PDA

View Full Version : General Orders quiz

wolf0259
03-25-09, 10:25 PM
A friend of mine who's helping me to memorize my general orders found this quiz online. Thought I'd share.

http://www.funtrivia.com/playquiz/quiz2548161d2ca08.html

Lopez561
03-25-09, 10:33 PM
nice..14/15

wolf0259
03-25-09, 10:35 PM
I've been looking at my orders all day and I still got 12/15 first time through...

Lupo22
03-26-09, 12:12 AM
15/15...although I wish chewing smokeless tobacco WASN'T a violation hehe

mbrazil
03-26-09, 01:51 AM
15/15...although I wish chewing smokeless tobacco WASN'T a violation hehe

Chewing smokeless tobacco is not a violation.

Good quiz, thanks for the post :thumbup:

commdog7
03-26-09, 02:53 AM
Chewing smokeless tobacco is not a violation.

Although it is not a violation, it is unprofessional and has no place in the military. Smoking/dipping/chewing, they are all disgusting. If this applies to any of you, you might want to kick that habit before thinking about serving in my beloved Corps!

High Standards, Rah! :iwo:

Petz
03-26-09, 03:04 AM
it's technically not allowed within 50 feet of a government building (tobacco products) however there are MOSs and units that turn a blind eye to dipping so long as it's in a bottle that seals and you don't let it out of your site for someone to drink.

seen it happen.

but as the motivated Sgt has said, it's un healthy and leads to mouth and throat cancer so you should quit. besides I don't allow any of that dipping crap in my maint bay, so you'd only get the 5 min the smokers get every few hours.... it's kinda a waste of time with dip if you ask me.

avenger08
03-26-09, 05:25 AM
Although it is not a violation, it is unprofessional and has no place in the military. Smoking/dipping/chewing, they are all disgusting. If this applies to any of you, you might want to kick that habit before thinking about serving in my beloved Corps!

High Standards, Rah! :iwo:

you might want to say that to the officers, sncos, nco, and junior marines through out the Marine Corps. cause honestly almost every marine has a bad habbit, either drinking too much, smoking, dipping, whatever it is. theres a bad habit

commdog7
03-26-09, 06:13 AM
you might want to say that to the officers, sncos, nco, and junior marines through out the Marine Corps. cause honestly almost every marine has a bad habbit, either drinking too much, smoking, dipping, whatever it is. theres a bad habit

If I can do it, they can too. Oh, and yes, I have mentioned it to a number of higher ups. We don't need tabacco in the Corps, that sh!t is just nasty. Marines are about higher standards and self-improvement! Every time you take in tabacco, a part of you dies. I don't know about you, but I'd rather die honorably serving my country on the battlefield than die in a hospital from some form cancer because I smoked/dipped/chewed. Rah?

Semper Fidelis :iwo:

JWDevilDog
03-26-09, 07:54 AM
Dipping while walking is prohibited while in uniform, as is smoking. While it is not a violation of the General Orders, it is a Marine Corps Order, I'm pretty sure (or is this simply a standard set in the name of professionalism).

If it does fall under an MCO, then God help you if you walk around with a dip in your mouth while on post, or in uniform in general. Standing or sitting still is allowed, although I personally hate it when people dip around me. It's a nasty habit. I never experienced dippers until I became a Marine.

JWDevilDog
03-26-09, 08:09 AM
Ok, I found it. Here it is in black and white:

MCO P1020.34G W CH1 1004

3. The use of chewing gum, chewing tobacco, cigarettes or the consumption of
food while walking in uniform or while in formation, are examples of
activities that detract from an appropriate military presence. However, good
judgment will govern the application of this policy in the field environment.

0231Marine
03-26-09, 08:29 AM
I think most will find that if their SNCO's or Officers dip, then there won't be an issue and vice versa if their SNCO's and Officers don't dip. Most are understanding in a field environment or while deployed. I used to do it just to keep me awake sometimes or when the sand storms would hit and you couldn't go outside to smoke.

I'm really impartial to whoever does it and most of the Marines I've worked with, both higher and lower in rank didn't mind. If it offended someone while I was doing it, I would have taken it out if they asked and as long as you're careful and aren't leaving your spitters laying around the office, I really think it's a non-issue.

To each his own I guess.

