PDA

View Full Version : Short Hair in Bootcamp (females)

LittleBit
04-16-09, 08:36 AM
I've searched for this question and all I've found are questions about people putting their hair up, so I hope I didn't miss a post where this was asked...

Either way, I already have short hair but it's still long enough that it does tend to get in my face. Before I go to bootcamp I want to cut it much shorter. However, my mother is worried about the DIs jumping on my case because I wouldn't look as "feminine" as the other recruits with long hair. I told her that I think that the DIs would jump on my case regardless of my hair. So, does it matter?

0231Marine
04-16-09, 08:41 AM
No, it doesn't matter. I've spoken to my wife several times about things like this and coming from her, she recommends you cut it short so it's less maintinence and saves you time when the recruits with long hair are trying to do their buns.

As long as it's not eccentric, then you're good. And you're right, you're going to catch hell regardless of how long your hair is. The last thing the DI's are concerned about is if you look feminine. As long as you're in regs, then you're alright.

LittleBit
04-16-09, 08:58 AM
What exactly are the regs? I mean, I'm not shaving my head or anything.

0231Marine
04-16-09, 09:08 AM
That would be a good thing for you to look up and research don't you think?

Start by doing a search for Marine Corps hair regulations and go from there. Report back with what you find.

LittleBit
04-16-09, 09:17 AM
From what I found, women have to have hair longer than a quarter inch from the scalp. I think I'll be fine then.

0231Marine
04-16-09, 10:53 AM
The requirement for hair regulations is to maintain uniformity within a military population. Women's hairstyles require non-eccentric styles. Female Marines will be well groomed at all times and when in uniform will abide by the following:

Hair may touch the collar, but will not fall below the collar's lower edge. Hair that would fall naturally below the collar's lower edge will be neatly and inconspicuously fastened or pinned. During physical training periods in which physical training clothing is worn, hair will be allowed to fall naturally, without being fastened or pinned. This does not apply when conducting physical training in the utility uniform. Hair will be styled so as not to interfere with the proper wear of the uniform headgear. All headgear will fit snugly and comfortably around the largest part of the head without distortion or excessive gaps. Hairstyles which do not allow the headgear to be worn in this manner are prohibited.

Faddish and exaggerated styles to include shaved portions of the scalp other than the neckline, designs cut in the hair, unsecured ponytails and styles which are distinctly unbalanced or lopsided are prohibited. Multiple braiding is authorized. If hair extensions are used in the braiding of the hair, the extensions must have the same general appearance as the individual's natural hair. Braided hairstyles will be conservative, and conform to other guidelines listed herein.

Barrettes, combs, rubber bands, etc. are authorized, if concealed by the hair. Inconspicuous hair pins and bobby pins, if required, are authorized. Hair nets will not be worn unless authorized for a specific type of duty. Wigs, if worn in uniform, must look natural and conform to the above regulations.

Cosmetics, if worn, will be applied conservatively and will complement the individual's complexion tone. Exaggerated or faddish cosmetic styles are inappropriate with the uniform and will not be worn. If worn, nail polish and non-eccentric lipstick will harmonize with the scarlet shade used in various service and dress uniform items (i.e. scarlet cord on green service cap, scarlet trim on blue dress uniform, and scarlet background on enlisted insignia of grade), in shades of red, and may be worn with the service, blue dress, blue-white dress and evening dress uniforms. Colored nail polish will not be worn with the utility uniform. Fingernails with multiple colors and decorative ornamentation are prohibited. Nail length will be no longer than 1/4 inch from the tip of the finger.
No female Marine will be required to remove leg hair except where considered unsightly and cannot be covered with appropriate hosiery.

Zulu 36
04-16-09, 12:31 PM
My advice is to have your hair about as short as regs allow. My oldest daughter did this on my advice for Air Force basic and found it to be one of the best pieces of advice I gave her.

So, if short hair is a time saver in Air Force basic, you can bet it will be a blessing in Marine boot camp.

Marine84
04-17-09, 08:08 AM
Short is good - low maintenance. Look at my pic on my profile.

SGT7477
04-17-09, 04:01 PM
I've searched for this question and all I've found are questions about people putting their hair up, so I hope I didn't miss a post where this was asked...

Either way, I already have short hair but it's still long enough that it does tend to get in my face. Before I go to bootcamp I want to cut it much shorter. However, my mother is worried about the DIs jumping on my case because I wouldn't look as "feminine" as the other recruits with long hair. I told her that I think that the DIs would jump on my case regardless of my hair. So, does it matter?
When in doubt get a high and tight, just joking,lol.:D

Rocky C
04-17-09, 05:10 PM
When in doubt get a high and tight, just joking,lol.:D

HAHAHAHA!!!!
I was just thinking that :D

Rocky

Achped
04-18-09, 10:10 AM
Short hair? Now that's no fun....