PDA

View Full Version : Can't do a Pull-Up

AlanJames
03-31-09, 02:00 PM
I just bought the Iron Gym perfect pull-up bar, and it seems to be a really nice piece of equipment. The only problem is- I can't even do one pull-up.... I can do like half of one pull-up. Yeah, i'm pretty weak.

Whats some things i can do to increase my pull-ups, or even begin to be able to complete one real pull-up?

NoRemorse
03-31-09, 02:02 PM
Search the forums, there are multiple threads on how to increase/improve your pull-up form and reps.

Step one... get a stool... step two... put your feet on the stool... step three... perform assisted pullups, repeat.

Gunner614
03-31-09, 02:28 PM
I got the Iron Gym too and trust me, it works verry well, but if you cant yet do a pullup, get a stool and hop up on the bar and do negative pullups. FYI negatives are when you start above the bar and slowly let yourself down. Do those every day along with pushups and you'll see your increase.

GySgtRet
03-31-09, 02:41 PM
If you say that you cain't do something then you won't.

Gunny out
:usmc:

NicholasITALY
03-31-09, 02:48 PM
perform a series of push ups.

NoRemorse
03-31-09, 02:57 PM
perform a series of push ups.

Actually that advice is often overlooked. It's a good complimentary movement and a great way to rest between pullup sets ;)

Look up how to do a lat flare on a bodybuilding website or something like that and apply it to your push ups and pull ups.

Lupo22
03-31-09, 03:16 PM
are you overweight? Losing weight is also a big factor. That extra 20 or 30 (or more) pounds you're carrying around can more than hinder your abilities.

SGT7477
03-31-09, 03:53 PM
I just bought the Iron Gym perfect pull-up bar, and it seems to be a really nice piece of equipment. The only problem is- I can't even do one pull-up.... I can do like half of one pull-up. Yeah, i'm pretty weak.

Whats some things i can do to increase my pull-ups, or even begin to be able to complete one real pull-up?
You should have known GySgt Huff.:D

UsmcgunnaB
03-31-09, 08:14 PM
Alright, you need to watch this bro.. i think this will help you immensely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEJkiRyvy0w

Once you can do at least 7 with the assist, start doing them without. Then, once you get at least 7 without the assist, then start adding weight. You will get them down soon.

IF you cannot do pull ups with an assist, you need to focus on two things:
-Dropping your weight
-Building back and arm strength

good luck

Aaron20080630
03-31-09, 08:53 PM
I was waiting for that band to slip off his foot or snap and smack him in the face. haha

UsmcgunnaB
04-01-09, 01:16 AM
haha.. my thoughts exactly

duarte
04-01-09, 07:43 PM
Do timed flex arm hangs and push ups!!

New York
04-02-09, 01:23 AM
I know 2 great exercises that is OVERLOOKED in weight lifting minors (I mean as in with a simple dumbbell at home 15lbs +).

These workouts that helped me max to 12 pull ups/chin ups in 2 weeks, I'm not kidding. But then again I was already doing 6 before, doubled in two weeks. Everyone sees results differently, so do not count on my gains to be the same for you.

First is known as a Cuban Press (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Real_New=%3C%3D+7&Name=&MainMuscle=Shoulders&Equip=Dumbbell&Isolation=&order=Name)

The 2nd one is known as the Dumbbell Shoulder Press (click the first link and look for the name).

With these two workouts you will train (build muscle needed to do a pull up) your shoulders, back and traps properly to support your weight during a pull up. But you have to try to do a pull up at the same time.

Remember to take it easy and slow in the beginning, and do sets of push ups in between rest. This way your heart rate and hype is still at max, DO NOT REST MORE THEN 1.5 minutes, this is to build endurance (if you must, then do so accordingly, lol not a 10 minute rest obviously).

I know several other ones, but you can find them on that website I use as well. Just look for other exercises that can work for you.

Keep us updated on your progress.

AlanJames
04-02-09, 07:22 PM
I've been using a stool to help myself up, then I'll do negative pull-ups without the stool on the way down.

Which arm position is correct? The wide palms out, or the near palms towards my face?

I don't need to loose weight, just gain muscle.

