PDA

View Full Version : Procedural Question about Bonuses.

Shippingsoon
04-07-09, 11:01 PM
Let's get two things straight before I complete this post:

1) I signed up for all the right reasons, and didn't even know I was getting a bonus until me recruiter had an "oh yeah, by the way" conversation with me AFTER my MOS was selected.

2) I'm also focused on the really imporant things, like preparing for boot camp (I ship in EXACTLY 2 months).

That being said, my MOS comes with a bonus. The amount is irrelevant to this question:

When does the bonus get paid? I assume it's at the end of Boot Camp, but I could be wrong. Normally, I wouldn't care less, but I'm currently enbroiled in a legal matter (nothing that will hurt my ability to be part of the USMC) that will likely generate a big legal bill by the time i'm out.

So, any info?

Regards

Alisium
04-07-09, 11:04 PM
Depends on the bonus.

Usually a regular bonus is split 50/50. The first half, probably after you complete recruit training and the second half would be further split up and divvied out in equal payments each year of service.

At least that's how RE bonuses go.

If it's a kicker for school then it won't be available until your eligible for the GIBill.

0231Marine
04-08-09, 07:18 AM
Depends on the bonus.

Usually a regular bonus is split 50/50. The first half, probably after you complete recruit training and the second half would be further split up and divvied out in equal payments each year of service.

At least that's how RE bonuses go.

If it's a kicker for school then it won't be available until your eligible for the GIBill.

I assume by RE, you mean re-enlistment bonuses? If so, then that is no longer the case. They are paid in one lump sum the following pay period after your re-enlistment package is submitted and approved. Unless you're lat moving which in that case, you have to complete the school first.

Regarding the initial question, As above, I believe it is paid out upon graduation from your MOS school because if you fail that school, then you'd be getting a bonus for an MOS you didn't complete...make sense?

KawiGunny
04-08-09, 07:52 AM
I assume by RE, you mean re-enlistment bonuses? If so, then that is no longer the case. They are paid in one lump sum the following pay period after your re-enlistment package is submitted and approved. Unless you're lat moving which in that case, you have to complete the school first.

Regarding the initial question, As above, I believe it is paid out upon graduation from your MOS school because if you fail that school, then you'd be getting a bonus for an MOS you didn't complete...make sense?

:thumbup:

Shippingsoon
04-08-09, 09:09 AM

Yes Sir, that makes perfect sense. Sorry to be "that guy" asking about bonuses, but I'm just trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row back home while I'm away.

Thanks for the replies!

SSgt Ramsey
04-08-09, 09:49 AM
Depends on the bonus.

Usually a regular bonus is split 50/50. At least that's how RE bonuses go.

As far as reenlistment bonus' go, that is incorrect...a reenlistment bonus now is paid lump-sum in one payment less applicable taxes (if any). It's been this way for several years now...with some good arguments on both sides of the fence.

The bonus' is NOT paid until the Marine reenlists for at least 48-months and after it posts in the system reflecting the new EAS and EAOS (if applicable), not when the reenlistment is approved. Many Marines will return their authorities (reenlistment) and they are returned to MMEA-6 for processing.

As far as enlistment bonus' go, I don't know...the only time I ever had to deal with that is if the Marine wasn't paid for some reason or if there was a contractual conflict which happend a few times but was resolved usually quickly.

Alisium
04-08-09, 11:00 AM
As far as reenlistment bonus' go, that is incorrect...a reenlistment bonus now is paid lump-sum in one payment less applicable taxes (if any). It's been this way for several years now...with some good arguments on both sides of the fence.

The bonus' is NOT paid until the Marine reenlists for at least 48-months and after it posts in the system reflecting the new EAS and EAOS (if applicable), not when the reenlistment is approved. Many Marines will return their authorities (reenlistment) and they are returned to MMEA-6 for processing.

As far as enlistment bonus' go, I don't know...the only time I ever had to deal with that is if the Marine wasn't paid for some reason or if there was a contractual conflict which happend a few times but was resolved usually quickly.

Thanks SSgt and 0231 for squaring me away on that.

0231Marine
04-08-09, 11:15 AM
No worries brother!

BR34
04-08-09, 11:45 AM
When you get to your first duty station you're going to do all your checking in throughout your command. They'll settle it for you then, and you should recieve it in under 2 weeks from the day you checked in. It'll be a lump sum taxed 25% Federal Flat Rate and whatever your State Flat Rate taxes are.

Lupo22
04-08-09, 08:13 PM
thats good to know...i thought it was paid out over time as well. I got a bonus too for my enlistment, even though my MOS doesn't typically have bonuses. I don't know why I got one...doesn't make sense to me but hey, I signed the papers, so good for me, right?

bekster2008
04-08-09, 09:16 PM
What about a early shipping bonus though? Is that received after MOS school or after recruit training?

CplGiraffe
04-08-09, 09:38 PM
I am not a Marine so don't take this word as gold, however, if your bonus is for MOS then it would be after MOS School. If your bonus is for thing that have nothing to do with your MOS I would assume it is after SOI. It could also be that you receive it at your first duty station as a Marine pointed out above, the difference would have to be that if you fail out of MOS (which I hope you don't), then you will still get it after completion of whatever other MOS School you might have got put in.

Again, not gold.

BR34
04-08-09, 09:42 PM
What about a early shipping bonus though? Is that received after MOS school or after recruit training?

Read your contract. The answer might be in there. I've never got a bonus so I'm not positive, but it couldn't hurt.