PDA

View Full Version : The Next Generation

Jingo
05-04-09, 02:43 PM
:usmc: Good Day All,

Well today I became a very proud and nervous dad. My son let me know around noon today he was sworn into the United States Marine Corps. I know what it's like to be a Marine, but a parent of a Marine is a whole new world. So any advice to keep me sane and to help him in his journey would very much be appreciated. :yes:

"When the bad guys are coming and the bullets are flying, it's to late to get ready" Unknown Marine Corps Officer :iwo:

dono
05-04-09, 07:11 PM
All I did was try to write a letter a day. He seemed to appreciate getting them. If I did not have anything much to say, I would print off things from the internet that I thought he would be interested in.

I also tried to get my family to write as well. I have a website and I set up a separate (and password protected) page where I posted what news I had during recruit training.

And I posted a LOT on this board.

marinemama
05-05-09, 12:23 PM
Congrats to you Dad! How exciting for you to have your son follow in your footsteps, or should I say footprints...lol lol

I also wrote to my two each and every single day. They got soooo much mail. I know it helped them tons. So much stress on them to learn and adapt, that even the smallest glimpse of home was appreciated. I sent cards that said how important they were, but I always made sure I exchanged any colored envelopes for a white one.

My best to your son and to you...I can't wait to see the pics from his graduation with you standing by his side.

jack246
05-05-09, 12:48 PM
Dear Sir, First and foremost,congradulations on your sons enlistment.I wish him the best of luck in bootcamp and with any future deployments.Secondly,it sounds like to me that your son felt the desire to follow in his dads footsteps.It is important to just open up a dialogue with him and support him 100%.As far as your sanity goes,well,you now join the ranks of us other dads that have their sons in potential dangerous situations. Whether it is Military or Police you never really stop worrying you just have to keep the faith as they say.I have been a Deputy for 24 years,and my oldest is a Sgt. on a police dept.My other son,Josh,is a lance corp.,and just got back from Iraq a few months ago.One thing I can tell you for sure,You will never appreciate your son more while he is gone,and when he gets back,just because of the nature of their job (duty).We always tend to brace ourselves for the worst every day.And that is something other parents dont have to do or think about because their son may have an inside insurance job or construction job.
You and I both know how fast things can go South.We have to trust that their training and knowledge takes them through it ok.Iwrote a poem about Josh and our conversation when he joined. A Marine is born. If you have time you can look it up on the forum. Again, good luck to both of you and God Bless. Jack246

cantonmark
05-05-09, 12:59 PM
Congratulations to your son and good luck to you. Proud now, wait until you see your son on the Parade Deck Graduation Day. Mine is a young PFC and I couldn't be prouder. I wrote letters everyday and he said they made the trip better. My son was in DEP for almost a year and the Recruiters did a great job getting them physically prepared. Stand behind him and support him.

Jingo
05-05-09, 07:10 PM
Thank you all for your support and advice it's very much appreciated and needed, and the best to your loved ones.

"Blood is thicker than water, and the blood that binds Marines is the thickest of all"

SGT7477
05-05-09, 07:38 PM
As a SSGT Of Marines you will do fine, Semper FI.