need to fill out your profile before posting. Then you can ask questions and will probably get some answers too.

0231Marine
05-08-09, 07:30 AM
I'm currently in the Army incase you couldn't tell. I was interested in joining the USMC as an Officer to see which branch I liked better then stick with one for the remainder of my 20 years, but I also wanted to go through boot. I looked into ECP and the requirement says 1 year Active Duty. Would they accept 4 years Army active duty or is it 1 year in the Corps?

Alright, now that that's taken care of...no, your 4 years of Army active duty is not transferable. You still have to complete Marine Corps Boot Camp and serve your time.

Regarding you wanting to try it out for a while to see if you like it...In my opinion, that's not the right mindset to have. If you want to be a Marine, then that's fine but do it for the right reasons. Don't enlist just to try it out because you might come to find you hate it and then you're stuck.

11BangBang
05-08-09, 07:39 AM
Alright, now that that's taken care of...no, your 4 years of Army active duty is not transferable. You still have to complete Marine Corps Boot Camp and serve your time.

Regarding you wanting to try it out for a while to see if you like it...In my opinion, that's not the right mindset to have. If you want to be a Marine, then that's fine but do it for the right reasons. Don't enlist just to try it out because you might come to find you hate it and then you're stuck.

I'm aware that rank wont transfer but I already spoke to a Marine recruiter who said that my time in the Army will transfer over when it comes to TIS pay. Whats wrong with just wanting to try stuff out? I'm trying out the Army as we speak and i'm doing fine. My superiors are trying to send me to Ranger School after this deployment. But in the chance that I do hate it, it'll only last for a couple of years then I get out.

But if you know for a fact that my Army service wont transfer when it comes to the ECP program, is there any way to go through boot and get some sort of officer program in my contract? If not, is it hard to get your COC to send you to an Officer program.

While in the Army I plan to doing college classes to try to earn my bachelors degree. I have about 2 years of college already.

0231Marine
05-08-09, 07:48 AM
TIS pay is one thing but you still have to meet the requirements for MECEP if you go enlisted. All this means is you'll be getting paid as a 4 year PFC.

The problem with wanting to join the Marine Corps just to try it out is that you have to want to be a Marine from the start. The Marines have a different mental make-up from the Army. I obviously can't expect you to understand that yet because all you know is the Army but it's a lot different. If it's not something you want to do, only something you're quasi-interested in and want to try it out, then you'll fail. Marine Corps Drill Instructors are quite capable of weeding out the non-hackers and those that don't want to be there. You go do your Ranger School and all your Army training because when you switch to the Marine Corps, that's not going to mean anything. You'll still be a PFC taking out the trash and field daying until your hands lose feeling because your LCpl told you too. If you're ok with that, then sign the paperwork.

I'm not sure about having officer writen into your contract but I wouldn't think that is possible. If you don't have your degree yet, then you're going to need to serve your time in the fleet at the bottom of the enlisted ranks and then apply for MECEP later.

SSgt Ramsey
05-08-09, 10:15 AM
OK, OK, OK....

First, why would you enlist with the ECP option and guarantee?? That makes no sense whatsoever. If you plan on being a officer, there are ways to do that from the outset and become commissioned. Personally, I don't even think this is possible to do. A big portion of the package required for these programs is endorsements from the Unit, Group, and CG level's prior to forwarding them to HQMC for processing. The other tangibles are leadership ability, Physical fitness, rifle/pistol scores, pro/ccon marks etc. It's a big package that is all-encompassing.

I don't know if you're confusing programs or not...ECP is the Enlisted Commissioning Program which basically means you already have some formal college credits and will allow you to finish your degree to become an officer.

MECEP is the Marine Corps Enlisted Commissioning Program, which is under the assumption that you have no college currently, but wll allow you to attend a college/university participating in the program to get your degree to obtain a commission.

2 different programs with different criteria and targeted audience to fill but moving towards the same goal, becomming a commissioned officer.

Also, with your current Army time, the only advantage that holds for you is TIS to have a earlier PEBD for pay purposes. Your AFADBD will be adjusted for any lost time or breaks in service. Most likely, your PEBD and AFADBD will be different if you go into the USMC.

echo3oscar1833
05-08-09, 10:32 AM
TIS pay is one thing but you still have to meet the requirements for MECEP if you go enlisted. All this means is you'll be getting paid as a 4 year PFC.

The problem with wanting to join the Marine Corps just to try it out is that you have to want to be a Marine from the start. The Marines have a different mental make-up from the Army. I obviously can't expect you to understand that yet because all you know is the Army but it's a lot different. If it's not something you want to do, only something you're quasi-interested in and want to try it out, then you'll fail. Marine Corps Drill Instructors are quite capable of weeding out the non-hackers and those that don't want to be there. You go do your Ranger School and all your Army training because when you switch to the Marine Corps, that's not going to mean anything. You'll still be a PFC taking out the trash and field daying until your hands lose feeling because your LCpl told you too. If you're ok with that, then sign the paperwork.

I'm not sure about having officer writen into your contract but I wouldn't think that is possible. If you don't have your degree yet, then you're going to need to serve your time in the fleet at the bottom of the enlisted ranks and then apply for MECEP later.