MarinesFTW
04-02-09, 07:44 PM
Any hand position works. When I got my bar and could only do like a half pull up I took some string a old hockey stick and tied it to the ceiling. All I did was put my feet on the bar and would do 4 sets of max pull ups which would be like 15.. Its like doing a homemade version of an assisted pulled up and it helped me greatly incease. Also if your having weight problems try to loose some. I do weighed pull ups once and a while with only 20 pounds and i can do 3 where i normally do about 8-9. Just my two cents.

Lopez561
04-02-09, 08:02 PM
I've been using a stool to help myself up, then I'll do negative pull-ups without the stool on the way down.

Which arm position is correct? The wide palms out, or the near palms towards my face?

I don't need to loose weight, just gain muscle.

You can do either. In my experience though, doing a few days palms out increased my palms in max from 5 to 10.

deano
04-03-09, 01:27 PM
do pushups until you cant, do lat pull downs, and those pull ups with band assist are great i am about 6'4", 215 and i was up to 22 pull ups before shoulder surgery all it takes is alot of work but it is nice to be over prepared(from wat i hear thats impossible lol) good luck!!!!!!:thumbup:

Theboyintrainin
04-03-09, 11:17 PM
I weigh around 175 pounds at five feet nine and I, as well, cannot do a single pull up (since the IST at the last poolee function). Should I be focused on dropping weight or just increasing my strength?

I don't have that much time to lose weight, but I could get an extra couple of pounds off if I keep entirely off the heavy food until I go to Boot.

Also, is the time I have left (a little less than a month and a half) realistically enough to get up to the minimum from where I am now?

MarinesFTW
04-04-09, 09:43 AM
I weigh around 175 pounds at five feet nine and I, as well, cannot do a single pull up (since the IST at the last poolee function). Should I be focused on dropping weight or just increasing my strength?

I don't have that much time to lose weight, but I could get an extra couple of pounds off if I keep entirely off the heavy food until I go to Boot.

Also, is the time I have left (a little less than a month and a half) realistically enough to get up to the minimum from where I am now?

Why are you taking your sweet old time to get them up? IF I was you I wouldn't be on here I would be out running dropping weight and building muscles. In one month you can drop 15 pounds and get 2 pull ups EASY.

abailey
04-07-09, 10:29 AM
I was in the same boat. So I bought the Iron Gym, like you, and tried for about three days. Since I'm 6'2'' I started leaving my feet on the ground and doing assisted pull ups. Needless to say, my pull ups increased to 3 within the month.

Achped
04-07-09, 11:39 AM
I never had a problem doing pullups, but when I was trying to get to 35, I would put my arms on the bar, and jump and pull myself up when I got tired. Maybe you could try to do that, don't jump over the bar, just until maybe your arms are parallel and pull yourself the rest of the way.

Also, do bicep curls, they help your pullups more than you realize.

jcarter73
04-07-09, 11:53 AM
All the advise you have been given is solid... however, if you want to see real results visit this link http://www.4mcd.usmc.mil/AOP/OSOHyattsville/Armstrong%20Pullup%20Program.htm

This program was created by Major Armstrong as he set out to break the world record for dead-hang pull-ups. This program works, follow it to the letter, and you will not only do 1 pull up you'll do 20+...

It's very important to do the push-up routine in the morning when you get out of the rack... You'll be doing 5+ real dead hangs within the first 2 weeks, and if you work hard you'll be doing more than 20 within 3 months...

Give it you ALL... and it's the repetitive nature of the routine that builds the strength you need to get this done.

Now, GET SOME !!!

AlanJames
04-07-09, 12:10 PM
Yeah, i can do 2 dead hang pull ups now. I expect to get to 3 by tommorrow, and i feel like i can add one whole pull-up each day. I'm 6'2" and 150lbs, btw.

wide pull-ups are still nearly impossible for me, tho.

abailey
04-07-09, 01:32 PM
Haha, well you probably feel my pain of monkey arms then right? At least for me, my long arms make my bench press reps ridiculous along with other upperbody workouts.

AlanJames
04-07-09, 01:49 PM
yeah, but long arms help with swimming