PDA

View Full Version : Answer to a DI question

BackhausD
03-09-09, 12:07 AM
Just a curiosity question. If one of your DIs asks you "Are you my friend", is there anyway to answer that question without the end result being "Get on your face"?

codeman92190
03-09-09, 12:49 AM
"Sir, I am whatever you want me to be, sir!"

Haha, how about that?

Petz
03-09-09, 01:21 AM
tell them no. HE is there to instruct you on becoming a Marine, not to become best buddies with.

so if he asks that question, be sure to spout out "No, Sir, You are my Drill Instructor Sir!!" be sure when you yell you are not drawing it out thinking it's louder... so it's not SIIIIRR... got it?

and when I say spout, I mean say it fast and furious or he'll fvck you up.

stipesml
03-09-09, 02:12 AM
why would you not want to get on your face, thats the best part, especially in the sand pit

Wazzu0311
03-09-09, 02:21 AM
just don't say, "Me, Mine, My, or I.." i think that's the one i saw more people get in trouble on then any thing else.

THIS RECRUIT... until otherwise instructed.

0231Marine
03-09-09, 06:52 AM
just don't say, "Me, Mine, My, or I.." i think that's the one i saw more people get in trouble on then any thing else.

THIS RECRUIT... until otherwise instructed.

Fill out your profile, then speak your mind!

0231Marine
03-09-09, 06:56 AM
tell them no. HE is there to instruct you on becoming a Marine, not to become best buddies with.

so if he asks that question, be sure to spout out "No, Sir, You are my Drill Instructor Sir!!" be sure when you yell you are not drawing it out thinking it's louder... so it's not SIIIIRR... got it?

and when I say spout, I mean say it fast and furious or he'll fvck you up.

I would caution you not to refer to the drill instructor with the word, "You".

If it were me, I would phrase it, "No, Sir" as loud as you could and leave it at that. Recruits always open themselves up for more sh!t when they get to wordy when replying to direct questions from the drill instructors. Don't try and give some drawn out answer or sound smart because then, you're just asking for some pain.

God help you if you try and say more than those two words and you stutter or say something you shouldn't. Simple answers are the best.

Achped
03-09-09, 07:14 AM
You will never go wrong with Yes Sir, Aye Sir, or No Sir. (Or Aye Aye sir if you're from the homo left coast)

KawiGunny
03-09-09, 07:14 AM
Might as well just say "He!! yeah. Wanna go get a beer?" Your gonna pay for any answer you give.

0231Marine
03-09-09, 07:16 AM
Might as well just say "He!! yeah. Wanna go get a beer?" Your gonna pay for any answer you give.

LOL! :thumbup:

0231Marine
03-09-09, 07:17 AM
...(Or Aye Aye sir if you're from the homo left coast)

Watch yourself. :)

Rocky C
03-09-09, 08:32 AM

HAHAHAHHA.
Ain't that the truth Gunny.
Either way you're F**Ked,

Rocky

KawiGunny
03-09-09, 08:44 AM
HAHAHAHHA.
Ain't that the truth Gunny.
Either way you're F**Ked,

Rocky

Indeed. Thats one of those questions that has no right answer.:evilgrin:

giveen
03-09-09, 09:24 AM
I would have defiently said something like that when my DI asked me, if I wasnt scared stiff of them at the moment.

SGT7477
03-09-09, 09:27 AM
Just a curiosity question. If one of your DIs asks you "Are you my friend", is there anyway to answer that question without the end result being "Get on your face"?
There won't be a right answer,lol.:D

JohnEaceHunt
03-09-09, 09:38 AM
Backhausd, as stated already 'DO NOT call a Drill Inst., or your PC a 'YOU', under any circumstance. 'You' was equated with a Female sheep. When I went through way back, our DI's carried with them several bottles of Lousiana RED DEVIL HOT sauce, and when called a 'YOU', would make the recruit open the bottle, and without taking it from his mouth DRINK to the last drop the HOTSAUCE. They may not be able to do it now, but they will find a way for you to regret it, and that is for sure. When they were out of Hot Sauce, and a second or third time offender of doing it, they would just COLD-COCK you and wait for you to come to, and get up. SO, don't do it.

Old Marine
03-09-09, 09:49 AM

Any D.I. worth his salt will never ask you that type of question. In the first place dinks are dinks and dinks belong in the pit forever and ever. Dinks are slimey and belong in the pit doing bends and thrusts forever. Dinks are smelly and stink up the whole recruit depot and deserve to be in the pit just for general principals.

I rest my case.

thedrifter
03-09-09, 09:58 AM

Food for Thought

Never call them DI...You have not Earned the Right to call them that...

