PDA

View Full Version : Korean War and ANGLICO

RVHall
03-11-09, 12:57 PM
Several of us young (Vietnam veterans) Marines have been searching for Korean War ANGLICO Marines to document our beginnings. Some of the ANGLICO teams were TAD to the 1st MarDiv or from there to the Korean Marine Corps, and called in close air support at places like Chosin and the Punch Bowl. Some were on islands off the coast calling in NGF. Some were on covert ops, with low-altitude jumps behind North Korean lines, to call in NGF or other ordinance on the enemy leadership, or just doing nasty things to them.

We have little time left to document this part of our history. Most of these Marines are in their late 70's and 80's. I've conversed with four by telephone in the past week, and stopped by the home of one in my state last week. I'll drive a couple of hours and meet another in a few weeks.

If you know a Marine who served with ANGLICO in Korea and who is willing and able to discuss it with an ANGLICO brother, please advise.

sadibenz
03-11-09, 07:47 PM
RVHALL,
Go to AnglicoAssociation.com
Contact section.
Someone there should be able to get some info for you.
We have guys in the group from Vietnam and I'm pretty sure, some that servered during the Korean War.
Good luck to you.

RVHall
03-11-09, 08:28 PM
Great suggestion, that's a great website. Quite a number of the ANGLICO Assoc guys (I'm a member too) are on board the ANGLICO forum, including most of the officers and the historian, an 84-year old Korean War vet, a physician who still puts in 50 and 60 hour weeks at work. I've interviewed him for over half an hour regarding his experiences.

One of the first things I did was place a link to the ANGLICO Association website, due to the great history their historian developed there. He's one of those unforgettable characters that you remember over the course of a lifetime.

We have the "official" ANGLICO casualties, but we don't have those for the covert unit that wasn't supposed to exist, as an Admiral from Pearl expained to them.

When we visit the General Gray Research Center at Quantico, during the reunion, I'll see if there is anything equivalent to Command Cronologies for ANGLICO Marines during the Korean War, so far we have found none.

Thanks for the suggestion, the Association website is defintely the starting point for ANGLICO history.

S/F Vance

sadibenz
03-13-09, 07:40 PM
Glad I could help.
There is a guy named Richard Bennit who might know where to look.
Anglico Assn Member Hanoi Hilton Vet.
Great Guy. I met him up in Oceanside during the 2007 reunion.