Agree with you 0231, on that note of what you were saying about him getting paid as a 4 year PFC is not going to matter from that of a 4 month PFC. According to the 2009 Military Pay Scale a PFC no matter how many years gets paid $1,568.70 it dosn't matter how many years of Service one has. Once your and E-3 or higher TIS makes a difference in how much you get paid.. For those that are interested in the current pay scale i here is the link.

http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/militarypaytables.html

11BangBang
05-08-09, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the help. I wanted to enlist first so that I could go through boot and earn the EGA and enlisted dress blue uniform. My father was a Marine. I already have some college which is why I was asking about the ECP. I was under the impression that Recon Marines competed for Ranger School slots, if I can get an Airborne slot(already turned it down once) then that'll be a plus.

echo3oscar1833
05-08-09, 10:41 AM
On he note of transfering from another branch of the Service to the Marines Corps is something myself I have 50/50 feelings about. I have seen guys who have made it. However I have also seen others who were so set in there ways from other branches, that it ends up being there ultimate demise when it came to promotions. We knew a Lance Corporal that was a Prior Army SSgt. It took him his entire 4 year enlisment to pick up Corporal, he thought he was hot **** because he was a former E-6. He made alot of mistakes, and ended up being his fallback in the Marine Corps. The other thing I have a problem with when it comes to Prior Service joining the Marine Corps who are E-5's and above who have proven themselves in there branch of service. Completed various schools, and are shi$ hot in there MOS. These are people who have families, and are on a fast track in the Career, and are making more money than they would by joining the Marine Corps. Don't get me wrong the Marine Corps is not about pay, and we do it because we love it. However why would you give up a great career, and rank, and possible promotions. Just to become a Private agian and do **** detail. I think its just right down stupid to do so, agian its just my opinion, but thats how I see it. :marine:

11BangBang
05-08-09, 10:51 AM
So the best option would be to try to come in straight as an officer and forget about boot/earning the enlisted dress blues? If I do go through with the branch change I'd try to stick with my current MOS.

SSgt Ramsey
05-08-09, 10:56 AM
Whether you go into Enlisted boot-camp or OCS, you still have to earn the title of Marine regardless....each is very demanding in their own right and different....there's no guarantee that you would complete either.

echo3oscar1833
05-08-09, 10:59 AM
So the best option would be to try to come in straight as an officer and forget about boot/earning the enlisted dress blues? If I do go through with the branch change I'd try to stick with my current MOS.

What is your current rank, what is your current MOS. On the note of not going enlisted. I would say finish out your current enlistment, and take an alternative route as SSgt Ramsey was saying ealier. There are many other ways of becoming a Marine Corps Officer. Get out use your GI Bill, and other Government funding get your degree look into programs such as OCS, ROTC, plus Im sure there are others. Granted there will be "Boot Camp" type things you will have to do of course. But why go backwards in rank when you can just go foward. Semper Fi

thewookie
05-08-09, 12:05 PM
If you want to be an Officer so bad go Officer from the get go, either that or get out of the way.:mad:

And most of the time when Marines go to Ranger school they either graduate the top dog, or due to politics, instead finish in the the top percentile of their class. The reason is simple, Ranger school prepares you to be a Marine. :)

11BangBang
05-09-09, 02:38 AM
And most of the time when Marines go to Ranger school they either graduate the top dog, or due to politics, instead finish in the the top percentile of their class. The reason is simple, Ranger school prepares you to be a Marine. :)
No they don't... but lets not turn this into a branch bashing topic. And im pretty sure its only your best that compete to go to Ranger School.

If I go commissioned from the get go I can't experience the Crucible, which was my reason for joining the Army first(to experience Army osut as well) If I did go enlisted would I not be able to apply for a commissioned program soon after getting to my unit?

Quinbo
05-09-09, 03:41 AM
http://www.geocities.com/nhbludog/junk/hurtfeelings.JPG

SGT7477
05-09-09, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the help. I wanted to enlist first so that I could go through boot and earn the EGA and enlisted dress blue uniform. My father was a Marine. I already have some college which is why I was asking about the ECP. I was under the impression that Recon Marines competed for Ranger School slots, if I can get an Airborne slot(already turned it down once) then that'll be a plus.
My opinion with your father being a Marine why didn't you join the best first?:evilgrin:

SGT7477
05-09-09, 06:59 AM
http://www.geocities.com/nhbludog/junk/hurtfeelings.JPGNow that is funny.:D

SSgt Ramsey
05-09-09, 07:08 AM
Here's a novel idea....:idea:

Why dont you go to usmc.mil, then look up Maradmin's for FY-09 MECEP and ECP programs to get the criteria and the process for submission and go from there.

I can tell you this, the Marine Corps doesn't care if you were prior Army or not, in fact it will probably go against you in some ways dependent on your attitude.

A Marine Officer coming from the Enlisted ranks is relatively rare amongst a very small core of professionals. One of the biggest criteria for a enlisted Marine going into the officer side is leadership and all that encompasses it.

thewookie
05-09-09, 10:10 AM
http://www.geocities.com/nhbludog/junk/hurtfeelings.JPG

.... :) one of my all time favorites..... I love the disclaimer at the end and the 2nd question in section E... haha - too funny:yes:

Quinbo
05-09-09, 10:21 AM
One thing the cry babies dread is when we break out the Wookie. Turn you loose from your cage and all hell breaks loose.

Marine84
05-09-09, 10:40 AM
OMG! I HAVE to print this out for the office!!! That is funny as hell!

11BangBang
05-10-09, 11:48 PM
My opinion with your father being a Marine why didn't you join the best first?:evilgrin:
Would've made it kinda hard to go through both basics if I did join the Marines first. But I will look at that website.

0231Marine
05-18-09, 07:29 AM
Damn picture won't show up!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/C:\Documents and Settings\brandon.long\Desktop\FAT.jpg