JWDevilDog
03-26-09, 11:28 AM
I'm never gonna ask someone to not dip, if they are being corteous about it. I just think it is a nasty habit. Carrying a clear bottle around all the time with all that sh*t looking liquid and gunk in it? Not for me.

In the field is one thing, and that's fine and I agree that things should be different in the field. But in garrison, it's different.

0231Marine
03-26-09, 11:42 AM
I'm never gonna ask someone to not dip, if they are being corteous about it. I just think it is a nasty habit. Carrying a clear bottle around all the time with all that sh*t looking liquid and gunk in it? Not for me.

In the field is one thing, and that's fine and I agree that things should be different in the field. But in garrison, it's different.

Agreed! I always pulled the tab back on a soda can so that nobody could actually see it in there.

blackshirts
03-26-09, 01:04 PM
I honestly never knew this was an issue. I watched a Marine Tanker school special lastnight and the whole class was chewing. Literally, almost the entire class.

Petz
03-26-09, 01:15 PM
like I said before, it should never be in a can, it can get knocked over and make a mess.... if you put it in a bottle it should have tape around it so no one gets it confused with something they should drink.

KawiGunny
03-26-09, 01:17 PM
The policy is posted and opinions are formed daily concerning this issue. I have seen many Marines start drinking, smoking and chewing/dipping not to long after joining the Corps. A lot of people start because of thier peer's. Peer presure can be a b!tch sometimes when a young kid is trying to fit in.

JWDevilDog
03-26-09, 01:28 PM
Not only the peer pressure, Gunny, but I think plain old stress and boredom are a big factor too. One of my good buddies started smoking one day, six months ago, just because he was bored and had nothing to do when the NCOs gave us smoke breaks. So he borrowed a cigarrette. He swore at first that it did nothing for him, and he even didn't like it. Now he refuses to stop, says he enjoys it. It started with boredom, and turned into an addiction that he thinks he likes.

Lupo22
03-27-09, 12:40 PM
I've been dippin for quite some time and every single person I talk to says that grunts dip like crazy for the most part! They say you get bored, as mentioned and it definetly relieves stress.

The CO of the RSS's in Florida was dippin right in the middle of our interviews after IST. I pulled out my can and shared a dip with him. It was a "bonding" experience. Gave me his card and said if I have any problems getting my MOS or my bonus papers, to give him a call. Nice guy.

Funny story real quick...i was at a bar one time and I had an empty beer bottle spitter...well, after about 8 or 9 beers and a Green Bay loss, I was ****ed. Went to knock back the rest of my beer to leave and grabbed the wrong one...kinda sucked hehe

Anyways, I'm headed for the grunt so hopefully dipping won't be a problem. I did hear though that you get ragged on if you're dippin anything but Cope straight or Skoal straight...none of that sissy flavor crap

commdog7
03-27-09, 06:20 PM
It does not matter who dips and who doesn't, it is a nasty habit and none of you should be doing it. There are other ways to relieve stress such as PTing, at least with PT it helps your body not hurt it in the long run. Why do something that you will regret later down the road? It's just stupid. Don't blame it on peer pressure either, I am telling you right now that sh!t is bad for you and has no place in my beloved Corps!

PS If you are plain bored, go PT!

usmcpooleepfd
03-27-09, 06:22 PM
sweet i got a 15/15 :D

agwilliams
03-27-09, 06:47 PM
9/15 i suck...i havent done these in 10 years though.

Quinbo
03-27-09, 06:57 PM
I had a chance to see General Gray speak a couple times. He would say something to the effect that he didn't want a formation but a school circle and those in the front take a knee etc. One of the first things he would say was who has some copenhagen? 50 cans would be offered to him in a heartbeat. I'm not saying that it is good or bad but our commandant chewed copenhagen. Who ever can he took a dip from got a coin.

Commdog you are right it is a nasty habit and if you don't do it don't start. The only time I've gone more than a day without a chew in the last 30 years was boot camp. I get my ass chewed every time I go to the dentist.

SGT7477
03-27-09, 09:26 PM
If I can do it, they can too. Oh, and yes, I have mentioned it to a number of higher ups. We don't need tabacco in the Corps, that sh!t is just nasty. Marines are about higher standards and self-improvement! Every time you take in tabacco, a part of you dies. I don't know about you, but I'd rather die honorably serving my country on the battlefield than die in a hospital from some form cancer because I smoked/dipped/chewed. Rah?

