PDA

View Full Version : Agw Waviers?

Teak
05-04-09, 12:10 AM
I have a question. Would it be hard to get a wavier if you are 30? The reason I am asking is because I am 29 and a single mother( I am in the process of giving my child to my mother) and I know you have to wait a year after you sign over custody. After I wait the year I a will be 30.

0231Marine
05-04-09, 07:21 AM
It's pretty personal but you put it out there so be prepared to answer the questions.

Why are you willing to give up your child? Don't you think there are better options as a single parent?

TJR1070
05-04-09, 07:45 AM
I would think that the first test of a persons character would be if they could take care of the children they created. I think your child will need you alot more than you would need the Marine Corps. We never leave a Marine behind, let alone our children.

KawiGunny
05-04-09, 07:54 AM
I would think that the first test of a persons character would be if they could take care of the children they created. I think your child will need you alot more than you would need the Marine Corps. We never leave a Marine behind, let alone our children.

I agree. This thread is going to get really interesting soon.

Why would you want to give up your child and why would you want to be a Marine at your age? I am sure there are plenty of reasons for "signing" your child over to your mother but since you threw it out there you might want to explain.

Marine84
05-04-09, 07:56 AM
That's one thing you boneheads don't know about. (Unless it's changed) Single Mom's coming in the Corps have to give custody to someone else. Doesn't matter who takes care of the child, she'll always be the child's Mother.

KawiGunny
05-04-09, 08:09 AM
That's one thing you boneheads don't know about. (Unless it's changed) Single Mom's coming in the Corps have to give custody to someone else. Doesn't matter who takes care of the child, she'll always be the child's Mother.

This is true but we would like to know what her reason is for doing this. May be just as simple as you descibed but then again, "inquiring minds want to know".

Teak
05-04-09, 08:10 AM
I wouldn't be leaving her behind. I will be back. I will only be giving up temporary custody. My mother lives with my daughter and I. I have tried college became an EMT, but I want something more. I am wanting to join the Reserves. My daughter is six and knows what I want to do. She also knows that I will be gone for awhile. I have been wanting to become a Marine for a long time now. I have also talking to my family about this, and there are a few that were in the service (Marines, Navy & Army) they understand fully why I would want to do this. Trust me this is no way an attempt to run from my child or to wash my hands of her. And being a single mother there are bills that need to be paid and having a child that is ADHD, ODD the medicine can cost you big. I am just trying to insure that my daughter is taking care of.

0231Marine
05-04-09, 08:30 AM
Thanks for explaining.

Now that you've painted a more complete picture, I can understand your reasoning for doing this. Personally, I think that if you have the family support base that you're describing and your intention is to make a better life for your family, then I don't see anything wrong with it. You don't come across as someone that is irresponsible or wanting to do something for yourself rather than your daughter. I imagine the best thing for you would be to sit down with a recruiter and get all of your facts straight from him/her so you'll know what kind of waivers/paperwork you'll need to make this happen.

Either way, I wish you luck with your decision.

Teak
05-04-09, 08:38 AM
No problem I understand why you are asking. I dont mind explaning to help people understand my question. I know I left it open.

TJR1070
05-04-09, 08:38 AM
I could understand why you have to give custody to someone while you are in training. I just don't understand why the reserves would help your position in life. You will be getting paid for your reserve weekends and two weeks active duty but that would leave you with additional child care issues. If you are an EMT and have some college you could look into paramedic, respiratory therapist, nurse, ER Tech and a host of other jobs inside the medical profession that would be more lucrative than EMT plus Marine reservist. In-hospital jobs also offer rotating shifts to help with child care. Just my two cents, I understand your need to provide for your family but deployments (lengthy seperations) and other issues should be included in your desicion making process. The military is a hard place to raise a family especially a single parent, active duty might make it a little easier while in garrison.

jcarter73
05-04-09, 08:40 AM
Teak... the age limit for entrance into the Marine Corps is 35... so you will not need a waiver for age. I can't speak for any other waivers you will require, but your good to go on the age front.

best of luck

Teak
05-04-09, 08:46 AM
I will be contacting my recruiter again today to set up a time where I can go in and talk to him face to face so there are no misunderstandings. As far as going inot a job in the hospital. I have done the EMT things and while I like it, it is not what I want I love my current job which is a Correctional Officer. If I was to join the prison would give me time off to go into boot,MCT and to do my MOS training. With this field of work if you have military training the better off you are and more chances you have.

