PDA

View Full Version : USMC Reserve

RyanO
03-01-09, 06:35 PM
It has been many years and finally at my age I'm trying to fulfill my dream of becoming a Marine. I知 only able to become a Marine reservist but that is just fine with me. I知 29..married..2 kids..and have a great job..but something was always missing. Finally my wife came to me and ask me what was wrong (I have been down for a bit..gained a lot of weight..etc). I finally told her the truth. I never got be what I believe God wanted me to be. She asked me what that was. I told her I wanted to be a Marine. She started crying. Funny how God works because she said somehow someway..she already knew that. I致e NEVER said anything to her about it. So she said..Go for it...So that痴 the background to my little story. Last week I did meet with the recruiter. Of course to be in the DEP I need to loose some weight 5'9" 230lbs (4pullups - 65situps run_unsure atm). So I知 on my way for that (eating right...cardio and workout everyday). He also stated that he would need to get an age waiver. I hope all falls into place and I知 going to work my ass off to make this dream come true. I知 asking each of you who reads this post to say a little prayer that this will happen for me!! I値l keep you all posted!! :flag:<O:p

BR34
03-01-09, 06:41 PM
Fill out your profile, Ryan.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck on your quest.

Alisium
03-01-09, 06:42 PM
Well, congrats dude.

The reserves are fun. I did both active and reserve. I just turned 30 and have two kids and missing the Marine Corps I'm thinking about going back into the reserves.

It's a lot of fun. Not nearly as much bs as the active side and you get to buy and wear all your own gear if you want (huge selling point for a gear ***** like myself).

It's great if you're a family man cause you really can live the best of both worlds. There are great programs out there for reservist too.

Good luck and I'll say my prayers for you and yours.

iluvatar010
03-01-09, 07:55 PM
I thought the cutting age was 28 for the USMC. Being 29 didn't affect you Ryan0?

usmc2007
03-01-09, 08:19 PM
I thought the cutting age was 28 for the USMC. Being 29 didn't affect you Ryan0?

Not to be rude, but Ryan did say that he had to get an Age Waiver.

iluvatar010
03-01-09, 08:21 PM
My bad... didn't see that part.

Congrats RyanO! stay out of trouble until you ship out.

RyanO
03-01-09, 08:53 PM

For active it is 28, but for reserve it's 29. Reason I'm having to get an age waiver is b/c, they want you to finish boot camp before your 29th birthday. I just turned 29 in Feb..so i'll need an age waiver for the reserve from my understanding.
:flag:

blackshirts
03-02-09, 12:29 PM
If they want you to finish boot camp before 29, how is the age max any different? lol

Anyways, keep us posted and good luck.

Alisium
03-02-09, 01:07 PM
If they want you to finish boot camp before 29, how is the age max any different? lol

Anyways, keep us posted and good luck.

Probably because he'll be 30 by the time he graduates.

*shrug*

immaproshooter
03-02-09, 01:43 PM
hmm must have recently changed it had a guy that was 31 in my platoon when i went through

Alisium
03-02-09, 02:04 PM
Now if you're prior sevice, they'll take that time you were in and subtract it from your max age.

So if you were an amry doggy for four years and you're 31, they'll take off 4 years and you're effectively 27.

Could something similar have been the case?

And there are always waivers any odd assortment of reasons.

immaproshooter
03-02-09, 02:28 PM
no it was his first time. theres also a Marine that just got out of boot last year and is in my unit his son jsut turned 18 and is about to head to boot as well. his first in as well

Alisium
03-02-09, 03:08 PM
Maybe they did expand it. War and end-strength increases make it easier to get in.

I know they raised the commissioning age from 31 to 33.

richerich
03-02-09, 04:02 PM
Really? When was that?

Maybe they did expand it. War and end-strength increases make it easier to get in.

I know they raised the commissioning age from 31 to 33.

Alisium
03-02-09, 04:46 PM
Within the last year or so. I just saw it online.

Are you close?

jetdoc
03-02-09, 05:04 PM
You will for sure be the "old man" within the recruits, haha. Kick azz in bootcamp Ryan.

RyanO
03-02-09, 07:17 PM
You will for sure be the "old man" within the recruits, haha. Kick azz in bootcamp Ryan.

HAHA...So I've already been told :)

Thanks for the comment

:usmc::flag:

RyanO
03-02-09, 07:32 PM
I do have one question...I've been reading on here about people worried about passing the IST, but are already in the DEP. From my understanding I thought you have to do 3 pull ups, 1.5 mile run in 13.5 min and 50 sit ups in 2min just to get into the DEP program. Anyways I did talk to my recruiter this afternoon and he seems very positive that if i can pass the IST that I'll get my age waiver and get into the DEP program. My question is: Do you have to pass the IST to get into the DEP program or is my recruiter having me pass the IST just for the age waiver? Any advise will be helpful. I'm working my arse off to get back in shape. :evilgrin:

Thanks
RyanO:usmc::flag:

immaproshooter
03-02-09, 07:36 PM
you are required to pass the IST to get into DEP but its mainly on the recruiters word whether u can pass or not , once you get to boot black friday is the day you go through the IST if you fail you go to Pork Chop Platoon......if you pass you go back to your normal platoon

kt3of3
03-02-09, 08:42 PM
Age waivers are something I have a lot of first hand knowledge on and here's what I've experienced and learned over the last 3 months concerning the application/approval process (I turned 29 in September of 2008):

As it was explained to me, there are two motivating factors behind the Marine Corps age limit (whether you agree or not, this is what I was told):

* Physical - Most people over the age of 28 haven't taken care of their bodies in a long time if ever. Now they're out of shape and since they're older, they're bodies recover from the rigors of bootcamp slower than the younger recruits and they won't adapt.

* Mental - The 28+ year old Private who is used to living in their own world will have a hard time willfully obeying the 22 year old Corporal telling them to pluck the two stray pubes dangling off the back of the head.

* The maximum age without an age waiver for enlisted full time active and reserve is 28 (though I've also been told before your 28th birthday so ::shrug: I've heard 32 but only if you're prior service.
* My age waiver process was started in early November 2008, it was approved January 13, 2009. Just so you have an idea of how much time it can take.
* I wasn't required to take an IST, I was required to do a full blown PFT. There was no minimum score, I was just told to score as high as possible and honestly, if you can't obtain a perfect score on the PFT you better score pretty close. From what I understand, your PFT score will be a huge factor in whether or not you're approved.
* I had to have an interview with the CO at MEPS, a Major. (This turned out to be a pretty informal affair)
* Had to write an essay on why I want to be a marine and why I'm making the decision so late in life.
* Had to write a statement saying that I am single and have no dependents.
* Had to write a statement concerning a DUI I was arrested for in 2003.
* Needed to have a minimum of 3 DD370 forms (request for character reference) preferably from public officials and one from a supervisor.
* Pictures of my arm tattoo while wearing a PT shirt and a Charlie shirt.
* A high Asvab/GT score helps a bunch.
* There may be more but this is all I can come up with now.

Once my package was put together (All the above documentation along with all the standard medical forms, consent forms, background check, etc) it needed to be approved by the CO at MEPs, then approved again by a Colonel in Kansas City, and final approval was up to General Salinas who commands the western recruiting region and MCRD in San Diego.

That's the gist of it, PM me if you would like more info.

RyanO
03-02-09, 10:10 PM
Age waivers are something I have a lot of first hand knowledge on and here's what I've experienced and learned over the last 3 months concerning the application/approval process (I turned 29 in September of 2008):

As it was explained to me, there are two motivating factors behind the Marine Corps age limit (whether you agree or not, this is what I was told):

* Physical - Most people over the age of 28 haven't taken care of their bodies in a long time if ever. Now they're out of shape and since they're older, they're bodies recover from the rigors of bootcamp slower than the younger recruits and they won't adapt.

* Mental - The 28+ year old Private who is used to living in their own world will have a hard time willfully obeying the 22 year old Corporal telling them to pluck the two stray pubes dangling off the back of the head.

* The maximum age without an age waiver for enlisted full time active and reserve is 28 (though I've also been told before your 28th birthday so ::shrug: I've heard 32 but only if you're prior service.
* My age waiver process was started in early November 2008, it was approved January 13, 2009. Just so you have an idea of how much time it can take.
* I wasn't required to take an IST, I was required to do a full blown PFT. There was no minimum score, I was just told to score as high as possible and honestly, if you can't obtain a perfect score on the PFT you better score pretty close. From what I understand, your PFT score will be a huge factor in whether or not you're approved.
* I had to have an interview with the CO at MEPS, a Major. (This turned out to be a pretty informal affair)
* Had to write an essay on why I want to be a marine and why I'm making the decision so late in life.
* Had to write a statement saying that I am single and have no dependents.
* Had to write a statement concerning a DUI I was arrested for in 2003.
* Needed to have a minimum of 3 DD370 forms (request for character reference) preferably from public officials and one from a supervisor.
* Pictures of my arm tattoo while wearing a PT shirt and a Charlie shirt.
* A high Asvab/GT score helps a bunch.
* There may be more but this is all I can come up with now.

Once my package was put together (All the above documentation along with all the standard medical forms, consent forms, background check, etc) it needed to be approved by the CO at MEPs, then approved again by a Colonel in Kansas City, and final approval was up to General Salinas who commands the western recruiting region and MCRD in San Diego.

That's the gist of it, PM me if you would like more info.

Great info!! Thank you!

Just wondering is this for Reserve or Active duty? I'm hearing that active is a pain to get into, but Reserves seems easier on age and all...??...

kt3of3
03-06-09, 02:30 PM
Great info!! Thank you!

Just wondering is this for Reserve or Active duty? I'm hearing that active is a pain to get into, but Reserves seems easier on age and all...??...

Reserve. Everything that I've been told indicates that the standards are the same whether active or reserve.

RyanO
03-06-09, 06:27 PM
Reserve. Everything that I've been told indicates that the standards are the same whether active or reserve.

Thank you for the update! :flag:

RyanO
03-07-09, 10:08 PM
Now I'm getting really worried about all these waivers I'm going to need. Age, Tattoo, Family..etc. I guess I need to really go down and talk to my recruiter. I really hope for the best, but the more research I do, the more it looks like a slim chance. The only good thing I've got going so far is no criminal record. Use to work for the Sheriffs office as a reserve patrol, so that may look good. Just getting worried :(

Tattoos are the following:

Big Japanese art tattoo on my left sholder almost down to half way point on my biceps.

Two nautical stars on the back of my arms: One blue and One green. Right on the half way point of my back arms. You can see them a little bit in a T-shirt and or a polo. Not much though.

A black detailed shamrock on my left upper ankle. Can be coved by a shock.

Thats all I guess. I just never really thought Tattoos where a big deal. I did tell my recruiter about them, the only thing he said was "As long as they are not gang related then there will be no issue, just a waiver".

Anyways, thanks for reading my worries :)

Ryan

benw2200
03-07-09, 10:19 PM
We had a guy in my platoon at boot who was 33. I don't know what kind of waivers he had to get.. he was a police officer in New York, everyone just called him NYPD. He was in good shape for an old man though, he could definitely outrun and outpull a lot of the 18-20 year olds in the platoon.