PDA

View Full Version : Father passes aircrew wings marking decades of family service

thedrifter
05-01-09, 07:22 AM
Father passes aircrew wings marking decades of family service
Lance Cpl. Jeffrey Cordero

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION FUTENMA, Okinawa (May 1, 2009) -- As he stood in front of the formation waiting to receive his air crew wings, Lance Cpl. Paul A. Millis would have never guessed who was about to pin them on.

As Millis' instructor asked him who he wanted to perform the ceremonial act, Millis's father, a retired Navy chief petty officer and aircrewman, seemingly appeared from nowhere and stood before his son.

"I didn't even notice my dad going by me," said Millis later. "I felt like I was going to have a heart attack."

Millis, at the position of attention, could do little more than crack a smile as his father, Mark Millis, reached to his own chest, took off his wings and placed a symbol of more than 100 years of family military devotion over his son's heart.

The passing of the wings signified the young Marine's completion of months of training to become an aircrewman for Marine Aerial Refueler Transportation Squadron 152, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing. It also represented a family commitment to the military; a legacy Paul is proud to carry on.

Mark Millis, who works at the Naval Air Warfare Center in Richcrest, Calif., kept in contact with his son throughout the training. When he learned of his son's graduation date, the senior Millis started secretly planning to be there.

"I could only imagine the look on his face," Mark said. "I came here specifically for this moment."

Anyone who knows the Millis family would likely not be surprised by the stunt.

Mark describes his family as one with deep roots in the military and whose members will go out of their way to be there for each other. When corresponding with members of his son's unit to plan the trip, Mark stated he would do "whatever it takes," to be at the pinning ceremony.

"We have always supported each other family wise," he said.

The junior Millis remembers when he was around 12-years-old, his father took him to see his older brother, Mathew Millis, former Navy 2nd class petty officer, return from his first Navy cruise. Mathew was an engineer for a Navy amphibious landing craft.

More recently, when Paul was at the military entrance processing station in Los Angeles, his father, brother, grandfather and uncle all showed up in uniform for his swearing in. Paul's grandfather, retired Marine Corps Capt. Dick A. Millis, performed the ceremony.

Paul's uncle is retired Marine Corps Gunnery Sgt. Red Millis.

Paul's grandfather and uncle live in Arkansas where they own and operate the Marine Corps Legacy Museum in Harrison.

"My dad and brother built it up through their own efforts," Mark said.

Paul's great grandfather was also in the Navy, though he is not sure what he did or how long he served.

Though the Millis family boasts a strong military background, Paul said he was never pushed to join. His father agreed.

"We never told Paul he had to join the military," Mark said. "We supported him in everything that he did, regardless of what it was."

Mark said even though they did not push Paul to enlist, he knew influence was all around him.

"My brother (Red) knew he was going to join the Marine Corps from age 13, so I thought Paul would be the same way," Mark said.

He was partially right. Paul decided to join sometime in high school.

"I just think it's the right thing to do," Paul said.

Even though it may seem like a simple ceremony to some, to the Millis family, it is another chapter in their legacy and commitment to military and to country.

"These moments are part of the legacies and traditions," Mark said. "I definitely wouldn't miss it for the world."

Ellie