Teak
05-04-09, 08:48 AM
jcarter Thank you for that helpful info. Now I can talk to the recruiter and have a little more info this time when I talk to him. Again Thank you.

KawiGunny
05-04-09, 08:51 AM
Thanks for taking the time to give more details and I understand your point of view. As mentioned though, you have to keep in mind that you could be called up for active duty and even deploy. Things you might want to ask yourself are 1) Is your mother more than capable of taking care of your child for 9 months or longer on her own if you get called up and deployed? 2) Does your mother work and if so, are there any issues with her taking care of your child for several months and not causing issues with her work? I am sure you and your mother have covered these topics probably more than once. Being a single parent is hard enough without the Marine Corps throwing extra things in the fire. Talk to a local recruiter, as mentioned, and see what they have to say and what they can do for you. Best of luck with whatever decission you make.

Teak
05-04-09, 09:04 AM
Yes Sir we have talked about this. My mother will not be the only one taking care of her. We have friends all over town who said they would help. Plus I have and older sister that could help if need be. I has also thought about me having to deploy. My mother and daughter are aware of the fact that I might be gone for months at a time. My daughter is happy that I want to do this.

Wyoming
05-04-09, 09:37 AM
1) Where is the father and how much help is he providing?

2) Already an EMT, why not go the Navy Corpsman route?

3) Your daughter is happy ..... ? As you wrote, she is 'a child that is ADHD, ODD'. She's six! How much can she understand?

Paint me the bad guy here, but I am missing the point as to why you want to join the Marines.

Teak
05-04-09, 10:20 AM
Ok to answer your questions
1. The father is not in her life has not been in her life.
2. I don't want to join the Navy, I do not want to work EMT for the rest of my life I am a correctional Officer and that is what I love doing.
3. As for my daughter she knows a lot don't count her out because she is ADHD, she is a very bright child. She is also in the gifted and talented classes and she is just in Kindergarden.
4. I want to join the Marine Corps to give my daughter a better life.
Sorry if I seem rude but I am mamma bear and you are messing with my cub!

KawiGunny
05-04-09, 12:15 PM
BigAl.... ADHD isn't some sort of mental disease that prevents a child from learning or comprehending. Yes six is a little young to get the full effects of what might happen. My son has ADHD and is actually one of the smarter kids in his class. He is 11. Has always makes Honor Role and is in 3 advanced classes at school. He is a good baseball player and will probably make the Allstars this year as the catcher and he plays the Viola on top of that. He has made All City the past two years for playing the Viola. So ADHD doesn't really come in to play with a childs mentality as far as learning or understanding.

thewookie
05-04-09, 12:53 PM

I'm not judging anything here but that was well said.

PaidinBlood
05-04-09, 05:36 PM
Ok to answer your questions

Sorry if I seem rude but I am mamma bear and you are messing with my cub!

If you already know it all, don't come asking. I would hope if you were a guest in my house you wouldn't be so quick to shoot off at the mouth. Nobody's picking on your kid-just examining your words. All too many hopefuls come in here expecting a simple yes or no (usually a yes) and get all fired up when they actually get more questions from inquiring minds, who incidentally have been there and done that. Good luck to you in whatever you pursue.

Teak
05-04-09, 06:12 PM
I am not saying that I know it all. Nor do I mind answering questions, I was just simpley letting him know how my daughter at the age of six and who has ADHD would understand. I just re-read my post and to me it don't seem like I was rude or shot off at the mouth. If your child had ADHD you would know that many not all, but a vast amount have preconceived notions of what a child with ADHD is like. She is very bright and does understand if you can catch her and keep her still long enuf to explain. I just put the last part in because I knew my post would rub someone the wrong way so I said sorry.

TJR1070
05-05-09, 09:11 AM
Teak,

It is obvious that you work hard to provide for your daughter and from your defensive responses I wouldn't question your love for her. However wouldn't it be more reasonable with your situation to find a second job that would keep you near your family and provide the additional financial security you are looking for? The military is a difficult place to try and raise a family especially with the spector of multiple deployments. The reserve unit near me just got back from a year in Iraq and that was their second deployment in three years. Potentially in your first enlistement you could be deployed more than once, are you really prepared to be away from your daughter that much?

Wyoming
05-05-09, 09:32 AM
My feelings aren't hurt.

I understand ADHD. My GD has it and is hard to get to sit still, BUT, she is one BRIGHT young thing.

SO, you want to be a correctional officer, for life. OK. Is that some sort of power trip for you?

