PDA

View Full Version : Enlisted to Officer...

NYLady13
06-26-03, 07:31 PM
I just graduated from my junior year, so now my recruiter can "officialy" talk to me, but I was hoping for someone to be brutally honest with me and tell me just how hard it is to go from Enlisted to Officer. I searced through the posts and couldn't really find anything most information on this specific area was kind of vague, maybe I didn't look hard enough, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks for reading this..

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-26-03, 08:06 PM
It isn't real easy to do. If it was, then lots of people would be trying it. That said, there are several programs with this goal in mind. So, if you can do well in school and keep your records looking great you have a shot at it.

22DevilPup87
06-27-03, 12:07 AM
Of course your recruiter is the (wo)man you should be hitting up for answers and advice, but at one time I was considering entering enlisted active duty and becoming an officer so I've done a decent bit of research. I'll share with you what I learned.

As E4B said, doing enlisted AD and then becoming an officer is difficult, not impossible. The Corps is known to grow its own officers.

However, if you'd like the enlisted experience and would like to go Reserves check out Reserves to PLC. I considered that for a while. You go to bootcamp, MCT (or SOI), and MOS school and do your reserve weekends, but in the summer instead of your two weeks with your unit you go to OCS.

I opted against Reserves to PLC because of the possibility of being activated. I want to serve my country and my future Corps but for now I want to know that I can finish my college education and be commissioned.

wrbones
06-27-03, 12:18 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7667&highlight=officer+candidate+school

There's more info on the site as well. You do not want me to find it for ya!

usmc_piper
06-27-03, 08:38 AM
It is difficult to do but by no means impossibile. You can get to Sgt and then to Warrant Officer if you like. Or get your degree in the service and go to OCS.

Semper Fi,
Scott