PDA

View Full Version : Will I be ready?

abailey
04-21-09, 08:50 AM
I ship in 35 days and have been semi training for a few months, I pass the IST with 5 pull ups, 10:22 1 1/2 mile run, 78 crunches in 2 mintues. I know is pretty crappy but it's passing so far.

This Thursday is my last day at work. I quit so I can start training throughout the day. Basically will 35 days be enough to get in proper shape beyond my IST scores? I am 6'2 1/2'' 175lbs if that is relevant at all...

-abailey

0231Marine
04-21-09, 08:54 AM
According to the chart for the Marine Corps, with those numbers, you have a 79% chance of being ready for bootcamp.

abailey
04-21-09, 09:01 AM
Well damn...

Is 35 days enough to significantly increase that percentage?

bekster2008
04-21-09, 09:09 AM
Look, no matter what your IST scores or whatever you won't ever be FULLY prepared, the mental part is very difficult so I have heard. Many people have written on here that the PT part of boot camp isn't even the worst, I leave on Monday and my IST is nowhere near perfect besides my flex arm hang, so I am making up for that with knowing the general orders, rank structure, history, 14 leadership traits etc...you want to be prepared for boot camp? Read that booklet they give you for entering the DEP and look around this site at all the other tips.

Your IST seems fine, we had a guy leave who could do 44 crunches going in, 3 pull ups, and a 12 minute run time...he is graduating this friday. So if you feel like you can do it, then you can....most of it is mental.

abailey
04-21-09, 09:16 AM
Thanks bekster. I do read my knowledge, and I know I can't fully be prepared for the mental part and everything. I just don't want to struggle physically. Know what I mean?

NoRemorse
04-21-09, 09:19 AM
According to the chart for the Marine Corps, with those numbers, you have a 79% chance of being ready for bootcamp.

Do those charts account for Black Flag days now?

TJR1070
04-21-09, 10:34 AM
Do your best to improve what you can before you leave, make sure you rest and enjoy the time you have with family and friends. Preparation is good, Motivation is even better!

MLMonk
04-21-09, 10:37 AM
If you bring your situps to 100 that percentage will go to 91% chance.

SupChf
04-21-09, 10:37 AM
Bottom line...the question "Will I be Ready" can only be answered by YOU!!!

The physical side of Boot Camp is only 50% of the challenge.

Gunz out ~

chrizzle17
04-21-09, 10:44 AM
Well, I am doing 7 or 8 pullups, 72 crunches, and i have just accomplished my goal of passing the run part of the ist with 13:29. i have busted my ass to get to 13:29 from where i was. Try telling me Im not ready to go, and i may agree with you. I leave in six days. However try telling me Im going to fail, and I will prove you wrong. Its not about being 100 percent ready, no one ever is. I WILL NOT FAIL. Will the physical part be a little harder for me than others? Probably. Will I let that stop me. Hell no! Theres a minimum for a reason. Its so that you can get there and improve. I have goals to reach in boot camp, and I will make it.

bekster2008
04-21-09, 10:52 AM
I got this from a friend who got it from a website lol:

Instructional Time (The Crucible / Combat Water Survival / Weapons and Field Training): 279.5 hours
Core Values/Academics/Values Reinforcement: 41.5
Physical Fitness: 59
Close Order Drill: 54.5
Field Training: 31
Close Combat Training: 27
Conditioning Marches: 13
Administration: 60
Senior DI Time (nightly free time): 55.5
Movement Time: 60
Sleep: 479
Basic Daily Routine: 210
Chow: 179
Total: 1518 hours

So, I don't know how accurate it is, but you think you can handle that?

0231Marine
04-21-09, 11:16 AM
I got this from a friend who got it from a website lol:

Instructional Time (The Crucible / Combat Water Survival / Weapons and Field Training): 279.5 hours
Core Values/Academics/Values Reinforcement: 41.5
Physical Fitness: 59
Close Order Drill: 54.5
Field Training: 31
Close Combat Training: 27
Conditioning Marches: 13
Administration: 60
Senior DI Time (nightly free time): 55.5
Movement Time: 60
Sleep: 479
Basic Daily Routine: 210
Chow: 179
Total: 1518 hours

So, I don't know how accurate it is, but you think you can handle that?

Yeah right!

bekster2008
04-21-09, 11:36 AM
Yeah right!

Haha, yeah that was a number that stood out to me also, and the basic daily routine, but then I suppose 8 hours of sleep and 78 training days, that actually calculates to 632 hours but due to lack of sleep in the crucible and receiving, firewatch...etc. I guess they put it as 479 hours

I do want to know what they mean by basic daily routine...perhaps quarterdecks and cleaning?

abailey
04-21-09, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the input guys!