Semper Fidelis :iwo:
Very well put Marine, I totally agree.:flag:

ImAPuke
03-27-09, 09:35 PM
When I was on the island my Drill Instructor (Sgt.Davis) dipped Copenhagen in the squadbay.

Lupo22
03-27-09, 11:35 PM
3 months without a dip is gonna suck...

and commdog, i plan on quitting when i get out of the corps...i figure if i survive 4-8 years as a grunt, then i'm going to stop everything that could shorten my life :)

JWDevilDog
03-28-09, 12:31 AM

and commdog, i plan on quitting when i get out of the corps...i figure if i survive 4-8 years as a grunt, then i'm going to stop everything that could shorten my life :)

Hahah sorry man, but I don't believe you are gonna quit after four years as a grunt. If anything, you will dip more because of the stress. And the fact that grunts spend a lot of their time in the field, and Marines are usually allowed to dip in the field, well... Good luck...

JWDevilDog
03-28-09, 12:42 AM
Hey, usmcpooleepfd, what happened to your profile? Didn't you have one which was much more complete yesterday? And I can't send you any messages now, so I guess that's it for our conversation about MOS's and such?

Lupo22
03-28-09, 12:43 AM
Hahah sorry man, but I don't believe you are gonna quit after four years as a grunt. If anything, you will dip more because of the stress. And the fact that grunts spend a lot of their time in the field, and Marines are usually allowed to dip in the field, well... Good luck...

I could quit now if I really wanted to but I enjoy it...life's short. do what you like, right? i love to dip

Petz
03-28-09, 12:53 AM
wasn't this thread about the general orders? now it's about dipping....

what's your 8th general order?

JWDevilDog
03-28-09, 01:08 AM

I assume this is a poolee only question, Ssgt?

I could quit now if I really wanted to but I enjoy it...life's short. do what you like, right? i love to dip

Exactly why you won't quit after four years as a grunt.

Petz
03-28-09, 01:09 AM
yeah it was a poolee only question... and you made it the last post on the last page... so when people click the last post they won't even see my post... damn you! hahaha... liked your addition to my genetics lesson to lupo... ahah

JWDevilDog
03-28-09, 01:15 AM
yeah it was a poolee only question... and you made it the last post on the last page... so when people click the last post they won't even see my post... damn you! hahaha... liked your addition to my genetics lesson to lupo... ahah

Damnit! May bad, Ssgt. I'll start hazing myself now. *gets on his face*

ONE, TWO, THREE - ONE!
ONE, TWO, THREE - TWO!
ONE, TWO, THREE - THREE!
THIS IS WHAT YOU ASKED - FOUR!

commdog7
03-28-09, 04:14 AM
When I was on the island my Drill Instructor (Sgt.Davis) dipped Copenhagen in the squadbay.

Maybe I missed something somewhere, but are you a Marine? Or did you not make it through boot camp?

SGT7477
03-28-09, 05:39 AM

It's time to get rid of that nasty sheet,lol.:D

Lupo22
03-28-09, 10:08 AM
wasn't this thread about the general orders? now it's about dipping....

to sound the alarm in case of fire or disorder

commdog7
03-28-09, 10:27 AM

My 8th general order is: Thou shall not dip!!! :D

BigGunz90
03-28-09, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the quiz man...15/15

Lupo22
03-28-09, 05:08 PM

hehehe i got a pinch of skoal peach in right now...ran outta straight at the the boat show and i mooched off my buddy...sweet, but good

blackshirts
03-28-09, 05:51 PM
With all due respect...

Where's your personal vendetta against dip coming from? Just because you don't like it and disapprove of it and think it's nasty doesn't mean everyone has to feel the same way as you do. Dip is legal. Countless numbers of Marines dip and they aren't a lesser Marine for it.

Lupo22
03-28-09, 06:41 PM
[

Petz
03-29-09, 12:07 AM
With all due respect...

Where's your personal vendetta against dip coming from? Just because you don't like it and disapprove of it and think it's nasty doesn't mean everyone has to feel the same way as you do. Dip is legal. Countless numbers of Marines dip and they aren't a lesser Marine for it.

it doesn't matter where her "vendetta" as you call it came from. Point is she feels it's nasty and any Marine of lesser grade will observe and follow such orders and directions as may be given from time to time by Superiors acting according to the rules and articles governing the discipline of the Armed Forces of the United States of America.