They are Drill Instructor to You...;)

Wyoming
03-09-09, 10:00 AM
You will never go wrong with Yes Sir, Aye Sir, or No Sir. (Or Aye Aye sir if you're from the homo left coast)

Is this to imply that everyone West of the Mississippi that went to MCRDSD is homo, or you just trying to ****ing be your cutsey self??

Petz
03-09-09, 10:27 AM
I always thought that Aye Aye was traditional... and you only said it to give yourself time to excuse yourself without them telling you to stop.... :D

KawiGunny
03-09-09, 10:47 AM
I always thought that Aye Aye was traditional... and you only said it to give yourself time to excuse yourself without them telling you to stop.... :D

That is traditional from many moons ago. He's just made to be seeing his Ex "bumping boots" with someone else now.:D

Petz
03-09-09, 10:48 AM
haha.

BackhausD
03-09-09, 01:54 PM
Damn...There is no right answer. Thank you Marines.

Do you know any other questions like this that you've heard Drill Instructors ask?

NoRemorse
03-09-09, 01:55 PM
Damn...There is no right answer. Thank you Marines.

Do you know any other questions like this that you've heard Drill Instructors ask?

Just be surprised poolee. It'll be a test of your bearing.

Petz
03-09-09, 02:34 PM
everything is a test of your bearing.

MLMonk
03-09-09, 11:50 PM
You just simply answer "No, Sir!"..Nothing more and nothing less..

And this thread made me think of something for someone to do that has the balls, if a DI asks you if you want to be a DI and accept his Duty Belt and Campaign Cover that he will present to you from himself, answer "Yes, Sir!" and tell us what happens.

Books
03-10-09, 12:00 AM
And this thread made me think of something for someone to do that has the balls, if a DI asks you if you want to be a DI and accept his Duty Belt and Campaign Cover that he will present to you from himself, answer "Yes, Sir!" and tell us what happens.

I am making a promise to the board right now:

If any dialogue similar to the above arises between myself and my Drill Instructor while I am at MCRDPI, I will scream, at the top of the ******Sears Tower of my Lungs, "YES, SIR!"

YOU OVERRIDE THE CENSOR AGAIN AND YOU WILL SEE WHAT I CAN DO>>>>WINKY WINK

BackhausD
03-10-09, 12:12 AM
I am making a promise to the board right now:

If any dialogue similar to the above arises between myself and my Drill Instructor while I am at MCRDPI, I will scream, at the top of the fvcking Sears Tower of my Lungs, "YES, SIR!"

LOL I'm pulling the BS flag. Wait until that Drill Instructor gets on your bus, let alone when you meet your real training Drill Instructors. I will guarantee that your mind will change in .6535375246 seconds. I might have said that before Saturday when I had the privilege of having fun with two of them.
There is no way in hell you will do it.

Petz
03-10-09, 01:07 AM
yeah, a DI did that while I was in boot camp to another recruit and he said yes... I'll be damned if he was wearing that thing for the next twenty min until the senior came in and hazed his ass for the rest of the night!! hahaha... that was great.

yeah, don't say yes... you will get hazed the rest of the cycle and they will enjoy it. don't give them the satisfaction.

semperfiman
03-10-09, 02:00 AM
sir this private hates your guts and take off that funny hat

JWDevilDog
03-10-09, 05:40 AM
It will happen. "Oh, good, recruit, so we must be back on the block now, right? RECRUIT SCHRAMM THINKS I'M HIS DRINKING BUDDY NOW?! RECRUIT SCHRAMM, AM I YOUR DRINKING BUDDY?!!?"

"NO SIR."

Yeah... It'll happen... And you will be too scared sh*tless to respond with anything other than "NO SIR." I promise you that.

NoRemorse
03-10-09, 07:17 AM
sir this private hates your guts and take off that funny hat

LOL, got coffee all over my monitor.

Way to start a morning! :D

SGT7477
03-10-09, 09:51 AM
You just simply answer "No, Sir!"..Nothing more and nothing less..

Our DI's would have never done that, who would have the balls to do that,lol?:D

Petz
03-10-09, 11:17 AM
like I said, a kid in my platoon in boot camp...

C BAKER
03-10-09, 11:22 AM
What would happen if a Drill Instructor asked you if he looked good in his uniform. Anything you say will end up bad. lol

KawiGunny
03-10-09, 11:23 AM
What would happen if a Drill Instructor asked you if he looked good in his uniform. Anything you say will end up bad. lol

Don't ask.....Don't tell:sick:

immaproshooter
03-10-09, 11:25 AM
lol...yup tell him dont ask dont tell

Wyoming
03-10-09, 11:26 AM
like I said, a kid in my platoon in boot camp...

Saw it me ownself. We had a Sgt DI. Small, mean as hell, pointy head.

The recruit that said yes, had a huge head.

The DI's cover looked like a tea cup on a watermellow.

Jeez, did he ever pay.

Made guide the next day.

Held it until graduation.

Petz
03-10-09, 11:26 AM
no, tell him that Obama hasn't repealed the don't ask, don't tell policy yet so you are obligated to not answer that question.

Chumley
03-10-09, 11:49 AM
There is no right answer.

"Smith, what did you shoot on the range today?

Sir. The Private shot 221, Sir!

BS. That's Fvkin BS Smith. You a goddam UNQ. Get on my fvkin quarterdeck Smith!

Sir. Aye, Aye, Sir!"

SGT7477
03-10-09, 12:08 PM
You will learn real quick your answer will never be right.:D

Petz
03-10-09, 12:14 PM
we're beating a rotting corpse here....

NoRemorse
03-10-09, 12:16 PM

Sounds like Boot to me...

Chumley
03-10-09, 12:23 PM

Good point.
Recruit, do you want to be my drinking buddy?
Sir, Report to the quarterdeck. Aye, Aye, Sir!

NoRemorse
03-10-09, 12:43 PM
Good point.
Recruit, do you want to be my drinking buddy?
Sir, Report to the quarterdeck. Aye, Aye, Sir!

Oh, you want to anticipate the order? Good, PLATOON!!! Get in my pit right now!

Pockets empty, blouses off, prepare for a trip around the world, AYE SIR!

Petz
03-10-09, 12:55 PM
that's evil... around the world, glad I never had to do that... though Mike company was doing that so our Senior sent us out there so they couldn't be in our pit... it was funny our senior told us to get in the pit while the other guys were getting toasted... some of us started pushing Mike company out and their DIs started chewing ass... mostly ours... saying his recruits have more time than us so we shouldn't be touching them... that was funny... we kept doing it anyways.

which reminds me of a story.

when we were getting that butt shot that we had to rock back and forth on I remember a Corpsman or naval whatever on the blue side tell us to sing row-row-row your boat, and he saw I wasn't singing it... he asked me why I wasn't singing it and I told him that song is for queers and sailors... he went and told a DI, the DI asked who it was, so the guy told me to stand up, the DI laughed and told me to sit down... My senior found out and he made it a point to make me a squad leader.

BackhausD
03-10-09, 01:03 PM
What's an around the world?

NoRemorse
03-10-09, 01:07 PM
What's an around the world?

A vacation from your squadbay.

BackhausD
03-10-09, 01:13 PM
A vacation from your squadbay.

Oh, sounds like a blast.
:yes:<------- It involves a lot of these.

NoRemorse
03-10-09, 01:17 PM
Oh, sounds like a blast.
:yes:<------- It involves a lot of these.

Yeah... if you take the smile off that one's face and replace it with sand, tears, sweat, blood, pain, terror and sand flea welts.

I know I missed something...

BackhausD
03-10-09, 01:19 PM
Yeah... if you take the smile off that one's face and replace it with sand, tears, sweat, blood, pain, terror and sand flea welts.

I know I missed something...

I knew I should have gone with this guy :no:

Petz
03-10-09, 02:07 PM
yeah, you get a guided tour of your battalion....

Theboyintrainin
03-10-09, 02:12 PM
If I survive Boot, it will be the most worthwhile summer trip ever.

In reply to the original post, I was talking to one of my buddies who got back. Basically, there are wrong answers and there are WRONG answers when questions like that come up.

Petz
03-10-09, 03:15 PM
TBIT.... go for mechanic... but unfortunately... the MOS is closed........... that sucks.

MLMonk
03-10-09, 06:01 PM
yeah, you get a guided tour of your battalion....

I've seen a few make it to 4th Battalion, SSgt, lol.

Petz
03-10-09, 06:18 PM
...... that's litterally a drive to the other side of the island..... I really don't want to know, it hasn't been two years since you've been out of boot yet.... I don't want them getting in trouble.

immaproshooter
03-10-09, 09:35 PM
ya i loved the fact that our DIs told us NOT to obey orders from DI's from other platoons so theyd try to get in our face adn tell us to do **** and we wouldnt and theyd get ****ed and start goin on n on and wed try our damnedest not to break bearing cause it would be hilarious i had to go through that a few times and only a few of us had the balls to stand there and say Sir, this recruit was instructed to disregard all of (Senior)Drill Instructor (fill in blank)'s orders. cause they absolutely hated it and most were afraid to not do it and theyd always do it and theyd get QD'd later for it

Petz
03-10-09, 09:43 PM
QD'd??? try IT'd... it's not hazing.

NoRemorse
03-11-09, 08:06 AM
When in formation outside the squadbay after "Fall In" a drill instructor from another platoon would sometimes appear behind us and issue orders. The first time we executed another drill instructor's orders we were IT'd... by the books... until we died... figuratively speaking of course.

I remember during SDI square-away time some recruit would pipe off with some little thing that he swears he saw a Drill Instructor do. You know, peanut butter packet somewhere in the rack, the sticker off an apple on a rack post, something like that. Of course the refrain was, "That doesn't happen in the Marine Corps, it must have been a dream, recruit!"

It goes without saying that you fail a lot of tests during first phase. Bearing, SDI inspection, initial drill, knowledge... basically everything. Just learn that your standards are not the same as your drill instructor's.

0231Marine
03-11-09, 08:10 AM
Just learn that your standards are not the same as your drill instructor's.

Poolee's, this is the key take away from what NoRemorse posted. For the first phase, you will not do anything correctly, even if you are doing it correctly. Do not take it personal and remember that your drill instructors have a purpose for everything they do, even if it is not obvious to you. Just accept that what you're going through is for the betterment of not only yourself but your platoon. Team work is the over arching goal here and until you all learn it, things will only get tougher.

UsmcMotorT
03-14-09, 09:14 AM
When the Drill Instructor tells you to do Mountain Climbers, do however many you can till you get tired. Then stand at Attention. Then when the DI tells you What the he!! you're doing, tell him, "This recruit reached the top of the Mountain SIR!"

Petz
03-14-09, 11:26 AM
actually that will 7/10 times get you off the quarter deck the first time you do that.... after that they will just tell you to do something else.... but if you do it and you don't have a pool of sweat under you (literally) then they will think you are cheese dicking it.

which reminds me, start practicing diamond push-ups.

C BAKER
03-14-09, 03:07 PM
no, tell him that Obama hasn't repealed the don't ask, don't tell policy yet so you are obligated to not answer that question.

So basically your telling me to say this to a DI "This recruit will say the don't ask don't tell policy Sir!" I have a feeling that they will not like that answer.

BackhausD
03-14-09, 03:36 PM
So basically your telling me to say this to a DI "This recruit will say the don't ask don't tell policy Sir!" I have a feeling that they will not like that answer.

I have a feeling they won't like any of our answers for any of their questions.
IT'S A TRAP!!!

Old Marine
03-14-09, 04:53 PM
When you get to Boot Camp keep your pie hole shut and eyes and ears open.

Zulu 36
03-14-09, 05:23 PM
I have a feeling they won't like any of our answers for any of their questions.
IT'S A TRAP!!!

You discovered the secret. It IS a trap. And they WON'T like any of your answers, no matter how correct. It's a phase (literally), you'll get past it with positive attitude and motivation.

BR34
03-14-09, 06:23 PM
When the Drill Instructor tells you to do Mountain Climbers, do however many you can till you get tired. Then stand at Attention. Then when the DI tells you What the he!! you're doing, tell him, "This recruit reached the top of the Mountain SIR!"

There is actually a flaw with that strategy, Sgt. If I were a D.I. I would simply tell the recruit to dbl time in place his a*s back off my mountain. And when he stopped again...back up he goes!!!

Petz
03-15-09, 12:17 AM
you gotta let the kid go once in a cycle for trying that.... it takes guts...

but it'll only work once.

BackhausD
03-15-09, 12:48 AM
There is actually a flaw with that strategy, Sgt. If I were a D.I. I would simply tell the recruit to dbl time in place his a*s back off my mountain. And when he stopped again...back up he goes!!!

"Oh really recruit, the mountain just grew, get on your face"

Anding
03-15-09, 01:44 AM
Is that right? Back on the block? Just doing what ever the hell we want right?

Take off your blouse, empty your pockets! On the quarter deck!

Quinbo
03-15-09, 05:46 AM
Complete tangent but I can't stand to have stuff in my pockets. Boot camp and beyond taught me that. Walking around with a green monster in one pocket and a boot brush and moonbeam in the other pretty much sucks. Still to this day if I'm driving or whatever I carry just the key. Miniature rubics cube and 9 other junkets on the key ring aint going in my pocket. You want to hang all that crap off your belt loop like a janitor then more power to ya.

Back on topic ... if you get asked them squirelly questions then you have in some way already singled yourself out and no matter what you say you are going to the house of pain. World tour means that you are going to visit every pitt on the depot and it won't be fun. Stack arms ... bends and thrusts push ups, on your back, on your stomach on your back leg lifts... get on the grinder ... don't even bother marching just route step A to B to the next one ... stack arms side straddle hops, push ups moutain climbers.... back on the parade deck ... I aint calling cadence for you non drilling pukes just mob it to the next pitt route step.

Petz
03-15-09, 09:08 AM
it's reveille to all the sand fleas!!!!

NoRemorse
03-16-09, 08:24 AM
Why does that bring back good memories for me? Only in the Marine Corps!