PDA

View Full Version : Navy Battle "E" Ribbon (NE)

SSgt Ramsey
04-18-09, 11:44 AM
Need some help, advice, or rules-of-engagement here and the opinions of those who may have much more knowledge than I on this topic.

I was assigned to the USS Nassau as part of 26th MEU (SOC) in 1996-1997 and was attached to Combat Cargo as Ships Platoon for the duration of the float.

My understanding, while working in that capacity of Combat Cargo for the MarDet aboard the Nassau, for all intents and purposes, I belonged to the USS Nassau for cognizance.

I have spoken with another member of this site offline whom I respect about this, and he feels also that I rate the award, but want some additional opinions.

When we returned from the float, upon doing a SRB audit at MWSS-274, the award "NE" showed up on my Pg 3 and system. I inquired what that award was, as I don't remember being told or any paper documentation that I received it. The admin clerk said that it was a Navy "E" and I was authorized to wear with my other ribbons. Cool...

So, fast forward a bunch of years when I was the MAG-14 Career Planner NCOIC, I get a e-mail from the head of the CAC that my award was going to be removed as "I didn't rate the award".

I kicked, I screamed, I groveled trying to explain to this dickhead that I was not technically "embarked" aboard the Nassau like the rest of the MEU, I was attached to the Combat Cargo section and part of the Ships Company.

My old OIC, then Capt Holland, even e-mailed this schmuck and CC'd me on the e-mail stating that I rated the award as we belonged to the ship and were a integral part of the effeciency test.

I lost the Navy E and just got sick of fighting....I had 12 Career Planners plus my own population to work, and I simply didnt' have the time to continue the fight.

Now, that I have time, and hopefully logic on my side, I am going to re-submit for the award through my old OIC who is now a Reserve LtCol to have it entered and get a DD215 reflecting the award that I feel I rate.

I pulled up the records for the USS Nassau (LHA-4) and it says 01-Jan-1997 to 31-Dec-1997 12/365 (I don't know what that means) and the recommended award was NE and the approved award was NE. So by that, I am assuming that if you served aboard the USS Nassau as Ships Platoon or permanent personnel during this time period, you rate the award. The embarked Marine's would not as they were NOT a part of the ships crew.

Your thoughts??

Pete0331
04-18-09, 01:24 PM
Your thoughts??

Yeah, who cares?
It's just a Navy participation ribbon.

SSgt Ramsey
04-18-09, 01:33 PM
It matter's because I was a part of the crew involved with getting the award, something that a lot of Marine's dont' have.

I don't have much, but I want everything I'm entitled to, just as you do with your awards.

I just found it incredible that I was awarded it, wore it, then had it taken away by a Nazi Admin-Chief....I wasn't "embarked" personnel, I was assigned to the Ship's Platoon by orders. I rate the award I feel.

Isrowei
04-18-09, 03:36 PM
Your logic sounds right to me.

And I can't imagine anyone faulting you for working for due recognition. That's kinda a dick thing to do to another Marine, eh Pete0331?

jinelson
04-18-09, 09:06 PM
Your logic sounds right to me.

And I can't imagine anyone faulting you for working for due recognition. That's kinda a dick thing to do to another Marine, eh Pete0331?

I concur with your opinion sir.

Jim