Second question...I went to the MCRDSD website and saw the latest graduating Marines and saw that it showed a guy as HIGH SHOOTER (335). What does that mean besides he got a great shooting score?

Does he get some kind of extra medal or anything out of boot or is that just basically recognizing him?

0231Marine
04-21-09, 01:15 PM
They're just recognizing him. He doesn't get anything special. We're not the Army where you get 14 ribbons when you graduate. He'll just have the Expert Rifle Badge, same as anyone else that shot over 220.

His score will count towards his promotion to Cpl though it won't give him that much more than the rest.

0231Marine
04-21-09, 01:19 PM
I do want to know what they mean by basic daily routine...perhaps quarterdecks and cleaning?

Pretty much. What ever the DI's tell you to do and it's not on the training schedule would fall into this. General clean up, field days, quarterdecking, etc...

Keep in mind that these are only guidlines and they are flexible. Your DI's will set the pace and tell you when and where you will be and for how long and doing what. If you only get 2 minutes for chow, then you've got 28 extra minutes to do something else that might not have been on the schedule before because someone fvcked up and now everyone pays.

MLMonk
04-21-09, 01:41 PM
I'll make it easier...1200hrs standing, 700hrs sleeping, 200hrs class time, 100hrs chow time. I just made a rough calculation based on the 92 days your there (Hence, 92day reservist), the 88 days or so with 8hrs a night for sleeping, they say in bootcamp your in class for 200hrs, and the rest equals about 100hrs so that's chowtime.

abailey
04-21-09, 01:57 PM
Well I just found this but it says as of 4/05

http://www.mcrdsd.usmc.mil/images/RTR/Bootcamp_Statistics.jpg

Old Marine
04-21-09, 04:16 PM
If you have to ask a question like "Will I Be Ready" the answer is NO.

abailey
04-21-09, 08:42 PM
-_- thanks for the motivation.

abailey
04-21-09, 08:46 PM
If you have to ask a question like "Will I Be Ready" the answer is NO.

And I don't agree with you. I mean ready in the physical sense according to the IST scores I posted earlier. I completely and utterly believe that I will graduate MCRDSD.

JWG
04-22-09, 11:24 AM
And I don't agree with you. I mean ready in the physical sense according to the IST scores I posted earlier. I completely and utterly believe that I will graduate MCRDSD.

Bro, I don't think he cares if you agree with him. You asked, he answered.

Just get the d@mn Title. Accept nothing less. End of story. GET SOME! :evilgrin:

NoRemorse
04-22-09, 11:26 AM
Bro, I don't think he cares if you agree with him. You asked, he answered.

Just get the d@mn Title. Accept nothing less. End of story. GET SOME! :evilgrin:

What he said :thumbup:

Actions > Words. Hit 'em and split 'em

abailey
04-22-09, 11:36 AM
What he said :thumbup:

Actions > Words. Hit 'em and split 'em

Yes sir.

NoRemorse
04-22-09, 11:43 AM
Yes sir.

I didn't sense any snap and/or pop in that reply. That and I don't have shinies on my lapels so I'm not sir until you're in Recruit Training.

Get some moto up and get on your face. To keep you motivated some of the poolees here will drop down and share the pain with you.

20 Marine Corps pushups, followed by 20 Side Straddle Hops followed by 20 Mountain Climbers should get you almost... nearly... just barely... an eensey teensey bit warmed up.

Then you can mount the bar and crank out a max set of pull ups. When you get tired just hang from the bar, turn to the side and get your legs up over the bar, touch heels and drop back to hanging... good, now repeat that 19 more times.

If you're at work or school then report in later on after you've got your mini-PT session in... because then it'll be time to run.

Rocky C
04-22-09, 11:54 AM
You'll be ready when I say your ready, you got that Poolee ???

Your READY!!!!!!!!

The Mind dictates and the Body responds.
Tell yourself your Ready.

I see Honor Grad in my Crystal Ball.

Now go get it!!!!!!

Good Luck,

Rocky

abailey
04-22-09, 12:44 PM
I didn't sense any snap and/or pop in that reply. That and I don't have shinies on my lapels so I'm not sir until you're in Recruit Training.

Get some moto up and get on your face. To keep you motivated some of the poolees here will drop down and share the pain with you.

20 Marine Corps pushups, followed by 20 Side Straddle Hops followed by 20 Mountain Climbers should get you almost... nearly... just barely... an eensey teensey bit warmed up.

Then you can mount the bar and crank out a max set of pull ups. When you get tired just hang from the bar, turn to the side and get your legs up over the bar, touch heels and drop back to hanging... good, now repeat that 19 more times.

If you're at work or school then report in later on after you've got your mini-PT session in... because then it'll be time to run.

Well sir was only a response because you outrank me...
But that sounds like a great warm-up :)

And thanks for the moto RhodeIsland

Rocky C
04-22-09, 01:09 PM
Well sir was only a response because you outrank me...
But that sounds like a great warm-up :)

And thanks for the moto RhodeIsland

And thanks for the moto RhodeIsland???
Maybe I should take back my Moto for you Poolee.

You have not earned the right to call me RhodeIsland.
Lance Corporal would be more appropriate don't you think???

If or When you earn the "TITLE" you might possibly call me Rhode Island or Rocky but looking into my crystal ball now, I just don't see it in your future.
What do you see ???

NoRemorse
04-22-09, 01:13 PM
And thanks for the moto RhodeIsland???
Maybe I should take back my Moto for you Poolee.

You have not earned the right to call me RhodeIsland.
Lance Corporal would be more appropriate don't you think???

If or When you earn the "TITLE" you might possibly call me Rhode Island or Rocky but looking into my crystal ball now, I just don't see it in your future.
What do you see ???

Your answer to the Lance Corporal's question should come in the form of blood, sweat and tears... as in how much are you willing to shed to join the elite brotherhood that is our beloved Marine Corps?

You'll hump as far as you can, push yourself to your limits, look up and still see the mountaintop before you when you've given the last of your energy in the climb; and then you'll keep going.

But you don't talk about the price of admission or what you're willing to do... you pay it.

So get on your face and pay the Lance Corporal! :evilgrin:

Rocky C
04-22-09, 01:20 PM
NoRemorse, this is just too funny my Brother. 2 Poolees in a row.
WTF ???
I'll make the Popcorn.
Extra Butter ok with you???
Semper Fi

abailey
04-22-09, 01:25 PM
Hmmm, well I was referring to your forum name because it is a forum and not face to face but...Thanks Lance Corporal

NoRemorse
04-22-09, 01:25 PM
Butter works out just fine. The cooler is unsecured. Fine day for a smoke session, brother.

It's really one of those days where I look around and say "Thank God for the Marine Corps."

Semper Fi.

Rocky C
04-22-09, 01:32 PM
Smoke Session???
Sounds Sweet!!!
Wait, let's get DocGreek in on this one :)

ps. I felt a little attitude on the Poolees last response, make it a Fatty......

NoRemorse
04-22-09, 01:36 PM
Hmmm, well I was referring to your forum name because it is a forum and not face to face but...Thanks Lance Corporal

See that right there was a missed opportunity. You could have shown some bearing and responded appropriately... Regardless of whether or not we're on the Internet, we're Marines and you are a poolee. You should already hold yourself to higher standards and should take away what you can from this thread.

Weakness isn't just pain leaving the body; it's doubt leaving the mind. While your IST numbers may be marginal, you'll get better in Boot. You'll get pushed in Boot. You'll push yourself in Boot. If you're not then you don't need to be in Boot or on the parade deck or anywhere near other Marines.

You could have also learned something more about esprit de corps. It's that wonderful intangible that brings Marines together through thick and thin and allows us to survive and overcome seemingly impossible situations.

If you take away anything then take three words with you to Boot:

Speed, Volume, Intensity.

Those will be your building blocks. The Drill Instructors will provide you with the Gospel that is Recruit Training and you will be made to learn it verbatim. You will be made stronger and faster. You will be a basically trained Marine if you care to apply the principles of Speed, Volume, and Intensity to all things you do.

There won't be a question of "Will I be ready?" It will be instead a driving passion "I will overcome" and then it will become "we will overcome". That is the essence of being a Marine.

And with that, my compassion for poolees today is exhausted.

Rocky C
04-22-09, 01:44 PM
WOWEEEE!!!
That was BEAUTIFUL.
All of a sudden I'm all tingley.

Semper Fi My Brother,

Rocky

NoRemorse
04-22-09, 01:46 PM
Semper Fi, Brother.

I'll feel that way about the Marine Corps and my fellow Marines for the rest of my days.:flag:

Rocky C
04-22-09, 01:51 PM
I'm with you all the way My Brother!!!

abailey
04-23-09, 06:16 AM
Very well said PFC, and thanks.

and to Lance Corporal RhodeIsland, sorry for if I sounded snappy or rude. Those were not my intentions.

But thanks for all the advice and everything you all have done for me. I think I speak for the rest of the poolees as well when I say that.

NoRemorse
04-23-09, 07:20 AM
Very well said PFC, and thanks.

and to Lance Corporal RhodeIsland, sorry for if I sounded snappy or rude. Those were not my intentions.

But thanks for all the advice and everything you all have done for me. I think I speak for the rest of the poolees as well when I say that.

Make sure you're in the Morning Motivational thread at least once a day when possible then. It's good to see poolees gather 'round in one place and share the moto.

Perhaps we should ask the mods to make it a sticky in the poolee forum so you guys have a centralized thread to keep it moto and positive.