PDA

View Full Version : Rugby in the Marines

scrummy9
04-30-09, 08:43 PM
I am a scrum half for my high school rugby team and I want to keep on with it for hopefully the majority of my life. Do the Marines have a team? How do you get on the team?

thewookie
04-30-09, 08:59 PM
How do you get on the team?

You try out, silly.

We have it all, rugby, water polo, crochet, badminton, tic tac toe, bocce and horseshoe teams.

scrummy9
04-30-09, 09:00 PM
croche? tic tac toe?

haha im sorry but thats kinda unordinary

scrummy9
04-30-09, 09:02 PM
ok well how do you go about trying out for the team?:nerd:

thedrifter
05-01-09, 08:11 AM
The main idea here is to First to Earn the Title of becoming a Marine...

So reading, listening and learning are the main factor of this site...;)

Old Marine
05-01-09, 09:58 AM
You will have lots of time for scrums while attending Boot Camp.

scrummy9
05-01-09, 10:09 AM
really? there is time during BT?

Nice. Well I can't wait to tryout for the team in about a year and a half. I was looking at the standings for the Military championship. And the Marines didn't fare too well. You would think they have a decent team considering how fit everyone must be? Am i wrong?

temarti
05-01-09, 11:05 AM
Nice. Well I can't wait to tryout for the team in about a year and a half. I was looking at the standings for the Military championship. And the Marines didn't fare too well. You would think they have a decent team considering how fit everyone must be? Am i wrong?

That is why our Tic Tac Toe team is Kick Azz, the Marines are smarter than you think.... The tryouts are hard though, too many "cat's eyes" will DQ you.

Sorry the door was open :beer:

0231Marine
05-01-09, 11:07 AM
What you need to consider is that the nation is at war and a majority of our forces are deployed at one time or another making it difficult to field a team of the best available.

I was a pretty decent baseball player (2nd team all state in Florida in high school with several scholorship offers) and when I enlisted, I really wanted to play for the Marine Corps team. I deployed every year I was in and never got the opportunity to try-out, even though I probably would have made it easily.

Don't enlist with the idea that you're going to be allowed to try out for the team because the needs of the Marine Corps come first in everything you do. If you get sent to a unit with a high deployment rate or your MOS is mission critical, then guess what you're doing? It's not playing rugby, that's for sure.

And no, there is no rugby in bootcamp and it's not basic training...that's the Army.

scrummy9
05-01-09, 11:27 AM
Ya. I understand The Corps are first and i apoligize for the lingo barrier. I just was wondering. Thanks though. You have definetly cleared it up.

SlingerDun
05-01-09, 04:51 PM
Hellfire i'll bust your ass in the scrum halfy:cool:

thewookie
05-01-09, 04:55 PM
The beatings will continue until the moral improves - unknown

Scrummy, there will be plenty of time for kill the boot with the ball once you earn the title. Don't wuss out and be a sally, good luck.

JoeInVille
05-01-09, 05:19 PM
I say we worry about fighting a war rather than playing dumb ass sports. What is the purpose of the Marine Corps having spots teams?

thewookie
05-01-09, 05:27 PM
I say we worry about fighting a war rather than playing dumb ass sports. What is the purpose of the Marine Corps having spots teams?

Joe - the spots team clean up all the spots. Don't you get it.:)

SSgt Ramsey
05-06-09, 10:58 AM
My old Bn CO from 2d TSB, Colonel DeStafney, was a big rugby fan and player. He's retired now, but he is/was on some Board of Directors on US Rugby.

He had a bumper-sticker that said "Give Blood, Play Rugby" lol...

Col DeStafney was a great guy, great Colonel, and a smart commander.

ggyoung
05-06-09, 12:29 PM
Jock-strapping in the Marines can be great fun. Seen a Cpl. get promoted to Sgt. for being on the 1st Marine Brigade basketball team in 1964. He was very good.