If she says no dipping on her time (allowing the same time as smokers have to smoke a cigarette) then there will be no dipping. If she doesn't allow smoking except at chow times or on your own time then she can do that...

I'd do the same thing if Marines weren't so dependent on the stuff. But the wonderful thing about rank, is that if she chooses to tighten my standards, as a good SNCO I'd allow her to so that I don't undermine her authority over her junior Marines.

god only knows I don't want them coming to me every 5 min asking dumb questions.... Sgt up!!!

Capital M
03-29-09, 12:52 AM
Anyways, I'm headed for the grunt so hopefully dipping won't be a problem. I did hear though that you get ragged on if you're dippin anything but Cope straight or Skoal straight...none of that sissy flavor crap

Heh heh. lupo, one of my buddies tried cope last weekend, puked it up, and the can is still in our driveway from when he threw it in disgust.

Ever since my college buddies found out I have plans for the Corps, they convinced me to start dippin'. Unfortunately the first time I was convinced, I was, well, inebriated, and they "failed" to stop me from putting the huge lip I had chosen, into my mouth. Needless to say I can't stand the smell of wintergreen Skoal anymore, as it's associated with a half hour toilet session. I'm now acclimating myself to skoal straight

It reminds me of the scene in Generation Kill (if you have watched it) where Cpl Pearson offers the reporter dip, and says "The first couple of times I dipped, I puked a little. But, as long as you don't puke in [Brad's] Humvee, we won't mind." {And hands him a tin of Cope(or skoal, can't remember)}

Petz
03-29-09, 01:43 AM
are you serious? you'll quit smoking for 3 months without any withdrawls... trust me.

so now you're gonna try dipping like you'll be dipping the whole time in boot camp??

just stop what you're doing and stop being retarded... wait till after boot camp and MCT (they won't let you smoke or dip much at MCT) then you can start back up on your vices.

commdog7
03-29-09, 04:58 AM
That sh!t is cancer in a can! Like I stated earlier, it doesn't do anything good for the body- if you are stressed/bored, then go PT!!! As an NCO, I do have the authority to secure that nastiness....

Petz
03-29-09, 11:40 AM
I like my answer to his statement better Commdog... it's more generalized, covers more ground.

Lupo22
03-29-09, 12:30 PM
The fact of the matter is that many, many Marines dip. It's not going anywhere. If you chose not to let your junior Marines dip, then that's perfectly fine. But like I said, I've met several...

commdog7
03-29-09, 01:13 PM
I like my answer to his statement better Commdog... it's more generalized, covers more ground.

I felt challenged by your statement and felt the need to show you up... guess I should have spent a little more time tightening it up. You may have won this round, but I'll get you next time! :D

Petz
03-29-09, 02:00 PM
are you calling me a woman?! :evilgrin: <br />
<br />
haha... I don't think it's great for the health and well being of Marines to dip, though the effects of dipping will surely come up years later that is not...

Lupo22
03-29-09, 04:03 PM
are you calling me a woman?! :evilgrin:

haha... I don't think it's great for the health and well being of Marines to dip, though the effects of dipping will surely come up years later that is not a reason to make it harder for you to dip just as law has made it more difficult for me to smoke my cigars. I honestly don't mind you takeing a break to dip, or dipping out in the field... but if you dip in my maint bay or in formation/ any other place I can think of that is unprofessional... you'll be eating that pinch, and if you puke you'll be cleaning it up and putting it in your pocket.

All I can say is don't mess with me on fairness.

I under SSgt. I don't dip in inappropriate places. I wouldn't expect to be able to dip in the maint. bays nor formation! But if I did and you made me eat it, it'd be ok. I've swallowed a pinch a couple times on accident. Fell asleep with one in more times than I can count...thats a nasty taste when you wake up!!!

And no SSgt, I would never dream of calling you a woman, hence the generalization and not the exclusion of men and women :cool:

Shick019
03-29-09, 04:15 PM
15/15, I'm a C/SSgt at my JROTC unit, I'd be damned if I was caught even second guessing one of those questions.