PDA

View Full Version : A Medical-Type Question

euphfmc
03-29-09, 10:54 AM
I know most of you have probably been through different screenings and things, so rather than bother everybody in the Ask A Marine section I was hoping I might come here and just run a quick one by some of you who might have had a similar situation going on.

I've got about a two inch long scar on the left side of my abdomen from an accident I had as a kid. I was essentially stabbed/impaled by something accidently and it went about two or three inches deep. It didn't require surgery or anything of the like, just the usual shot and stitches. Is that something they'll probably want to document? Surely, given that it wasn't a major medical issue, there would be no other problem right?

SS109
03-29-09, 11:27 AM
Probably shouldn't even worry about it.. They'll ask you when you get to boot camp about it, just tell em you cut by something when you're a kid. Wont be an issue

DHart
03-31-09, 06:42 AM
I'm not sure if you've talked to your recruiter yet, but I had to tell him about every scar i had. I really have too many minor scares to even mention and forgot about the rest, but the major one i have is a 1/2" scar on my forehead from when i was a child which required stitches. All the others didn't and I had totally forgot about them. Before i sign, I will tell him about the others but they probably wont matter. He documented the one on my forehead though. I think they just use it to help identify you, that god forbid, you die in a combat zone.

Hope this helps.

DHart

Rocky C
03-31-09, 06:47 AM
No problem. Just run it by your Recruiter.

KawiGunny
03-31-09, 09:15 AM
No problem. Just run it by your Recruiter.

True... It will be documented and they will probably check it out just to make sure everything is good to go. Then they will just write it up as an identifying mark.

ElDiablo
03-31-09, 09:49 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. There was a kid that had a huge scar on his chest from where hi tried to brand himself. It was at least 6 inches across and actually stuck out of his chest about a 1/4 inch. Just my two cents, hope it helps.