PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps Daily 16 workout

Draco771
05-07-09, 03:24 PM
http://www.usmc-mccs.org/display_files/Daily16.pdf

How many sets do you Marines typically do?

I know the "warm up" repetitions I'll be doubling-tripling. (I've done those exercises before, long story.)

But for the "Main Workout" exercises, how many 4 counts of each is "typical"?

Respectfully, I plan on combining the Marine Corps workout routine with the Army workout routine http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/Prep_For_Basic_Training/pre_basic_combat_training_physical_fitness_trainin g/army-prebct-standardized--2.shtml

to hopefully double the workout recieved, as well as to physically condition myself greater than I already am.

(With PU/SU/PulU and Running as the primary exercises above the rest, but I will be doubling the workout routines in both)

Any advice/tips?

And again, regarding the Marine Corps Daily 16, what is the number of repetitions of four count does your unit do typically?

Rocky C
05-07-09, 03:44 PM
"Respectfully, I plan on combining the Marine Corps workout routine with the Army workout routine"

Is that Right!!!

"Ultimate PT Goal:
1,000 Push-ups 8 hours - Day 1
1,000 Sit-ups 8 hours - Day 2
8 Mile Run 3 hours - Day 3 "

Well, Good Luck to you......

Draco771
05-07-09, 03:54 PM
"Respectfully, I plan on combining the Marine Corps workout routine with the Army workout routine"

Is that Right!!!

"Ultimate PT Goal:
1,000 Push-ups 8 hours - Day 1
1,000 Sit-ups 8 hours - Day 2
8 Mile Run 3 hours - Day 3 "

Well, Good Luck to you......

Thank you, I appreciate it.

A large goal of mine, is to be as physically fit as I humanly can.

I've heard a great deal regarding Marines in the 03 series. In particular a retired 0323 informed me he ran 13 miles with full gear everyday. (in less than two hours a piece)

Personally, I want to be one of the most physically fit men around.

I know it sounds childish, but I've already doubled the Army workout, and personally if there is a workout for Marines, and one for the Army, than it'd only be common sense to combine them both to be twice as fit for the Army, and twice as fit for the Marine Corps.

Or am I going about this wrong?

BR34
05-07-09, 07:37 PM
Ahh...yea, I remember you.

Matt Brzycki
05-08-09, 09:31 PM
Ultimate PT Goal:
500 Push-ups 1 hour - Day 1
500 Sit-ups 1 hour - Day 2
8 Mile Run 84 minute - Day 3
500 Crunches 1 hour - Day 4
500 Pull-ups 1 hour - Day 5

Well, running 8 miles in 84 minutes is attainable by anyone who's reasonably fit. That's what, a mile every 10 minutes and 30 seconds?

And 500 sit-ups in an hour is also attainable by anyone who's reasonably fit. That's doing about 8.5 a minute for 60 minutes. Same with 500 crunches in an hour. 500 push-ups in an hour is gonna be a bit more challenging.

As for the 500 pull-ups in an hour, lotsa luck. About 5 years ago, that woulda been a world record.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

Matt Brzycki
05-09-09, 02:23 PM
One addendum to the 500 pull-ups: In 2003, Alan Sharkany Jr, a former Marine, set an "unofficial" world record of 239 pull-ups in one hour in New York City (captured on FOX News). It was "unofficial" since he apparently never sent in the necessary paperwork/materials to Guinness. He also attempted to do as many pull-ups as possible in 24 hours but stopped during the 13th hour due to some type of injury after completing 2,101.

In 2004, Matt Bogdanowicz set the "official" record - since broken - of 522 at the Marine Corps Recruiting Center in Livermore, California, "[dedicating] his effort to the Marines and all troops serving in Iraq." He's also a very talented masters track athlete, by the way, running a 2:03.48 in the 800 and 4:15.01 in the 1500 this year in the men's 40-44 age group.

So, again, doing 500 pull-ups in an hour would be quit an achievement, something that can be attained only by a relatively small number of people on the planet.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

Draco771
05-17-09, 06:11 PM
Thank you Sergeant!

Personally I plan on cutting the times down as I go.

