PDA

View Full Version : Heart Problem

clark5799
04-10-09, 12:14 PM
Last year I tried to enter the Marine Corps. My waiver was rejected at MEPS because I have a heart problem. My problem has no symptoms and my doctor has told me that if he had not discovered it when I was born, he would not know it was there today.

This does not make any sense because I run three miles a day and I lift weights every single day. My problem does not prevent me from doing anything athletic (or high stress in general) at all.

Does anybody here know of anything that I can do to get in? I know that the doctors at MEPS have a lot of authority, but there are people with asthma getting into the Marines with waivers! If somebody with asthma can do it then I must be able to. Should I just keep trying again and again until they approve my waiver. Maybe I should lie about my heart problem and keep my mouth shut the rest of my career. There are no symptoms so how the hell are they going to find out?

My dream is to be a Marine. I can't just give up on it after trying once.

Thank You for your time

-Nathan-

KawiGunny
04-10-09, 12:17 PM
When you take the time to read the rules of the site and fill out your profile, someone will take the time to read your post and give you some insight.

Marine84
04-10-09, 01:48 PM
Maybe I should lie about my heart problem and keep my mouth shut the rest of my career. There are no symptoms so how the hell are they going to find out?

MCVET - sorry babe, time to pass the Bonehead Trophy on to the next one.

commdog7
04-10-09, 03:17 PM
Is it a heart murmur?

I don't think people with asthma are allowed to join... although Chesty did have asthma. Anyways, the worst thing you can do is lie about it. You don't want to start off on a bad foot nor getting discovered and being punished for fraudulent enlistment.

BR34
04-10-09, 04:09 PM
how the hell are they going to find out?

Maybe they'll order an autopsy when you drop dead?

clark5799
04-10-09, 05:18 PM
It is a murmur. It is caused by "Mitral Valve Insufficiency". This particular problem is not on the list of "non-waiverable" conditions. "Mitral Valve Prolapse" is however, but they are not the same thing.

clark5799
04-10-09, 05:20 PM
Thanks for informing me of that. I will be more observant next time.

SGT7477
04-10-09, 05:58 PM
Last year I tried to enter the Marine Corps. My waiver was rejected at MEPS because I have a heart problem. My problem has no symptoms and my doctor has told me that if he had not discovered it when I was born, he would not know it was there today.

This does not make any sense because I run three miles a day and I lift weights every single day. My problem does not prevent me from doing anything athletic (or high stress in general) at all.

Does anybody here know of anything that I can do to get in? I know that the doctors at MEPS have a lot of authority, but there are people with asthma getting into the Marines with waivers! If somebody with asthma can do it then I must be able to. Should I just keep trying again and again until they approve my waiver. Maybe I should lie about my heart problem and keep my mouth shut the rest of my career. There are no symptoms so how the hell are they going to find out?

My dream is to be a Marine. I can't just give up on it after trying once.

Thank You for your time

-Nathan-
Never lie like a rug it will get you nowhere.