PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp Day 2

thedrifter
03-26-09, 09:43 AM
Boot Camp Day 2
Created: March 25, 2009 10:53 PM
Modified: March 25, 2009 10:53 PM

Four Ark-La-Tex teachers are hitting the shooting range continuing their journey through Marine Corps Boot Camp.

The group's in Parris Island, South Carolina for an Educator's Workshop.

For these educators in Marine Corps training, the shooting range has become their classroom. But they are now the students.

Anne Lutz of Evangel Christian Academy is there, "My son is going to be so envious of me I just shot an M-16 A-2 service rifle and I got 8 out of 10, so I'm pretty hyped."

They're learning what marine recruits go through in the second phase of training. It's two weeks of intense firearms practice with a primary marksmanship instructor, and their firearms become their closest friend.

But before recruits can hit the range they train in a simulated environment 3 times a week.

By the time the teacher recruits switch from simulated training to live ammunition they've learned all they can about the rifle.

It's knowledge Josh Dahlem, a Manfield High Agriculture teacher, says he's gained from the experience, "When kids come to me and ask about what they want to do after school I can guide them if they want to go into the service I can say they go into the marines and this is what youll have to do."

Ellie