PDA

View Full Version : For those interested in decreasing Run Times

Capital M
04-07-09, 07:33 AM
http://running.about.com/od/5kracetrainingschedules/a/5Kadvanced.htm

I came across this program a few weeks ago and since it closely resembled my high school varsity XC practices, I decided I would give it a shot. I've made some changes and Wednesday on the chart correlates to my Tuesday and every week instead of the distance run, I do a time trial 5k (3.1 miles). I got really good results and recommend this to anybody who is trying to cut down your time, whether your trying to get that perfect running score, or just trying to get over the top and pass the IST/PFT

My results so far: The first week I ran a 20 to 21 minute 5k, the normal pace I've been running since high school. Well, I just got back from my run and this morning, for the first time in my life I broke 19 minutes with a run time of 18:42 ( I was at 18:24 at 3 miles) After 3 weeks, I shaved over a minute off that time!

I strongly suggest taking this program and adapting it to yourself. If you can't run the 4 or 5 mile distance run on the first week, cut it down to 3 and 4, or 2 and 3. Try your hardest to do all of the 4x400 IW's, walk a lap in between if you have to. If not, try doing 3. (If there isn't a track near you, Find a nice quiet strip of street, get in a car, and drive a 1/4 mile on it (400m, 1 lap around a standard track), measure it out. Sprint that distance, then walk back, repeat.)

If you do it, just stick to it, every day, even the long days. The past two weeks I've gotten up on Sunday afternoon-ish, started my long distance runs, got about half way through it, and well, the byproduct of the prior nights festivities ended up on the side of the road. No matter how much you don't want to do it, or how crappy you feel (excluding injuries) hit the pavement/track! it pays off. Stay motivated!

Remember, don't push yourself too hard to fast, If you've never run 4 miles before, don't go out and try it the day after you do 4x400's. Acclimate your body to the intensity. Take that day for Cross training and rest your legs. If you feel something tweaked, rest and ice, Doctor if necessary.

Remember to ALWAYS do a light warm up run and then stretch BEFORE you do your running work out

Hope this helps!

meallen07
04-07-09, 10:30 AM
Outstanding! This program looks great, everyone can improve on a run time. Thanks for sharing!

Ethos
04-07-09, 01:02 PM
Here's a good one.

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smartcoach/0,7148,s6-238-277-278-0-0-0-0-0,00.html

TexasDvlDog
04-07-09, 03:27 PM
good info

BigGunz90
04-07-09, 03:49 PM
Here's a good one.

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smartcoach/0,7148,s6-238-277-278-0-0-0-0-0,00.html

Some good stuff there.

Convulsive
04-07-09, 11:56 PM
I think this deserves a sticky. A lot of poolees are probably looking for an effective way to decrease run time and this program looks excellent. If not sticky maybe make a new thread including good ways to increase Pull-ups and Crunches so people have some knowledge on how to Pass the PFT

Petz
04-08-09, 12:15 AM
so PM a mod genius!

Convulsive
04-08-09, 12:33 AM
so PM a mod genius!
im new to the forums and didnt know you had to PM a mod to get something stickied. other forums i've been on you just post a reply saying sticky.

Petz
04-08-09, 12:55 AM
ahhh... then please read the forum rules.

Capital M
04-08-09, 09:12 AM
im new to the forums and didnt know you had to PM a mod to get something stickied. other forums i've been on you just post a reply saying sticky.

This isn't most forums, we play by the Marines rules here. Thanks for your support though