PDA

View Full Version : Planning on joining, had a few questions

Samboman
03-11-09, 11:31 PM
Hi, a little background first. I had always wanted to join military, Marines specifically, but had always talked myself out of it for one reason or another. I've always had a lot of respect for US troops and was always wanted to experience the other life and adventure military life had to offer. And now, at 23, I finally felt like it was my time to experience it.

I've talked to a recruiter but haven't settled on any ship dates yet. Was planning on picking Infantry as my MOS. But anyways, I had a few questions I hadn't had the opportunity to ask yet, and also a few i wouldn't mind some other opinions.

I'm also curious to what upcoming deployments will be like. Will there be several deployment opportunities in the next few years (now that Iraq is winding down)? What kind of action is there in Afghanistan? I haven't had any friends serving there, only Iraq, so haven't been able to find good info on what its like. I'm not opposed to deployment for the record, I want to be able to put the skills I learn to use.

Also, I was curious about getting rank promotions from college credits. I had 59 credits and I had read that the army gives up to E3 with a certain amount of credits, but couldn't find info on if Marines do the same.

I guess that's it for now. Thanks for any info guys

rvillac2
03-12-09, 04:24 AM
Read #10:
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59447

0231Marine
03-12-09, 07:09 AM
PFC (E-2) is the highest rank you're going to get with college credits. We don't just hand out rank like the Army and Navy.

Marine84
03-12-09, 08:01 AM
Some of ya'll are playing too many war games on your playstations.

KawiGunny
03-12-09, 08:10 AM
Some of ya'll are playing too many war games on your playstations.

I prefer xbox 360. If I re-up, can I get the 03xx option and go to war......again?

Samboman
03-12-09, 12:25 PM
Not sure what gave you the impression that i'm disillusioned by video games? I thought my questions were valid. I guess that response is just easier than just answering the question. If it was pertaining to the Afghanistan inquiry, I was more curious to as if it was bad as it was years ago, much better, same? Isn't as much coverage in the news about Afghanistan, and I did search but didn't see anything that really detailed the answer. Thanks anyway though

KawiGunny
03-12-09, 02:39 PM
Being an 03xx is a great MOS. It is very demanding both mentally and physically. As far as Afghanistan goes...... things have been heating up over there for several months now. Don't expect it to get any better any time soon either. Once we pull out of Iraq, they will just come to Afghanistan to fight us.

devildog219
03-12-09, 09:08 PM
I'm pretty sure talking to Marines in a sarcastic manner will get you no where quick, however Afghanistan is a hotbed right now and even in Iraq there are still people who are ticked that we are there so if you want to go grunt do it if you think you can handle it. Like Gunny said it isn't a picnic, but you will get to see action no matter where you go. We are Marines its what we do!