PDA

View Full Version : Running Question

ElDiablo
04-06-09, 01:00 PM
I'm an alright runner. No track star but I can run without totally dying. My question is about climatization (spelling). I'm from Maine and its still a little chilly here, and I was going to start running outside instead of on the treadmill. Then I heard about climitization and how it will effect my lungs. Basically what I heard was that if I run here I'll have a harder time at Boot. Is there any truth to this or should I just keep running on the treadmill?

BigGunz90
04-06-09, 01:06 PM
On the contrary, I ran outside all winter at least twice a week and still felt great when I would step on the treadmill. My lungs did feel scratchy after a long run in the cold but it goes a way after a bit. I personally think that running on the pavement is a lot better than the treadmill so that's what I did.

NoRemorse
04-06-09, 01:12 PM
Run outside. Being on the treadmill isn't really running (physiologically and biomechanically speaking, you're picking up your legs, and the treadmill is moving for you)

Either way, you'll take about 3 weeks or more to acclimatize yourself to the warmer environment down south. That means you'll suck and you'll need to hydrate more. For the IST; hydrate prior and SPRINT.

It's not like going to a different altitude level. You're going to have to worry about excess heat (stay hydrated), heat cramps (stay hydrated), heat exhaustion (stay hydrated) and the silver bullet (stay extra-hydrated!!!). Get the basic point?

Get used to hydrating now, in the colder climates you're just as likely to be dehydrated and not realize it. You can still strengthen your lungs against shock by running in the cold air so just keep going... and hydrate.

Pete0331
04-06-09, 01:16 PM
Run outside. Being on the treadmill isn't really running (physiologically and biomechanically speaking, you're picking up your legs, and the treadmill is moving for you)

Either way, you'll take about 3 weeks or more to acclimatize yourself to the warmer environment down south. That means you'll suck and you'll need to hydrate more. For the IST; hydrate prior and SPRINT.

It's not like going to a different altitude level. You're going to have to worry about excess heat (stay hydrated), heat cramps (stay hydrated), heat exhaustion (stay hydrated) and the silver bullet (stay extra-hydrated!!!). Get the basic point?

Get used to hydrating now, in the colder climates you're just as likely to be dehydrated and not realize it. You can still strengthen your lungs against shock by running in the cold air so just keep going... and hydrate.

Sound advice.
Well said.

ElDiablo
04-07-09, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm going to start running outside. Thanks again.

benw2200
04-07-09, 08:21 PM

Give yourself a few degrees of incline- I always run at 2% minimum.. this will overcome whatever "boosting" effect that the treadmill belt gives to your legs, making it more or less the same as road running. A bit more boring, but it's good for teaching your body to run at an even pace and accurately gauge yourself.