Ultimately I plan on breaking each down into 15 minutes total to achieve said number, and especially plan on breaking down the 8 mile run into 48 minutes. (6 minute per mile)

I want to get in as great as physical shape as humanly possible, since I have to wait until March to Enlist anyways, may as well bust my chops to get physically squared away, and head out after finishing Job Corps. (Nursing or Networking, haven't quite decided yet)

usmcmsf
05-17-09, 06:27 PM
This is all good, but make sure you get enough rest/water/and sleep to help aid these workouts. Do not overtrain, sometimes less is more.

cowstep2
05-17-09, 06:35 PM
This BS smells of goat crap

Draco771
05-18-09, 10:21 AM
Lance Corporal usmcmsf I understand what you mean, but personally I hope to achieve physical fitness levels greather than my best. (Because my best is never good enough).

This BS smells of goat crap

Respectfully Corporal, There isn't any BS at all involved.

Physical fitness is not something restricted to Military/Paramilitary individuals, nor even just DEPs etc.

It's benefits are greater than anything else you can do for your body with exception to not doing drugs, and not drinking alcohol/smoking. (which I don't do either)

You only have one body, why waste it?

Whether if I wish to wait or not, is irrelevant. I have to wait until March 18, 2010 before I'm even eligible, and will be going through Job Corps to learn some civilian skills and a trade so I'd have something to fall back on, and perhaps in the meantime while waiting, actually enjoy a life outside of HS. I graduate on the 5th of June, may not be the "best" shape, but I plan on becoming faster, stronger, and more physically enduring.

Speaking with some Marines on here, I have been giving thought to it, as well as the Navy regarding Corpsmen. (I had a sort of G/F last June who was a Corpsman. Amazing woman she was)

My whole thing, is I have a set of goals I wish to achieve beforehand. Unless something prevents me from achieving a particular goal, which I'll find out if that's the case the next time I do a MEPS physical.

But I haven't BSed about a single thing

NoRemorse
05-18-09, 10:39 AM
USMCMSF is a Lance Corporal, not a PFC. Your goals are admirable; your methods are questionable.

What are your rest cycles? What are you eating? What else are you doing for recovery?

Draco771
05-18-09, 10:51 AM
USMCMSF is a Lance Corporal, not a PFC. Your goals are admirable; your methods are questionable.

What are your rest cycles? What are you eating? What else are you doing for recovery?

I fixed it a few moments ago, I forgot Army is E3=Private First Class, and Marine Corps E3=Lance Corporal. My apologies.

Me personally, my diet is somewhat limited to whatever food I have available in my home. I prefer to keep to veggies/fruits as much as possible with meats here and there. But either way I'm limited to what's around.

My current routine (NOT going to include Body Conditioning in this, because I don't consider a PE class to be a workout. Respectfully.)

Mon, Wed, Fri, wake up at 0400, pick up my buddy, workout at the Gym from 0500-0630 Then workout again from 1700-1900.

Tue, Thur, Fri. Take it easy for the day, but Tue and Thur after school I set up some running times, then in the evenings from 1800-2100 swim at a nearby HSs (in a neighboring town) swimming pool. Going to to time myself for the 500Meter swim, (my last 500 meter was 9:58, I"m a very very very good swimmer, but still have great amounts of room to improve)

Did the Army Conditioning Drill stuff today, and later tonight, I'll be doing the Daily 16, and push myself through 200 push-ups.

Tomorrow I'll start off with Army PT booklet, do my hill run. (Up and down a hill that's a block away) and then do the USMC Daily 16.

Next week I'll switch it up, and make the Daily 16 first, with Army PT last, etc. in an attempt to keep my body confused.

For rest, I keep Sunday as a mild day.

And thank you for the correction on Rank.

NoRemorse
05-18-09, 10:57 AM
If you're not including your PE class then you're wrong. If it's that light compared to what you do on a regular basis than it's Active Recovery, isn't it?

As for doubters on here, you could always post videos of yourself running through parts of your routines or at least hitting Personal records. Make this a game and a goal.

Also... hitting the gym is not a description of what you're doing. Hitting the gym for x number of hours and working with this weight on this movement for this time/reps is a description.

It's not for you to post up here; it's for you to effectively keep a journal. If you're not logging your tut, time of day, meals eaten, type of food eaten, etc... then how will you know what's working and what isn't?

If you have a feel for it that's one thing, and a rare thing at that. You want results, start logging your activities; sleeping, eating, working out, rest, recovery; get some, posthaste!

usmcmsf
05-19-09, 12:47 AM
Well said NoRemorse.