PDA

View Full Version : In a little bit of Debt...

dpd951
04-28-09, 02:46 PM
I have a weird question. I went to college for a year and a half and have about 7-8k worth of debt in my name and about 7-8 k more under my name with my mom as a cosigner (so I guess you can consider it under her name too). I already was sworn in at MEPS and leave for MCRDPI in August. I read that one disqualifying reason for the military is debt. Would this effect me at all? My loans are in a grace period from now until June/July. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not too worried because I figured this would have been found out when they did all those checks for the FBI.

-Dan

Chumley
04-28-09, 03:25 PM
I have a weird question. I went to college for a year and a half and have about 7-8k worth of debt in my name and about 7-8 k more under my name with my mom as a cosigner (so I guess you can consider it under her name too). I already was sworn in at MEPS and leave for MCRDPI in August. I read that one disqualifying reason for the military is debt. Would this effect me at all? My loans are in a grace period from now until June/July. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not too worried because I figured this would have been found out when they did all those checks for the FBI.

-Dan

Talk to your Recruiter. If you are DQ'ed, you can square away your situation and then, maybe re-apply down the road. Sounding a bit like your weren't fully upfront with your recruiter already...if that's the case, you'd better stand-by.

dpd951
04-28-09, 10:53 PM
I told the recruiter everything. I remember saying I wanted to wait a year before enlisting to pay off loans and then he said I could leave in August so I signed. I guess I will bring it up next time I see him. Just wasn't sure if anyone had any experience with this.

BR34
04-28-09, 10:56 PM
You can join the military with debts. I think it's quite normal, unless you live under a rock. Or are you saying you have debts that you aren't paying on anymore?

The amount of money you owe to creditors will also effect your chances of getting a security clearance once you're in the fleet.