PDA

View Full Version : Newsmaker of the day: Norwich native returns after seven months in Iraq with Marine C

thedrifter
04-27-09, 08:22 AM
Newsmaker of the day: Norwich native returns after seven months in Iraq with Marine Corps Reserve

Norwich Bulletin
Posted Apr 26, 2009 @ 11:18 PM

In the news: Lance Cpl. Brad Roberts, 21, recently returned from seven months in Iraq as a member of the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve.

Background: A Norwich native, Roberts is the son of Margaret and Barry Roberts of Norwich. He has a brother, Travis. He graduated from Norwich Free Academy in 2006, and hopes to enter the University of Connecticut in the fall, majoring in psychology.

Charlie Company: Roberts serves with C Company of the 1st Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, an infantry unit whose duties in Iraq included manning checkpoints and security patrols.

“Every Marine is a rifleman”: His billet was as a rifleman and team leader.

Homecoming: “I’m going through demobilization right now. But we have the weekend off. I’m spending a lot of that with my girlfriend.”
Mail call: “I like getting magazines, personal hygiene items. It’s nice to get letters from home and to write back.”

Honors and awards: Roberts earned the Marine Sea Service Deployment Medal, the Marine Reserve Mobilization Medal, the Iraq Campaign Medal, the Global War on Terrorism Medal and the National Defense Medal.

Food he missed: “Spaghetti... real spaghetti.”
Quotable: “I think it’s important to remember that we still have a lot of Marines and (military) personnel in Iraq. I know it’s not publicized as much as it used to be, but I don’t think those still over there get enough credit.”

Ellie