You are trained EMT. Get your RN. The demand is so great today that it boggles me mind. My widowed daughter is a Nurse, writes her own schedule and makes a ton of money.

As far as being in the reserves go, good for you, but you better check REAL close, those folks deploy and don't get to take their kids with them.

... and, your business, but -
1. The father is not in her life has not been in her life.- their is a ton of financial assistance along with benefits that you are giving up.

Teak
05-05-09, 04:20 PM
SO, you want to be a correctional officer, for life. OK. Is that some sort of power trip for you?

You are trained EMT. Get your RN. The demand is so great today that it boggles me mind. My widowed daughter is a Nurse, writes her own schedule and makes a ton of money.

As far as being in the reserves go, good for you, but you better check REAL close, those folks deploy and don't get to take their kids with them.

... and, your business, but -- their is a ton of financial assistance along with benefits that you are giving up.
Why do you think me being a correctional officer is a power trip. If I were a cop would you think I was on a power trip then? It is your mind set not your job title that gives you a power trip. And as for me being a EMT I have been there done that and it is not my cup of tea. I do not want to be in the medical field at all as an EMT or RN. As an EMT you sit on your butt until something happens and sometimes nothing happens same as for the RN I know this because I have done clinicals in the hospitals. As a correctional officer it is not the SSDD.You are on your feet for the full 12 hr shift and thats one of the reasons I like it cause I have sitting on my butt. And as the father thing goes I know there is finacial assistance but the government didnt have her I did so I will not take government hand outs. I know a few families that both parents are in the military and the mother is called up to deploy what happens? The samething that will happen with my daughter she will be home safe and getting taken care of by someone that loves her. You see you and many other have given me this freedom to speak my mind and to do as I want. For that I Thank You. But it is my turn to that for my child and for my future grandchildren.

Marine84
05-05-09, 08:46 PM
Sounds like she has more of a plan than most do coming through here.

It's going to be twice as hard for you girl. If you think you got it in you - go for it!

semperfi170
05-05-09, 09:25 PM
I agree with Kim, her statements show that she has thought this out and has planned out what she wants to do with her life.

JWDevilDog
05-06-09, 03:02 AM
Personally, I agree with the other Marines here, that it is going to be difficult for you as a Marine with your daughter.

However, I applaud what you want to do, and all of your reasoning behind it. I think if you want to make a better life for your daughter, and you want to serve this wonderful country that made it all possible for you, then more power to you.

I think we all applaud your thinking, actually. I just think that none of the Marines on this site want you to be disillusioned about anything. We just want you to be prepared, and we want to know that you know exactly what you are getting into. Which, by the sounds of it, you do.

Good luck.

MARINECID
05-06-09, 06:44 AM
You will need an age waiver contrary to other posts on here. You have to be in boot camp prior to your 29th B-Day. If you are above the age of 28 going to boot camp you WILL need an age waiver. FYI to everyone, the manual states that a single parent must give up custody and wait one year prior to enlistment.

KawiGunny
05-06-09, 07:46 AM
I think we all applaud your thinking, actually. I just think that none of the Marines on this site want you to be disillusioned about anything. We just want you to be prepared, and we want to know that you know exactly what you are getting into. Which, by the sounds of it, you do.

Good luck.

I agree with this. Doesn't matter who it is, everyone here is just making sure that you fully understand what you are/might be up against. I think you have the right frame of mind just make sure that you are in decent shape going to boot camp. You will be training with kids almost young enough to be your own. I have seen this before and they have always come through with a little more hard work than the rest. Keep us posted after you talk to a recruiter and good luck. With your mentallity, I would like to be able to call you my sister someday.

Teak
05-06-09, 08:29 AM
Oh no I know it is going to be hard I have 5 or 6 Mairnes here that are telling whats goin to happen and waht to do and not to do. I have watched almost everything Marine. Making Marines the documentary that show recruits at boot. Luckly I have the year long wait to join to I can build on my push-ups, sit-ups and shave off some time on my run. I have only been working on these for a month and a half and I must say I am not doing to bad. I know it is going to be hard but, what in life that is worth it isn't? And thank you for all of your input.

GySgtRet
05-06-09, 08:47 AM
Sometimes I just watch as a posting deveopes. I didn't know that the age limit was 35 that is excellent for you. I admire your attitude, cantor, and dedication to your daughter. I say go for it. As you have stated the good things in life are hard earned and are worth it. Please keep us posted as this devlops.

Gunny out
:usmc: