PDA

View Full Version : I have a quick question

NjL86
04-19-09, 09:17 AM
Hello everyone. First off I wanna say thanks again for all your hard work and sacrafice you give for our country. Hopefully I'll be fighting along side of you fine Marines soon.

My question is concerning having a car payment while on active duty. I've used the search feature but couldn't find steal answer to whether or not I actually need a car. My friend who was in the army told me you have to have one to carry your equiptment back and forth from the field and that I would be using it more than I think. I just wanted input on this from some Marines.

Also how much do you think I would be able to afford for a car payment on military pay? I'm very good at managing my money and not blowing it on stupid things. I also won't have any other bills. I will be paying everything off before I sign. My car payment now is about 700 a month but my lease is up in about a month which is why I'm trying to get this info now. I don't wanna have something too expensive and not be able to afford it on military pay. I have a pretty good idea of what pay is but no idea of how much I will be making but no idea how much I actually will have to my pocket after expenses. I would appreciate any input anyone can give me.

I will hopefully will be in DEP by the begining of June after loosing a little weight. Can't wait to be on that bus to PI. Thanks again for everything you do.

Wyoming
04-19-09, 09:54 AM
With all due respect, there are over 14,000 threads, re; pay schedule and payments etc., while in the Marines.

... your army friend, that one made me laugh out loud.

Rocky C
04-19-09, 09:56 AM
With all due respect, there are over 14,000 threads, re; pay schedule and payments etc., while in the Marines.

... your army friend, that one made me laugh out loud.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :D

Eidal
04-19-09, 11:56 AM
I love the stories people tell...

****, our PMI had recruits convinced that the high-speed shooters would be screened for Underwater Sniper School. Told them that instead of a spotter, specially trained dolphins swam with them and used their sonar to help out. I'm not kidding, recruits bought that.

And I think it was a guy who came onto this forum a few months ago asking about MCMAP. Apparently someone told him that to progress in training, he would have to challenge someone of a higher belt and "defeat him in a duel."

Lol.

rickyracer
04-19-09, 12:15 PM
I had a car while I was at Camp Pendelton.
It sure came in handy.

GySgtRet
04-19-09, 01:39 PM
Let the lease expire. I have never heard of Marines having to carry there 782 gear to the field, we aren't the Army. We go as a unit. Your lease would probably go up anyway that is the way the auto industry has been going.

Gunny out
:usmc:

Alisium
04-19-09, 02:08 PM
Hello everyone. First off I wanna say thanks again for all your hard work and sacrafice you give for our country. Hopefully I'll be fighting along side of you fine Marines soon.

My question is concerning having a car payment while on active duty. I've used the search feature but couldn't find steal answer to whether or not I actually need a car. My friend who was in the army told me you have to have one to carry your equiptment back and forth from the field and that I would be using it more than I think. I just wanted input on this from some Marines.

Also how much do you think I would be able to afford for a car payment on military pay? I'm very good at managing my money and not blowing it on stupid things. I also won't have any other bills. I will be paying everything off before I sign. My car payment now is about 700 a month but my lease is up in about a month which is why I'm trying to get this info now. I don't wanna have something too expensive and not be able to afford it on military pay. I have a pretty good idea of what pay is but no idea of how much I will be making but no idea how much I actually will have to my pocket after expenses. I would appreciate any input anyone can give me.

I will hopefully will be in DEP by the begining of June after loosing a little weight. Can't wait to be on that bus to PI. Thanks again for everything you do.

You carry your gear to the field on your body with everyone else in your unit. It's called humping.

As far as car payments go. I reccomend against having a car, at least your first year in. For the first six months or so you'll be so busy you just won't have time (recruit training, SOI, MCT, MOS school ect). And if you need to get off base there are regular busses or taxis.

But, if you really need a car, buy one then have your payment taken out of your paycheck before it's distributed to you. It's called an allotment and the Marine Corps will actually pay the car payment before they pay you if you ask them to.

SGT7477
04-19-09, 04:21 PM

First thing don't believe them army dogs.:evilgrin:

NjL86
04-19-09, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the info Marines. I know the army isn't anything like the Marines which is why I wanted to hear from you guys. I definitly don't want to have a car if I don't need one so thanks for the clarification. This site has given me a lot of info cleared up a lot of questions Ive had. So thanks to all you Marines for taking the time to help out.

0231Marine
04-20-09, 07:06 AM
You're leasing a car for $700 a month? What are you driving, a Ferrari?