PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Record?

Ivan008
04-26-09, 05:56 AM
I've read a few things on these forums about people with priors etc. and what I got from it was nothing is guaranteed but it's worth a shot, I want more than anything to be a Marine my friend and I went in to the recruiting office Friday wanting the same MOS 0656 and made similar ASVAB scores (or pretest scores) I made a 73, he an 82, but heres the hangup,

when I was 12 I ****** up royally and I know I did, and have changed and grown up and never gotten in trouble since unless you count minor speed violations. I've Graduated HS, Just finished my first year of college, Gotten my Eagle Scout, Am active in church running electronics/video etc. completely turned my life around.

When I was 12 I was the lookout for some friends of mine at the time who broke into a concession stand and thus received a Class B Felony, this was almost 8 years ago. due to it being a juvenile case, its length, etc.

so my question is this, is their a shot at me getting in? I'm hoping to leave for MCRD around August. I'm to call my recruiter Monday and after he gets my record back from the Court, so we can talk about my options. I'm wanting to go in their as prepared as possible.

I was also told given the time and since it's already sealed they may be able to reduce it to a misdemeanor? does that hold any truth to it at all?

also if a waiver is required which i'm guessing will be, what has a bigger impact? a Church Leader? Principal? Superintendent? Judge? Police Officer? Former Marines? Ex-military? Deans/Professors? I'm friends with all of them and all have said they would give me a great recommendation if need be.

Thanks in advance.

Quinbo
04-26-09, 06:15 AM
Can't hurt to try. This is something you need to discuss with your recruiter.

I am curious what service project you chose to attain eagle scout?

Ivan008
04-26-09, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the reply, I am really hoping they'll give me a waiver my recruiter seemed confident, but i'm just kind of a worrier I guess.

I gave out over 500 Fire Detectors, Countless 9V batteries and Instruction Manuals outside of Brookshires grocery company the weekend before the time change made possible by Kidde Smoke Detectors and Energizer, State Farm, and Farmer's Insurance. and offered free in house installation for the elderly and those unsure of how to do so.

Petz
04-26-09, 08:48 AM
there is a 9 month waiting list as the Marine Corps is only 900 Marines away from end strength... you'll basically have to wait for Marines to EAS.

so yeah... august is a no go unless you join the reserves which are short handed... they get preference on shipping earlier.

Ivan008
04-26-09, 09:03 AM
I was under the impression that they were growing the size to 202K by the end of 2011? **** a 9 month waiting list......and those without a record I'm sure would go first.... well hell I was wanting active service but if those are my only 2 options the reserves will be just fine for now.

Petz
04-26-09, 09:24 AM
I don't know about your record being an issue... I think anything over 3 misdemenors are a no go and one felony... I think.

and we are at that 202 k end-strength already... two years ahead of schedule.

keep in mind, you can join the reserves then augment to active duty afterwards.

Ivan008
04-28-09, 11:40 AM
awesome well my recruiter called me yesterday and said he talked to my old PO and that it was indeed sealed so that looks good, I actually need to call him now, I guess my other question would be my MOS says I need "Secret" Clearance is that going to be a problem or moreso than my joining?

thanks again guys.

Petz
04-28-09, 11:53 AM
you should wait until you get options from your recruiter before you go worrying about a secret clearance.